Panthers release LB Morgan, G Wahle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.heraldonline.com/247/story/357694.html

Morgan says in the article that he definitely plans to play this year, although I would think he won't play for scraps if he's going to risk further injury/concussions.

Also, the article states that with more cuts coming, David Carr and DeShaun Foster are likely at the top of that list and their releases would save the Panthers around $5M in cap space. I'm amazed they didn't already cut Carr, they have zero confidence in him whatsoever as a quarterback.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post

Also, the article states that with more cuts coming, David Carr and DeShaun Foster are likely at the top of that list and their releases would save the Panthers around $5M in cap space. I'm amazed they didn't already cut Carr, they have zero confidence in him whatsoever as a quarterback.
      I'm going to go a head and eat some crow I really felt Carr was just playing on a bad team in Houston and would step up his game on a new team well I was wrong.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post

Morgan says in the article that he definitely plans to play this year, although I would think he won't play for scraps if he's going to risk further injury/concussions.

Its time for them to let Foster go. Williams is Faster, younger and I think a better player. And he is the future. Save the money and let the youngster play.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Morgan's career really got sidetracked by injuries, he is one of the best linebackers i've ever seen in college... 4 year starter at Miami, sub 4.5 speed, mean and nasty and could close in on anyone and run with the best of them. He was absolutely everything you look for in a linebacker and was really the defintion of a 1st round linebacker.

He must really have a love for the game after his half a dozen or so concusions and still wanting to play, have to hand it to him for that.

Comment

Morgan was too nasty it would seem, he was so fantastic he hurt himself. Pretty sad.

Comment

Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
              Morgan was too nasty it would seem, he was so fantastic he hurt himself. Pretty sad.
              Haha. Morgan is a injury machine!

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
              1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
              2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
              3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
              3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
              4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
              5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
              6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
              7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union

Comment

Morgan's constant concussions are scary. That stuff is terrible in the long run.. see: Chris Benoit.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                  I agree the Chiefs are far from a playoff team but if they really want to see what Croyle can or can't do they have to give him a line I would prefer a younger player like Ryan Lilja. It looks like there will only be two starters from this season starting next year if that Brain Waters is the only lock to start and even his play went down hill some with no one around him.
                  Didn't you guys already release him once? Really can't see him being picked up (and naturally being grossly overpaid) again

Comment

KC signed Lilja as an UDFA in 04, released him right before the season started and probably hoped he'd clear waivers. Now he's been developed (four-year starter with the Colts) and they have a greater need at guard than before, plus he was born in Kansas City and attended Kansas State so obviously it's a market he's familiar with.

I've thought for some time that the Chiefs will sign Lilja this offseason, honestly.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by KCJ58 View Post
                      Blindside will be angry
                      Not so much angry as sad. Morgan is the sort of guy who would've taken a vet minimum to play on the weakside or something.

Hell he'd probably end up selling programs before games if he was fully out of the game, he love/d the team that much.

Just sad to see my favourite player getting turfed.

As for Wahle. I understand it. He's probably a 7 out of 10 as far as guards go but is being paid 10/10 money. Plus he's thirty years old and will be 31 soon and while most linemen can play well into their thirties the last few years he'd had minor to medium issues with his back and his hips and I don't really think that after next season he'll still be able to play at a pro bowl calibre.

The team is deep at interior lineman with Hangartner, Mathis, Kalil, Bridges and Hartwig all capable of playing just about all three spots (bridges is only a RG) so, I can see the team's reasoning.

Cut an older player who'll be on the downside of his career with somewhat of an injury cloud and plug in a younger cheaper player while we use the other money on FA and draft picks.

That said.

I don't think there's a player on our roster who can fill that hole as yet and I also don't think that there's any chance that we have a left side of the line as strong as it was the last two years next year.

Wharton is a FA and with Wahle gone thats the entire blindside that needs to be rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by energizerbunny View Post
                        Morgan's career really got sidetracked by injuries, he is one of the best linebackers i've ever seen in college... 4 year starter at Miami, sub 4.5 speed, mean and nasty and could close in on anyone and run with the best of them. He was absolutely everything you look for in a linebacker and was really the defintion of a 1st round linebacker.

He must really have a love for the game after his half a dozen or so concusions and still wanting to play, have to hand it to him for that.
                        Sam Mills said Dan Morgan had the potential to be the best linebacker to ever strap on cleats.

I still feel his superbowl performance has got to be one of the top 5 by a linebacker all time.

Comment

The problem I have with putting him at will is that we go through an adjustment phase every year after he gets injured. We clearly cannot count on him to be the starter the whole year so why waste the team's time and the eventual starters time?

Great player, wish I didn't have to say that.

Comment

he is a great player to bad he got hurt

Sick sig by Jackalope

LIFE IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE A SAINTS FAN

Comment

without the concussions, he'd be one of the best... now.. not so much.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                                without the concussions, he'd be one of the best... now.. not so much.
                                I agree the guy was a monster........To bad

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information