Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the NFL's most overrated players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    If were talking about overrated as in specifically on this forum: Terrence Newman and Osi Umenyiora. Both are very good, but they are considered elite on this forum.
    Personally, I think Newman is top 3 in the league. I see him almost every week, he's as consistent and dominant as anyone in the leauge.

Osi, yeah he's starting to become overrated depending on the context of how he's spoken of, but I can't think of any LE in the league id rather have other than Mario Williams. Maybe Jared Allen, but he can't twist and stunt like Osi, is not as good against the run, and can't ZB as well, so yeah pretty much only Mario is ahead of him at LE in my eyes. Tuck is our best defender, but we forget how much Osi opens Tuck up. You gotta watch film of our various stunts, zone blitzes, and bullrushes to see how good Osi really is. You'd change your mind on him if you did.

For the record, my favorite DE in the league other than Tuck and Mario Williams is Aaron Kampman.

I think everyone here just soured on Osi bc we kept talking about him.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
      Patrick Willis (a bit). He is good. We know that. He is not the best MLB in the NFL or NFC. He is too one dimensional right now. Give him a year or two.
      What is your basis for this conclusion?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
        What is your basis for this conclusion?
        Watching him play and looking at his stats.

I am not saying he sucks and everyone overrates him. I am just saying that people who think he is the top MLB in the NFC are wrong, but not for long. He finally started coming on at the end of the year as a run stuffer and started making tackles near the LOS, which was great. What I would like to see more out of him is better coverage, which he has already shown flashes of. I would give him a year or two before he makes a run at the best MLB in NFC/NFL title. Until then, I think guys like Tatupu, Barnett are better than him.

I am not saying he sucks, by any means. I think he is a stud, and is #3 on my jerseys to get list. I just think people get carried away looking at his tackle numbers.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Ive noticed a few names get thrown around as overrated, and those guys are actually good players, maybe some people are tired of hearing their names around the boards or not

But Tony Romo is not overrated, he gets praised for his good and completely blasted for his negatives, no one was singing his praises after the playoffs, so he's right where he should be for a guy who started less then 2 seasons, I mean lets realistically think about how much better he would have to play to NOT be considered overrated, does he need 40 tds and a super bowl ring in 2 years?

Al Harris comes to mind first as overrated, he is physical and a good defender, but no where near top tier level, he needed to show me he could stop burress or TO at least a few times and it rarely happened

For my team ill say Flozell Adams...played great this year but got owned too many times in crunch time, he was beat in the Giants game by one defender lightning quick, and looked like he was stepping in mud too many times...age is catching up to him also

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            I think everyone here just soured on Osi bc we kept talking about him.
            well, he is better and more productive than julius peppers.

bonekrusher on the sig magic
            <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
            <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

Comment

This one's for KILLERSANTA -

Patrick Crayton

Comment

Ah, an off-season forum staple..

Logan Mankins - Anyone watch the Super Bowl?
                I think the craptastic performance of the Patriots offense in the Super Bowl in relation to the poor play of Mankins shows how imporant he's been for the Pats this season.

Comment

bigbluedefense,

you think Mangold is overrated? Just because he was on a bad line means he's overrated. I can't remember any games where I thought he got burned. Yes he'll mess up every now and then but he's a 2nd year starting center, which is not common. I would not say overrated...
                  Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Good topic.

My opinions...

-CB is extremely difficult to grade/rate. It's the hardest position to be consistently successful playing in the NFL because of the rules, evolving offenses/athletes, and nature of the position.

NOT overrated (why they are even mentioned is beyond me): Clinton Portis, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Wes Welker, Bob Sanders.

BAD, but I don't think anyone really thinks they are good, so they don't really fit in as overrated: Shaun Alexander, Roy Williams, Darrell Jackson.

Overrated: Brett Favre, DeAngelo Hall, Jason Peters, Vernon Davis, Reggie Bush, Troy Polamalu, Alex Barron, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jonathan Vilma, Adam Vinatieri.
                    "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

The Chargers are a super talented team, but a few players skate by without getting picked on because they get generalized as a team...

Lo Neal, Jamal Williams, Luis Castillo are bigger name players that are good.. Lo neal is done, jamal is sure as hell not the best DT anymore, and Luis proved himself to be just a luxury and nothing vital..

Florence is maybe the worst player in the league... Thinking any more of him is overrating him..

AS for wes welker, i agree that if he were a 1st or 2nd wr going up against legitimate cbs and not olbs that he would not have anywhere near the success he had this year. With that said, there is no doubt he is a fabulous slot wr and was the player the pats leaned on when the going got tough... Lets just not get carried away..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

The Chargers are a super talented team, but a few players skate by without getting picked on because they get generalized as a team...

Lo Neal, Jamal Williams, Luis Castillo are bigger name players that are good.. Lo neal is done, jamal is sure as hell not the best DT anymore, and Luis proved himself to be just a luxury and nothing vital..

Florence is maybe the worst player in the league... Thinking any more of him is overrating him..

AS for wes welker, i agree that if he were a 1st or 2nd wr going up against legitimate cbs and not olbs that he would not have anywhere near the success he had this year. With that said, there is no doubt he is a fabulous slot wr and was the player the pats leaned on when the going got tough... Lets just not get carried away..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Too me, Shawne Merriman is overrated a bit. He's no lights out. If you wannabe the best, perform in the playoffs. And last year and this year in the playoffs. Tony Ugh and Nick Kaczur, too me, pretty much shut him down. And Laurence Maroney.
                          Last edited by katnip; 02-06-2008, 11:31 PM.
                          Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

I don't get why everyone thinks Troy P. and Willie Parker are overrated.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Parker is not overrated at all. Over 1300 yards the past 2 years and it's not like anyone makes him out to be in the same group with LT.

Comment

The most recent example of the fluidity of the consensus opinion:
                                • Prior to the season - "Manning is better than Tom Brady."
                                • Midway through the season - "Brady is better than Manning."
                                • Prior to the SB - "Brady is the greatest of all time!"
                                • Now - "He is overrated."
                                I thought he was overrated a bit this season even when he was playing well.

Sig by BoneKrusher
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information