Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Renji View Post
    "The Play" --> Cal vs Stanford
    Damn.

The thing is, it has to be a two word phrase. The Catch, The Drive, The Tackle, etc, they were all 2 word phrases.

What 2 words can describe this play in its entirety? I don't know if thats possible. The Escape doesn't discuss the incredible play made by Tyree. The Catch doesn't explain what Eli did.

What 2 words can describe both? This is a hard one.

Comment

It was a great play and "the great escape" fits it well, but I think people are just overhyping it a bit at this point, it's not the greatest SB play of all time, I can think of a couple more impressive plays and I don't even think that this was the toughest catch to make this year, yes the circumstances were the biggest, but I can think of one catch that would have been flat out harder to make and it was Ronald Curry against Minn. Getting popped from behind and being blanketed by 2 defenders, lost his helmet and still made the catch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8044bca6

Comment

The Great Escape works so well. Dont know if there could be something to incorporate both the escape and the completion. Hm. I will get my brilliant mind on that.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

"The Impossible" ? I mean impossible concerning ending the Perfect streak, making an impossible catch and making an impossible escape?

Comment

Originally posted by SubNoize View Post
            It was a great play and "the great escape" fits it well, but I think people are just overhyping it a bit at this point, it's not the greatest SB play of all time, I can think of a couple more impressive plays and I don't even think that this was the toughest catch to make this year, yes the circumstances were the biggest, but I can think of one catch that would have been flat out harder to make and it was Ronald Curry against Minn. Getting popped from behind and being blanketed by 2 defenders, lost his helmet and still made the catch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8044bca6
            The circumstances buddy. Thats what makes this just so amazing. This would have been another regular and amazing play if it were against the Vikings with nothing on the line.

This play was against the 18-0 Patriots with less than 2 minutes left while they are down by 4. Thats why this play goes down in history, and another of Roethlisberger or Romo's escapes dont.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Renji View Post
              "The Impossible" ? I mean impossible concerning ending the Perfect streak, making an impossible catch and making an impossible escape?
              Its to vague. You know whats a cool name regarding the game or maybe the play or just in general? Imperfect Perfection. I think it just sounds cool, thats it. Kind of relates to the game.

Comment

well than again, The Dive, the Tackle, the Play...all kind vague :D

Comment

Well with those, you know what happened. Immaculate reception = amazing catch. The Tackle = amazing tackle. The Drive = amazing drive.

The Impossible = amazing ...

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                    Well with those, you know what happened. Immaculate reception = amazing catch. The Tackle = amazing tackle. The Drive = amazing drive.

The Impossible = amazing ...
                    I like the impossible.

Another one is The Resiliency. I think that not only describes that play, but also the entire season. Just ripping off the intro that Fox did thats in my sig.

Comment

I kind of the like " The Shock and Awe." It fits the play pretty well if you break it down. I think all of America was stunned to see Eli break that sack and then everybody was amazed at how Tyree actually held onto the ball. It incorporates both actions that it took to make the play.

Comment

There seemed to be like 4 guys around him, did Eli really not see any other WRs that were more open? I really didn't see another angle but after an scramble like that, there usually always is someone wide open. Amazing play nonetheless.

Comment

The great escape doesn't work. It doesn't describe the play accurately, and people won't know what you're talking about if you just mention it by name out of the blue.

Not sure there is a name you can come up with that both accurately describes it and does it justice, but I'll probably just refer to it as "Manning to Tyree" or "That Giant Play."

And I agree with DMW, that was the single greatest play I've ever seen in a Super Bowl. I jumped straight off the couch and just flipped out while watching the replay. It was unreal. It was amazing that the Pats failed to sack Eli, but that play was all Tyree. Manning just heaved up yet another desperation throw that he's lucky wasn't intercepted. Sure he escaped the inevitable, but without Tyree, people aren't singing Eli's praises.

Comment

Just thought of another one-

"Third and Five."

The play was so damn great, that all you have to do is mention the down and distance and people should know exactly what you're talking about.

Comment

How about "Juke and Dive"?

This deserves a special name, we are honor bounds as die-hards to not rest until we find one.
                              Originally posted by 21ST
                              He was protecting his self
                              Originally posted by tjsunstein
                              From what? His leg?
                              Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                              That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                              "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I read an espn article, where they dubbed it "The Catch II". Rather unoriginal if you ask me. It should be interesting to see what the official name of it will be.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information