Salary Cap Could Be Gone For Good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    A lot of you are forgetting that Football was great before the salary cap. I would also like to add that if you compare a cap-less NFL to MLB then that shows how little you understand the situation. In the NFL all the teams get money from television contracts, thus the fiscal differential between teams would not be that big.
    No kidding. This would not be the end of the NFL as we know it. Revenue sharing means the teams would each make enough money to stay competitive.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      There corrected it for ya.
      Considering that Lerner is rich and Cleveland is one of the best markets in the NFL?

Comment

You know damn well that Bidwell won't be spending the extra money, might as well start downsizing the league if they do that

Comment

Why the **** do they always change things that work just fine?

Comment

Well I'm looking foward to the Steelers being as awfull as the Pirates each and every year.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
            Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
              most useless post EVER
              Indeed.

Anyway, personnally, I am all in favor of the cap. It rewards intelligence and punishes stupity.

Thanks to BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                A lot of you are forgetting that Football was great before the salary cap.
                You are forgetting that there was no free agengy before the salary cap. Well for most of it. The first year of free agency was uncapped, but then they corrected the problem before the next offseason.
                I would also like to add that if you compare a cap-less NFL to MLB then that shows how little you understand the situation. In the NFL all the teams get money from television contracts, thus the fiscal differential between teams would not be that big.
                All teams in MLB get money from television contracts. It's just not the same amount because they sign they're own deals.

Comment

The NFL is the world's best case of a salary cap in a sporting league, it would be a tragedy to lose it. Want to know what no cap with an open market is like? Anyone here up on the English Premier League? Four major teams in Man-U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool *all* linked by cash flow prosperity, with a few middle dwellers who at best can hope to crack the top 4 placement if they get lucky one year, and a bunch of bottom dwellers behind them who can only ever hope to become a middle dweller (or find a rich new owner interested in winning). If you like soccer, the quality of games is great, but there are two different leagues in one with the EPL - I'm sure teams finishing 5th often feel they've really come 1st.

And before anyone says the EPL doesn't have a draft like the NFL - somewhat true, but the way football works in the UK means clubs can acquire talent in their teens and basically acquire their rights. So while a team like Man U may be able to even do that better (i.e. they're not restricted by any pick order), the fact is even when a middle or lower team develops young talent, by the time he's 22 and a superstar, he's almost always heading off to a big money club anyway.

At least in the EPL, clubs are simultaneously competing in more than just the premiership, as they have various cups and tournaments going on at any one time, and upsets do happen. Sometimes poorer teams can focus on one achievement while the bigger clubs are focusing on something else and sneak by them. But the NFL is only about the one goal and without a cap, it will be very lop sided.

Comment

I like how everybody is trying to twist things, so now signing free agents is an unfair advantage

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Wow, this would pretty much undo everything that Wellington Mara stood for... If we lose the cap in this sport, it will pretty much become baseball! The small market teams would sink, and the top teams would be big market teams.

Comment

If it is true, which it hasn't been confirmed it is yet, but if it is this would be probably the worst thing to happen to modern football.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                        WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                          If it is true, which it hasn't been confirmed it is yet, but if it is this would be probably the worst thing to happen to modern football.
                          Nahhhhhh, it'd be plenty entertaining to see Dan Snyder and George Steinbrenner compete to have the highest payroll in sports. Wouldn't you want to see which can reach a half billion yearly first?

Seriously, if the NFL, its union and its players can't figure out that what they've got now is the best thing going in all of sports, then they all deserve what they get.
                          To get overtaken in popularity by another sport like they overtook baseball and basketball. And to be investigated by Congress.

Comment

Falcons, Patriots, Cowboys, Redskins, Raiders, Giants, Chiefs, Cardinals, 49ers
                            theres 9 teams that i think will sign to remove salery cap

the sad thing is the superstars are on the rich teams Brady,Manning,Romo so they wont go on strike

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                              I like how everybody is trying to twist things, so now signing free agents is an unfair advantage

Err, yeah, it is when a select few teams have far more money to out spend other teams and no ramifications for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
                                Patriots
                                will sign to remove salery cap

the sad thing is the superstars are on the rich teams Brady,Manning,Romo so they wont go on strike
                                Shame to my team. And the others as well.

Thanks to BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information