No announcement yet.

Toronto Bills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was talk of an NFL game in Montreal last week in the papers, that the guy who manage the olympic stadium was contacted by the NFL to host a game, but he declined, can't blame him, the stadium is one of the less comfortable place you can go. They play on a kind of Astro turf that is dangerous to play on. They played the Alouettes playoff game 2 years ago in there and players just had negative thing to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
      Can always use another Ravens fan, come jump on the Willis McGahee bandwagon!

i already hate the fact that buffalo has a horrible offense lol

it'd be like watching the bills
      but in black and purple

Comment

I get a kick out of this post and all the false information posted here. Toronto is not only the 5th largest market in North America, it has another 3 million people who live closs by giving it a base population of 8 million nevermind that the rest of the country would make it their team and support it.
        The Toronto Blue Jays averaged over 4,000,000 fans a year until a Belgian Brewery bought the team and reduced the payroll from over 100 million a year to around 25 million a year which of course resuted in piss poor teams. Under new onwership the last 3 years, the Blue Jays are drawing well over 2 million fans a year and will break 3 million and maybe get back to 4 million if we can field a serious playoff team. The Raptures are one of the soundest financial franchises in the NBA and regularly sell out their games even though they haven't made the playoffs very often. It is utter nonmsense to think that Toronto is a hockey only city.
        Toronto gets on average 6 NFL games a week on its TV and most Toronto football fans know that the CFL is just a minor league which would disappear if the Bills move.
        Toronto would sell out its stadium with little problem for football with or without Bill's fans although we would perfer that we would keep them. If the team resided in Toronto and played its whole season at home, we have have regular ticket prices similar to most high population cities in the US. The prices they are charging for 1 or 2 games a year is totally inflated to make as much money as possible since the demand is high and the # of games is low.
        All the talk about this Buffalo or that Buffalo group buying the franchise from Wilson isn't going to happen. On the open market the Bills are worth close to a billion dollars and there is no way the team can remain in Buffalo after Wilson dies because no local people can afford that much money. The team is going to move period, so its move it to Toronto where Bills fans can retain there seats or watch it sold to an LA owner and have no access to football.
        Last edited by Iamcanadian; 02-07-2008, 11:39 PM.
        And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
          I get a kick out of this post and all the false information posted here. Toronto is not onl;y the 5th largest market in North America, it has another 3 million people who live closs by giving it a base population of 8 million nevermind that the rest of the country would make it their team and support it.
          The Toronto Blue Jays averaged over 4,000,000 fans a year until a Belgian Brewery bought the team and reduced the payroll from over 100 million a year to around 25 million a year which of course resuted in piss poor teams. Under new onwership the last 3 years, the Blue Jays are drawing well over 2 million fans a year and will break 3 million and maybe get back to 4 million if we can field a serious playoff team. The Raptures are one of the soundest financial franchises in the NBA and regularly sell out their games even though they haven't made the playoffs very often. It is utter nonmsense to think that Toronto is a hockey only city.
          Toronto gets on average 6 NFL games a week on its TV and most Toronto football fans know that the CFL is just a minor league which would disappear if the Bills move.
          Toronto would sell out its stadium with little problem for football with or without Bill's fans although we would perfer that we would keep them. If the team resided in Toronto and played its whole season at home, we have have regular ticket prices similar to most high population cities in the US. The prices they are charging for 1 or 2 games a year is totally inflated to make as much money as possible since the demand is high and the # of games is low.
          All the talk about
          Well, the Jays did everything you could do in 2 years. World Series, AllStar game, MVP's, CY Young's you name it. Broke the record for highest attendance. Why were they drawing so high? They were winning, thats why. When the team tanks, they draw no one. How about 3 years ago (i think 3 years ago) when the Jays were about 3 games back of the AL East lead from the Yankees in September. WEre they drawing then? That was pretty close to wasnt it?

The Raptors weren't drawing when they were losing. I dont know where you got that from. When Babcock was teh GM, and they drafted Arujao #1, the team was a mess. They were a bottom 5 team in the league. They didnt draw. As of late, they have been selling out game after game. They were after division champs last year.

You know why Toronto gets 6 NFL games a week? Lets see. 1 game is the NBS Sunday Nighter, shown Nationally, 1 is the ESPN Monday Nighter shown Nationally, 2-3 games will be shown on CBS and FOX depending on where you live, across the continent. Does this pertain to Canada? Does showing these games in Canada prove anythign about Canadian fans? Seeing as they are American channels, I dont think so.

