No announcement yet.

Patriots Headed for a Fall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're going to have to see a major improvement from at least one other AFC East team for it to be possible. All good streaks end at some point, but the Pats are still a very talented, very well coached, and very motivated team (probably more now than ever).

I'm not sure if they'll produce another season like the one they just had, but they are still easily the best team in the AFC East.

Comment

As long as Belicheck is there cheating then they'll continue to win.
      HALL OF FAMER!
      PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
      JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

They only needed half of the 16 games they won to win the division last year. I think it's pretty safe to say they're a lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
          We're going to have to see a major improvement from at least one other AFC East team for it to be possible. All good streaks end at some point, but the Pats are still a very talented, very well coached, and very motivated team (probably more now than ever).

I'm not sure if they'll produce another season like the one they just had, but they are still easily the best team in the AFC East.
          Exactly. No one in their division can challenge them. Unless they have some terrible terrible injuries it's not happening.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Just a little reminder... Who saw the Browns coming last season? Or the Saints 2 years ago? There always seems to be one team that comes out of nowhere to make a push at the playoffs, I just can't see a reason to completely rule out that happening in the AFC East.

Comment

They will make the playoffs, but I think they won't be great. Their team this year was built to win in the short term. They, uncharacteristically I might add, added big name players in order to win Super Bowl XLII. I think their offense will still be fantastic; however, I think that defense will hold them back from being as good as they were this year. You have an old and nonathletic LB corp. and a mediocre at best secondary that might lose its best player.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                The draft is gonna be key for them. They have the ammo, they can get better at pass rusher (Harvey or Gholston) and can nab a CB in round 2 (if Samuel is gone, they might need 2 CBs though). Oh and Colvin is good, solid, but for a team that doesn't blitz much, they need more pass rush than he offers.

ILB is easily replaceable. Safety though, like you said, might be an issue.

Come to think of it, with a good draft, they might actually get better with some youth.

I stand corrected, maybe, depending on their draft.
                Yeah, I agree. With a solid draft this year, I think they could easily revamp things. If they were able to nab a Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, that helps immediately, and alot. If they are able to grab a solid corner in round 2, that helps alot. Safety, Im up in the air about. Merriweather seems like hes slowly making the transition to CB, and in that case, I think safety needs to be adressed before CB.

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                They will make the playoffs, but I think they won't be great. Their team this year was built to win in the short term. They, uncharacteristically I might add, added big name players in order to win Super Bowl XLII. I think their offense will still be fantastic; however, I think that defense will hold them back from being as good as they were this year. You have an old and nonathletic LB corp. and a mediocre at best secondary that might lose its best player.
                The LB's can get by with another year. Thomas and Bruschi in the middle, and Vrabel and Colvin outside (could be Gholston as well). The DL is fine. The secondary needs some looks regardless. Especially if Asante leaves. Safeties need adjusting. I think they need to draft a safety who they think can take over from Rodney.

Comment

They will be very good but not even near as good as they were this year. Seriously, the pieces were all aligned perfectly for them this year. Being in the free agency era it is simply amazing what they were able to fit in under the cap this year but there will be a few pieces from this year missing next year. I'm thinking 13-3 or 14-2. But like it was stated earlier, what they do with the draft makes a large difference.

Comment

Originally posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
                    As long as Belicheck is there cheating then they'll continue to win.

ding ding ding ding ding. I cannot believe how easy Belicheat would have gotten off if it had not been for this guy coming to light recently, at least now Goodell cant help him get away with it.

FULL INBOX +REP TO SEND MESSAGE.....

Comment

I think they tag Moss and try to make another final push before you start to notice a large drop off. I think it will happen not next year but the year after. I do think they lose some chemistry and momentum and lose the AFC championship game next year though.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
                        Never, Not with the easiest schedule in the league next year. And especially not with Bellichek at the helm.
                        "The easiest schedule in the league" is highly subject to change. I'm sure everyone had the Ravens marked down as a L and the Titans marked down as a W on their schedule prior to the season. Things do change though. As for "Belichick at the helm", don't count on that for 2008.

Anyway, in response to the question posed in the thread, it's not only possible, but highly likely that the Patriots are going to suffer a dropoff from this season. In fact, there are only two ways to avoid such an occurence: 1) go 19-0 or 2) win the Super Bowl. Apart from those two results, 2008 will be a dropoff from 2007 for the Patriots. As far as can they suffer a large dropoff, considering their division, it's not very likely, but considering the age of their defense, it's bound to fall off in the very near future.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Any team that endured the pressure of spygate, a 16-0 regular season, and that playoff run would encounter a drop off. If any team is prepared to deal with this it is the Patriots. They are veteran lead, Brady is a true leader and driven to succeed. I can see them with some significant holes to fill do to FA and retirements, but the core is there and although I have no visions of undefeated again, I think they are serious contenders for the title again next year.

The wild card remains any further punishment for BB in spygate. If they do suspend him, I would expect to see Dante Scharnecchia given the reigns as caretaker and the status quo continuing

Comment

Originally posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
                            Any team that endured the pressure of spygate, a 16-0 regular season, and that playoff run would encounter a drop off. If any team is prepared to deal with this it is the Patriots. They are veteran lead, Brady is a true leader and driven to succeed. I can see them with some significant holes to fill do to FA and retirements, but the core is there and although I have no visions of undefeated again, I think they are serious contenders for the title again next year.

The wild card remains any further punishment for BB in spygate. If they do suspend him, I would expect to see Dante Scharnecchia given the reigns as caretaker and the status quo continuing
                            I agree I dont see that big of a drop. If anything this will motovate them.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

They'll have a small drop off but I still expect them to get a bye. Their record setting offense is basically intact from last year. The defense will be worse but the team is good at finding low priced players to fill in. No way do they not win the division.
                              "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals1690 View Post
                                I seriously can see it happening. The letdown after going almost perfect and getting beat by a wild card team might take a serious psychological toll. That defense is aging, too. Asante Samuel is likely gone, I belive Randy Moss is a free agent (either him or welker, Im not sure). And all of the spygate drama that is undoubtedly going to take place this summer will be wearysome.
                                at worst they would lose first rd of the playoffs...miami, buffalo, and the jets are not ready to win the division for another 2-3 years, so the pats dont have to worry about not making the playoffs.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information