Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

:O
    I don't know what y'alls reaction was, but I am simply flabbergasted at the grab that Tyree made on the game winning drive.

I mean, in an age where hyperbole is out of control everywhere you look, the strongest statement I have heard in regard to this play was "it might be one of the best plays in Super Bowl history..."

EXCUSE ME? Here is a catch that 1) is as remarkable a pure "catch" as you will ever see, with the defender trying his balls off to push the ball through the receiver's hands, before WWE-ing the guy across his knee, all while the WR is pinning the ball against his helmet WITH ONE HAND AND somehow managing to prevent the ball from hitting the turf; 2) occurred during the waning minutes of a Super Bowl, with his team down by 4 points, needing a TD, and facing a 4th and long conversion inside their own territory if he doesn't make it.....and that doesn't even include the amazing escape that Eli makes to get the ball off in the first place!!(I'm working myself into a frenzy here)....3) immediatly leads to the game winning score against a previously unbeaten (and supposedly unbeatable) team that is gunning for "best of all time" honors.

Does that cover it? I mean, honestly, what play can you name off of the top of your head that has more going for it? I say that this might be the greatest catch in NFL history--certainly the best that I have witnessed.

Maybe we should come up with a new name for it, but its easily a more noteworthy and remarkable play than what Dwight Clark did, so why not?
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

I don't think it's close to being the same as Clark's catch, and the more impressive part of that play was when Eli somehow got out of that jumble.
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

I think the play should be called the Great Escape cause of Eli's part in that play. I think that was more impressive than the catch personally.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

I think Eli's "The scramble" was more impressive.

Comment

I think "The Great Escape" would be more fitting. Eli escaped about 5 sacks on that play.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Well I don't think so. I'll admit that I'm biased, however that catch in the 1981 NFC Championship isn't necessarily remembered for how spectacular it was. it was an impressive catch, but there have been far better ones in NFL history. It's remembered for putting the 49ers in the Super Bowl and finally getting over Dallas after losing to them time and time again in the 70's, starting their dominance in the 80's...while Dallas didn't get back to the Super Bowl for at least another decade. That's why it's so important and retains that name.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

I'm glad the catch is getting some attention here, after the play that was the part that really amazed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                Well I don't think so. I'll admit that I'm biased, however that catch in the 1981 NFC Championship isn't necessarily remembered for how spectacular it was. it was an impressive catch, but there have been far better ones in NFL history. It's remembered for putting the 49ers in the Super Bowl and finally getting over Dallas after losing to them time and time again in the 70's, starting their dominance in the 80's...while Dallas didn't get back to the Super Bowl for at least another decade. That's why it's so important and retains that name.
                Ditto. The "catch" has very little to do with the catch itself, but rather what it represents. We don't know what this super bowl holds for the giants, so it would be hard to put it on par with that, but I do think that was one of the greatest plays I've ever seen in my life. Maybe "the scramble", who knows.

Comment

"The Great Escape" sounds nice to me.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Excuse me?

Don't get me wrong, Eli getting out of the sack was a real wow moment, one that stands on its own as an all time great moment.....but Tyree catching that ball was something that you will only see a handful of times in your life.

How many times this year have we seen QBs get out of sticky situations like that? But I can't remember a better catch this year in any game,....and maybe not even in the last several.
                    From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Eh. How many times do you see Eli Manning, or any QB weasel his way away from 4 defenders?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

So you're telling me that a catch that ends one dynasty and starts another, while sending a team to its first Super Bowl is bigger than a catch that 1) WINS the Super Bowl, 2) Ends the only 19-0 bid in NFL history and 3) is faaaar more impressive athletically?

I'm not trying to buzz kill it by comparing it to Clark. My point is that this was the most amazing catch I have seen in a loooong while, and it happened to have occurred IN a Super Bowl, in the waning minutes, and set up the game winning TD.

Plus, "the Great Escape" is not indigenous enough to football to carry the distinction that this moment is worth of, having been used tons of times in other genres.

I'm telling you, this should and likely will go down as one of the legendary moments in all the annals of this great game we love.
                        From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                          Excuse me?

Don't get me wrong, Eli getting out of the sack was a real wow moment, one that stands on its own as an all time great moment.....but Tyree catching that ball was something that you will only see a handful of times in your life.

How many times this year have we seen QBs get out of sticky situations like that? But I can't remember a better catch this year in any game,....and maybe not even in the last several.
                          Were you responding to me? I'm not sure. I should have clarified my post a little more. Dwight Clarks "the catch" had very little to do with the catch itself, but what more about what it represents. The fall of the cowboys(in the 80's), the rise of the niners 5 super bowls victories etc etc. I wasn't discrediting the super bowl catch, but I'm just saying, Clarks catch is more than the catch itself.

Comment

I bet we will see a couple names thrown out there in the papers tomorrow. I like "The Escape" or "The Great Escape" though. I don't know maybe they will make something better.

Comment

To be honest I "saw the escape" as more ****** tackling than Eli Manning escaping.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information