Why delay it? Eli vs. Ben vs. Rivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    The most impressive feat by any of the '04 class is what Philip Rivers did in this year's post-season. He is a warrior, accurate, and smart. I like the way he plays the most, but I realize that I am in the minority with that opinion.
    The best thing is that barring any setback from the surgery, Rivers should have a breakout season in 2008 if history is an indication about Norv and the QBs under his tutelage.

That being said, these three QBs all have their strengths and weaknesses. Ben and Eli are ranked above Rivers for now because they both have rings, but I think Rivers can get one in the future as well.

What I like about each QB:
    Ben has a strong arm, mobile, and can make something out of nothing (that Eli escape in the Superbowl is something Ben does every game).

Eli has great pre snap reads. He's further along than Peyton was at this part of his career. In fact, it was his great reads that neutralized the Patriot's pass rush and blitz attack.

Rivers won't wow anyone with his physical abilities. He just has a do or die mentality. Where most QBs succeed by being composed and calm, Rivers thrive on being emotional and excited. The guy just wins for some odd reason even when he shouldn't like the Titans game earlier in the year where he injured his left leg and we were down by 14 points in the fourth quarter.
    Last edited by Xenos; 02-11-2008, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
      Its just hard to be a Giants QB the NY media is harsh on that team.
      Exactly! The NY media does that to all sports. Remember guys like Weaver, Pavano, Iruabu, and so on. I am not a Yankees fan, but not everyone can play in NY. The media and fans get on you, that's a fact. Javier Vasquez was a pitcher I always liked, and he sucked for the yankees.

It's funny when non NY fans point this out. That's just means it's damn hard playing in this fishbowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
        Big Ben
        Eli
        who?
        Eli should at least be ranked second among this group, he had a horrible defense the last couple years and finally when the defense comes around they win the superbowl (against one of the greatest teams in NFL history not the seahawks who IMO were pretty average).

He didnt even get to practice with his best reciever for almost all of the regular season. And last year Plax gave up on him, Toomer was injured, they basically had no one for Eli except Plax, Shockey, and Barber who all criticized Eli and except for Barber, were very inconsistant. And His offensive line was horrible last two years, but good this year. And had no pro bowlers on offense this year.

Ben had an amazing defense and a great running game, two great ROC recievers (Ward and Randel El). He had a great offensive line with at least two pro bowlers i believe. He also had The Bus and Parker who powered that offense. If he isnt #1 it has to be Eli.

Rivers is supported by LT who basically made the other team wet their pants and not care about the pass as much, while LT also caught and scored TD's off of short passes and Gates is just a beast. His defense was also amazing too (lights out) and he still hasn't even gotten to the Superbowl. The only place i feel he didn't have as much help in was the reciever core, but now he has no excuse with Chambers, Davis, and Jackson.

Comment

• I was gonna write up a big summary of how i feel on all 3 of these guys, since Ive dissected their game like nothing over the past whatever years, but at this point, theres really no point in doing so.

Anyway, my short answer is as of right now, you have to rate them as this:

1. Ben
          2. Eli
          3. Rivers

however, I strongly believe that in the long term future, it will play out like this

1. Eli
          2. Rivers
          3. Ben

to me, the singular most important aspect of evaluating any qb is his ability to read defenses. Thats why I have Ben on the bottom in the long term. He doesn't read defenses very well, but he has exceptional athletic ability.

Make no mistake, I strongly feel that all 3 qbs will eventually win a SB, and I think all 3 will be very good. So its really nitpicking when saying who's better than who, but Im very confident that when the dust settles, thats how we'll eventually rank them.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            I was gonna write up a big summary of how i feel on all 3 of these guys, since Ive dissected their game like nothing over the past whatever years, but at this point, theres really no point in doing so.

Anyway, my short answer is as of right now, you have to rate them as this:

1. Ben
            2. Eli
            3. Rivers

however, I strongly believe that in the long term future, it will play out like this

1. Eli
            2. Rivers
            3. Ben

to me, the singular most important aspect of evaluating any qb is his ability to read defenses. Thats why I have Ben on the bottom in the long term. He doesn't read defenses very well, but he has exceptional athletic ability.

Make no mistake, I strongly feel that all 3 qbs will eventually win a SB, and I think all 3 will be very good. So its really nitpicking when saying who's better than who, but Im very confident that when the dust settles, thats how we'll eventually rank them.
            Two have already done so......so now its just up to Rivers and what you say will be true......I like the post and agree with you

Sick sig by Jackalope

LIFE IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE A SAINTS FAN

Comment

• Originally posted by RAZERSAINTS View Post
              Two have already done so......so now its just up to Rivers and what you say will be true......I like the post and agree with you
              maybe its just a preference of mine, but i always prefer heady qbs over guys with athletic ability.

I had Quinn rated above Russell, I had Cutler and Leinart rated above Vince Young, have it Eli, Rivers, Ben etc.

Thats also why I think Trent Edwards has promise in this league. I was very impressed with his ability as a rookie to diagnose blitzes and zones and hit the open guy. Very impressed.

One knock I have on him is, I want to see him throw more passes downfield. He checks down too much, but as a rookie, I was very impressed.

Im also a Matt Schaub fan.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information