Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullcrap. I want in on TGE too.
    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
      So you're telling me that a catch that ends one dynasty and starts another, while sending a team to its first Super Bowl is bigger than a catch that 1) WINS the Super Bowl, 2) Ends the only 19-0 bid in NFL history and 3) is faaaar more impressive athletically?

I'm not trying to buzz kill it by comparing it to Clark. My point is that this was the most amazing catch I have seen in a loooong while, and it happened to have occurred IN a Super Bowl, in the waning minutes, and set up the game winning TD.

Plus, "the Great Escape" is not indigenous enough to football to carry the distinction that this moment is worth of, having been used tons of times in other genres.

I'm telling you, this should and likely will go down as one of the legendary moments in all the annals of this great game we love.
      Bottom line is that it's not going take the name "The Catch" away. That has already been set in stone and represents something great in it's own regard. Whether you believe it's better or worse than what we witnessed tonight is simply one person's opinion.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

I said out loud when Eli somehow got out and launched the ball that if someone catches it the Giants win.

But I think that play is bigger than that. That is a career defining play for Eli, he now has done something that his brother hasnt, he has made the play that won his team a superbowl, Peyton bascially got an MVP by default, Eli won it.

That play was the highlight of the game, probably the best play of the season.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

When i saw him pulled by Adalius Thomas i was like: ******* throw it away or make a shuffle pass... but what then happened...WOW.

It shouldnt be the scramble because, well he didnt scramble alot. The Catch? No . Dont disrespect the 9ners and Eli Manning. The Great Escape? Yes. I mean wasnt it Eli who kept the play going?

Comment

One of the most amazing plays in super bowl history. I dont think it will be as remembered as many of the others because it did not end the game on that moment. But, it sure is one of the greatest.

Comment

Won't take credit for this, got it from another board, but I think "The Perfect Reception" (although I still say 'Completion' is more universal for the entire play) has a bit of character to it and dual meaning - basically, the reception that killed the Pats' chance at perfection or at least the peak moment of the drive that did, and secondly, it was anything but a perfect passing play that did it.

Or for that matter, maybe "The Imperfect Reception/Completion" to highlight the latter above meaning but it still references the Pats' quest for perfection by the sheer inclusion of the word perfect.
              Last edited by OzTitan; 02-04-2008, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I'm just so happy for Tyree. First of all he, unexpectedly lost his mother a month ago. But besides that Tyree, is basically just a special team guy. I don't know why we never give him more plays on offense or a look as our #3 WR when guys were injured. Over the past 4 years, everytime David Tyree gots on the field, he makes plays.

Comment

I think both parts of the play were amazing we would not be talking about it if the catch was not made.And there would not be a catch if it were not for the great escape.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

It is just plain silly how amazing that whole play was.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

how about, "The Improbable Reception"

Emphasizes how big of an upset this was, yeah, I could be a sportswriter.

G-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

New York Giants
                      New York Yankees
                      New York Knicks (unfortunately)
                      UConn Basketball
                      Virginia Tech Football
                      UConn Football

Comment

It so hard to pin that play on just one guy. That play was amazing by both Eli and Tyree. It was simply an amazing play, and probably the greatest play in SB history.

They should call it "The Play"

That entire drive was something else. Maybe its bc im in euphoria right now, but I still can't believe it. What a game.

Comment

That was such an insane catch I have no idea what to think about it...I was actually a little surprised they didn't call Eli down in the pocket for forward progress but oh well....

One of the best catches I can remember seeing recently.

Comment

I'm calling that play "The Great Escape" in my next article.
                            Originally posted by Paul
                            Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                            Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                            These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                            MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              It so hard to pin that play on just one guy. That play was amazing by both Eli and Tyree. It was simply an amazing play, and probably the greatest play in SB history.

They should call it "The Play"

That entire drive was something else. Maybe its bc im in euphoria right now, but I still can't believe it. What a game.
                              "The Play" --> Cal vs Stanford

Comment

I'm all for "The Great Escape". Everyone will know what play you mean, and everyone will know what ensues.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information