Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMWSackMachine
    started a topic "The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

"The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

:O
    I don't know what y'alls reaction was, but I am simply flabbergasted at the grab that Tyree made on the game winning drive.

I mean, in an age where hyperbole is out of control everywhere you look, the strongest statement I have heard in regard to this play was "it might be one of the best plays in Super Bowl history..."

EXCUSE ME? Here is a catch that 1) is as remarkable a pure "catch" as you will ever see, with the defender trying his balls off to push the ball through the receiver's hands, before WWE-ing the guy across his knee, all while the WR is pinning the ball against his helmet WITH ONE HAND AND somehow managing to prevent the ball from hitting the turf; 2) occurred during the waning minutes of a Super Bowl, with his team down by 4 points, needing a TD, and facing a 4th and long conversion inside their own territory if he doesn't make it.....and that doesn't even include the amazing escape that Eli makes to get the ball off in the first place!!(I'm working myself into a frenzy here)....3) immediatly leads to the game winning score against a previously unbeaten (and supposedly unbeatable) team that is gunning for "best of all time" honors.

Does that cover it? I mean, honestly, what play can you name off of the top of your head that has more going for it? I say that this might be the greatest catch in NFL history--certainly the best that I have witnessed.

Maybe we should come up with a new name for it, but its easily a more noteworthy and remarkable play than what Dwight Clark did, so why not?

• P01ntb1ank
    replied
    Well me and my friends keep refering to it as "The Helmet Catch". While it is rather dull, it promptly describes the play and also is easily recognizable to others

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy
    replied
    I will now refer to the play as "The OH ****!" since I'm sure that was everyone's reaction who was actually watching the game.

Leave a comment:

• Jughead10
    replied
    Some guys at a Giants website starting calling it "The Slip and Grip".

Leave a comment:

• Xonraider
    replied
    That was not ''the catch'' more like.. ''The Play''

Leave a comment:

• Forenci
    replied
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    "The Imperfect Play"

it was just that, imperfect. nothing went right except the end result. protection broke down, the throw hung in the air, sloppy tackling by the Pats, the WR had to break off his route, everything went wrong except the end result.

Also, the play pretty much ended the perfect season. Making the Pats season, imperfect.

What you guys think?
    Hmm. Not bad, not bad.

Although, the play did come at the perfect time, to bring down the 'perfect' team, and basically sparked the perfect upset.

Just food for thought.

Still, the 'Imperfect Play' is pretty funny, considering the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• DMWSackMachine
    replied
    Lawl, nice.

I was thinking......

...."TAPE THIS"

:)

Leave a comment:

• sup3rdup3r
    replied
    How about "The giant snatch"

Leave a comment:

• JT Jag
    replied
    "The Pass-And-Catch".

Leave a comment:

• bigbluedefense
    replied
    "The Imperfect Play"

it was just that, imperfect. nothing went right except the end result. protection broke down, the throw hung in the air, sloppy tackling by the Pats, the WR had to break off his route, everything went wrong except the end result.

Also, the play pretty much ended the perfect season. Making the Pats season, imperfect.

What you guys think?

Leave a comment:

• brat316
    replied
    I was thinking the same name the great escape, but then you remeber that great catch.

I think it should be called The Play or the end of perfection.

Leave a comment:

• Forenci
    replied
    Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
    I'm calling that play "The Great Escape" in my next article.
    I demand money for it. Haha.

I think the 'The Great Escape' was something I looked at more for the escape by Eli, as for the play as a whole - well that's a different story I guess.

How about.. 'The Perfect Play'?

I think that would be so fitting, considering it helped bring down the 'perfect Patriots'.

Leave a comment:

• FloridaFootball
    replied
    "The Great Escape"

Leave a comment:

• ShutDwn
    replied
    Originally posted by someone447 View Post
    Personally I like McNair's escape better(about 2 minutes in) but the catch puts it over the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1oK2...eature=related
    Had they scored, that may be the best. That play is pure insanity on Mcnair's part as well. Catching the back end of the ball by pinning it to your helmet is insane.

I think the fact that he is like the fourth string WR makes it crazier.

Leave a comment:

• someone447
    replied
    Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
    Most amazing play I have seen ever. Based on the amazing escape by Eli, getting away from like three guys, the desperation heave, the catch pinned to the helmet, and then it is the Super Bowl on the last drive of the game down four.

You can not trump that, there have been amazing catches, amazing throws and runs, but I have never seen two such impossible individual plays in one.
    Personally I like McNair's escape better(about 2 minutes in) but the catch puts it over the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1oK2...eature=related

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information