No, Toronto fans know the CFL is just a minor league. Go tell Hoops, Critesy, or Woot that the CFL is a minor league and see what they say. Go out west or east an tell them its a minor league. The CFL is revered everywhere but Toronto.

I will agree with you though, that the Dome will see out for the beginning, however, after the 5 years (or whatever time eriod it is) ends, the population sizes will depend on the teams success. After all, would you pay $250 a ticket to see the Bills lose 56-10 to the PAtriots? Catch my drift.

I am not sold on Toronto being a sports town, rather a hockey town. I have shown the type of people who live in Toronto, and what the biggest sports are as far as fan bae goes. Someone brought up youth leagues which wasnt right. Like I said, this event will sell in the beginning, but beyond that solely lies with how well the team performs. And as we have seen with every sport not named hockey, a losing team wont sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
            Well, the Jays did everything you could do in 2 years. World Series, AllStar game, MVP's, CY Young's you name it. Broke the record for highest attendance. Why were they drawing so high? They were winning, thats why. When the team tanks, they draw no one. How about 3 years ago (i think 3 years ago) when the Jays were about 3 games back of the AL East lead from the Yankees in September. WEre they drawing then? That was pretty close to wasnt it?
            I would argue the baseball strike in '94 killed baseball in not only Montreal but in Toronto as well. Otherwise they would have continued to build off that success and the Jays would still be the #2 draw in the city.

Comment

The Raptors actually did sell decently when they were bad a few years ago. If you look at how they sold compared to other teams who were playing at about their level or even higher, I would be very confident that their sales would look very good.

Comment

Anybody who thinks Toronto isn't a sports crazy town is simply talking hogwash. The Jays were the top draw in baseball for a decade. The combination of the baseball strike and a new owner (a Belgian Brewery) who reduced payroll by 80% turned off Toronto fans but with new ownership in place, the last 3 seasons have seen a significant return of fans. Toronto will soon be drawing 3 million fans a year on a consistant basis.
                The Raptors have never had an attendence problem even when they never made the playoffs. Even though they have to compete with Hockey almost every night, the games are mostly sold out.
                Toronto not only will support a NFL team, the tickets will be a very hard buy. The games will be sold out within a week, end of story.
                Toronto not only has an immense population base, it is also one of the richest cities in North America.
                The CFL has a contract with the NFL for player development and is strickly minor league. A huge city like Toronto has no real interest in minor league football or minor league anything.
                The choice is simple for Buffalo fans, the financial resourses don't exit in Buffalo to be competitive, hence Wilson's desire to inject money from the Toronto football fans. This is really the only opportunity to make Buffalo a viable franchise. They have been a miserable franchise since FA and the cap came into existance. They have become almost a training ground for the richer NFL franchises who pluck off their FA's every year.
                Buffalo has 2 choices, give up the franchise altogether to another city(which will happen when Wilson dies) or try to work Toronto in with a schedule that will see the Bill's home games split between Buffalo and Toronto just like Green Bay does with the biggest city in Wisconsin. There are no other possibilities for Buffalo, it is simply not big enough to support the team financially by itself.
                In the end Bill's fans will have to decide, split the home schedule or lose the franchise altogether when Wilson dies. Toronto if it doesn't get involved with a split schedule will simply buy the Bills when Wilson dies or they will both see the franchise given to LA. Sooner or later Toronto is going to get a franchise even if it is an expansion one, Buffalo on the other hand will be left with a pro hockey team and nothing else.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Im glad we are getting alot on info from guys from Canada keep it coming all good points

Sick sig by Jackalope

LIFE IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE A SAINTS FAN

Comment

Originally posted by RAZERSAINTS View Post
                    Im glad we are getting alot on info from guys from Canada keep it coming all good points
                    I agree I like seeing what you all think..

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
                      I agree I like seeing what you all think..
                      Canadians (perhaps more specifically southern Ontarians) love NFL football from what I can see. my friends and I at school always talk about the big game, play fantasy football, talk about the draft, play madden, and argue about the patriots (where are the bandwagon riders now?).

NFL is indisputably the superior league (compaired to the CFL) IMO and NFL football is my favourite sport, has been for a couple years and will continue to be when the Bills move to Toronto (hopefully).
                      Last edited by JoeSixPac; 02-08-2008, 06:14 PM.

Kojak Sports Blog (my blog)
                      I like only two teams, the Steelers, and whoever beats the Patriots.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information