No announcement yet.

Jim Zorn named Redskins Coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone think theres an outside shot of fassell somehow being named o-coordinator now?

i think itd be weird as all hell but i wouldn't rule it out....

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
      I wouldn't....I think Zorn is really an underestimated coach. I was hoping for the past year or two to see him get a coordinator's spot and give him that platform to maybe test head coaching waters one day, and two weeks ago he got that chance, and now today he's the head coach of the Washington Redskins.

When Matt Hasselbeck arrived in Seattle Mike Holmgren knew that he had a QB with potential and someone he saw as a reliable starter. With the work of Jim Zorn Hasselbeck has become a Pro Bowl caliber QB and one hell of a QB. I'm very interested to see what he can do with Jason Campbell; who I believe could have a higher ceiling that what Hasselbeck has achieved.

I'm happy for the man and I think Redskins fans should be joyous with their head coach.
      When Smith arrived the Jaguars defense went from bad to good. It was in the top-12 more often than not. The defense was good even with injuries. He was responsible for the defense, Zorn for a QB. Holmgren was a QB guru and given credit. Jack Del Rio was a defensive guy and given credit.

There are similarities but all in all I think Smith is more experienced and he was responsible for more of a team than Zorn. He also has a Superbowl ring from when he was with the Ravens as the defensive line coach.
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
        When Smith arrived the Jaguars defense went from bad to good. It was in the top-12 more often than not. The defense was good even with injuries. He was responsible for the defense, Zorn for a QB. Holmgren was a QB guru and given credit. Jack Del Rio was a defensive guy and given credit.

There are similarities but all in all I think Smith is more experienced and he was responsible for more of a team than Zorn. He also has a Superbowl ring from when he was with the Ravens.
        I'm not knocking Smith's ability to coach, but the pieces that he was given to work with in Jacksonville were pretty solid, and now he heads to Atlanta where there are glaring holes throughout the team. Jim Zorn walks into a situation where the pieces on offense are very good and he has the chance to be successful right away. Mike Smith will help improve the Falcons organization, but he's not the coach that'll get them to the a playoff caliber team again.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
          I'm not knocking Smith's ability to coach, but the pieces that he was given to work with in Jacksonville were pretty solid, and now he heads to Atlanta where there are glaring holes throughout the team. Jim Zorn walks into a situation where the pieces on offense are very good and he has the chance to be successful right away. Mike Smith will help improve the Falcons organization, but he's not the coach that'll get them to the a playoff caliber team again.
          That is not the point, the point is who would be better stepping in to the same job. I would take Joe Somebody in New England for 2008 over Bill Belichick in Miami for 2008.

Also, the past two years the Jaguars have had some injuries at MLB, DT, etc etc. He has had some pieces but I would not say there are many standout players on that defense outside of Rashean Mathis and the defensive tackles.
          Virginia Tech.
          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

I may be wrong but . . .

Here is my opinion. Snyder did not want to get rid of the staff of coaches they currently have because to do so would mean a great deal of buy-outs ($'s). So none of the "candidates" they interviewed until now (Steve Mariucci, Ron Meeks, Pete Carroll , Jim Schwartz, Gregg Williams, Jim Mora and Steve Spagnuolo) would agree to come in and keep the current staff and not bring in their own guys. Snyder seems to not want to to hire someone who will run the show - he seems to want to hire someone who will run his show. With that in mind, this was the first coach that agreed to keep the same staff - "we will hire you but you cannot make GM decisions or coach decisions" - sounds alot like AL DAVIS.... Thus - as he agreed to the terms of being a lame duck coach - they hired him. It sounds a lot like Dan Snyder will be wearing Elvis glasses and Members club jackets in about 40 years just like AL. This NFC East just got a lot weaker tonight!

Comment

Ive been reading that Snyder may have cooled on Fassel after hearing the public reaction, which was pretty unanimous as not wanting him to be the coach. There must have been some bad blood to choose Jim Zorn over Gregg Williams as head coach though, but lets se how he does first,he has a talented team to work with...

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Truly a WTF moment.

Has this guy even called plays before?

Comment

i agree witch HChu & Rich Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by fondoffilm View Post
                    Truly a WTF moment.

Has this guy even called plays before?
                    He was offensive coordinator at Utah State from 1992-1994.

Calling plays is not the only requirement for being a head coach, however. And as a rookie head coach, he's probably not going to call plays anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Comment

I just have one question... why?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I like Zorn's attitude I seen him a few times on NFL Network in the past he seems like a very likable guy. Its an interesting hire that I actually like, I wouldn't write him off so fast.
                        Taking a Knapp.

Comment

I wonder if this is the way everyone reacted when Andy Reid was hired in Philadelphia. He went straight from QB coach to HC also, and unlike Zorn he was never an OC in college either.
                          "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

whatever dude he is not who snyder wants anyway hes just tryna get zorn to hold the ropes til he can get cowher but i think zorn wont be bad honestly

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                            12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

Reid and Mooch served as QB coaches under Mike Holmgren. Gruden was 'offensive assistant and WR coach' as well.

Holmgren was QB coach under Walsh.

It's a sign, Zorndog will be great.

Comment

still wish they got Steve Spagnuolo... when he becomes a head coach he will be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information