X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Saints Are Working on Taking Jeremy Shockey Off the Giants' Hands
    Posted Feb 28th 2008 9:06PM by Tom Mantzouranis
    Filed under: NY Giants, Saints, New Orleans, New York

Kind of a little shocker with the clock ticking towards free agency, but here's an interesting tidbit from Chris Mortensen -- the Saints made a trade offer to the Giants for happy-go-lucky complete team player Jeremy Shockey.

Now let's take all of this with a grain of salt -- standard Mortensenian operating procedure -- but if true, it makes sense. The Saints' offense has lacked a truly dynamic tight end. Billy Miller has played well, but he and Eric Johnson haven't made a real impact on the offense, and both are unrestricted free agents. Paired with Marques Colston, the two could do wonders for the Saints' red-zone offense.

Beyond that, Sean Payton and Shockey are familiar with each other from Payton's days in New York, and Shockey has stated on occasion that Payton was the driving force behind his early development. Re-joining Payton in a change of scenery might make dude a little cheerier. He'll also be free from the most cancerous relationship he has in New York, with Eli Manning.

Shockey won't be able to push around Drew Brees, the team's unquestioned leader and most respected player, like he did Manning, and Brees will get him the ball enough to keep him happy.

If Mortensen is on the ball with this report, that is.

... Hmmm.
    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

The Saints Are Working on Taking Jeremy Shockey Off the Giants' Hands
      Posted Feb 28th 2008 9:06PM by Tom Mantzouranis
      Filed under: NY Giants, Saints, New Orleans, New York

Kind of a little shocker with the clock ticking towards free agency, but here's an interesting tidbit from Chris Mortensen -- the Saints made a trade offer to the Giants for happy-go-lucky complete team player Jeremy Shockey.

Now let's take all of this with a grain of salt -- standard Mortensenian operating procedure -- but if true, it makes sense. The Saints' offense has lacked a truly dynamic tight end. Billy Miller has played well, but he and Eric Johnson haven't made a real impact on the offense, and both are unrestricted free agents. Paired with Marques Colston, the two could do wonders for the Saints' red-zone offense.

Beyond that, Sean Payton and Shockey are familiar with each other from Payton's days in New York, and Shockey has stated on occasion that Payton was the driving force behind his early development. Re-joining Payton in a change of scenery might make dude a little cheerier. He'll also be free from the most cancerous relationship he has in New York, with Eli Manning.

Shockey won't be able to push around Drew Brees, the team's unquestioned leader and most respected player, like he did Manning, and Brees will get him the ball enough to keep him happy.

If Mortensen is on the ball with this report, that is.
      I'd be surprised if we didn't ask for anything less than a first for shockey, or something like a 2nd and a 3rd. He's not amazing, but we don't use him well, and we know that. He can be much better than he is, just needs the opportunity and a dependant QB. He might get that while being in NY, and i dont think we want to get rid of him at all. So that why the price must be right in order to let him go.

Comment

A first? For Shockey? Lawlz.
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

For what the though? Picks? Player?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            A first? For Shockey? Lawlz.
            Its not like he is on the trading block, we want him back, and he is already under a long contract. I think we would ask for a first, but a 2nd and incentives sounds much more likely to happen.

Comment

I like Shockey, but a first from us (10th overall) is laughable.

Comment

I thought this thread was dead who dug it up?

Comment

That would be moi.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    I like Shockey, but a first from us (10th overall) is laughable.
                    I didnt say 10th overall, when i said what we would offer, i know reese would only offer Shockey for a 1st, he says he's our starting TE, and shockey is a pro bowl TE when healthy.

When i say 2nd with incentives it means in future, meaning next year. So it wouldnt necessarily be the 10th pick overall next year.

Comment

Reported by Chris Mortenson lol, Giants fans how credible is he? Because he's the same guy who came out with the Barber has to go to Mia trade, and you guys old me shockey being traded was a completely different thing...so what is it now, did Mort lose his credibiliy now, or was the other trade just something off of his head also.

Does this rumor have a backbone now?
                      Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 02-28-2008, 10:07 PM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        Reported by Chris Mortenson lol, Giants fans how credible is he? Because he's the same guy who came out with the Barber has to go to Mia trade, and you guys old me shockey being traded was a completely different thing...so what is it now, did Mort lose his credibiliy now, or was the other trade just something off of his head also.

As of right now he's still not credible because we said we have him as our starting TE for next year, and we value him. Shockey wants to stay, we want him to stay, nothing points to a trade except for the fact that he got injured and Kevin Boss has emerged as a good player; so everyone thinks that Eli gained from losing Shockey, and we are better off without him. We don't know if this is true or not, but Shockey is a Pro Bowler when healthy and a great weapon for Eli to use next season without a doubt.

Im not saying its not going to happen, im just saying a very good deal has to be given in order to trade shockey.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Actually Schefter reported the other trade. I agreed with you that Mort is completely unreliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                            Actually Schefter reported the other trade. I agreed with you that Mort is completely unreliable.
                            ahh, no problem just checking, Mort comes up with off the wall things every off season, and he might hit on a few of 10 rumors he comes up with...But do you guys think you will entertain offers? Not necessarily trade him, but listening is another thing if they throw out a good offer.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Giants turn down Shockey trade: The Giants turned down a proposal to trade TE Jeremy Shockey to the New Orleans Saints, who did not offer a first-round pick in return. That's according to Ernie Palladino of the Westchester (N.Y.) Journal News, USA TODAY's sister publication. The Giants are insisting on a first-round pick or a second-rounder plus a starting player in return for Shockey, who was replaced by Kevin Boss in the Super Bowl run after a December leg injury.
                              The fact that the Giants want a first rounder for Shockey is funny.

Comment

Well they said they want a starting player. Maybe a 2nd and Jason David. Ha!

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information