Zach Thomas Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
    But when we have Tedy Bruschi, Junior Seau and Adalius Thomas all for two spots, why would we waste money on Thomas?
    Beacuse i believe at least one of them will retire...and they are all old. Hence they could do with a breather.

Comment

Thomas is too small to play ILB in a 3-4. I don't see it.

I like the Lions fit though, though I'm not sure how well he'd do dropping back into zone coverage, which is the primary responsibility.

Maybe the Saints. That would make some sense.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

His playing days might be over. He'll catch on somewhere but I wouldn't doubt it if he got injured again early on in the seaosn and that is that. If I'm looking for a perfect fit for him, I look at Jacksonville. Not that Jacksonville really needs him at all, I just think he could still have a chance to excel in that defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          Good point, I suppose. Although Thomas can play outside though like Vrabel, and might be more suited/valuable there. Colvin is signed through 2008 with a $7.6M cap charge this season, so he might be gone this offseason if not next as a free agent. I think outside linebacker is a bigger concern for Belichick.

Since we're discussing value according to Belichick, I don't think he values cornerback enough to take him with their first round pick either. I think he'll wait at least one round to pick up the first prospect to develop, like he did with Samuel, Hobbs, and Randall G.

But I expect mockers to keep giving them an inside linebacker or a cornerback, like they do a guard for the Colts early. Some people just don't understand that certain teams value positions differently.
          Yea, we do need an OLB. Thats why I like the idea of Vernon Gholston falling to us. If he is there, its a no brainer that we take him.

Your definately right about how Bill values corners. People like to think that Bill will take a CB in the first round, but he wont, especially not at #7, where there could potentially be top DL, who Bill values, probably, the most on the whole defense.

Comment

one of my favorite players. he was what i love about linebackers. tough, consistent, durable, hard hitting, smart, instinctive, big time leader, i can go on and on.

loved that guy. but i guess its time to move on.

Comment

At least Thomas would give the Lions a stopgap until they could develop a middle linebacker to follow him. But they better not overspend on him, come on Millen.

Then again, they're checking out Al Wilson already, right? If fully healthy, he might be a better option as a veteran guy to help hold the fort until they bring in much-needed defensive talent in the next 2 or 3 years.

It's not the ideal way to run the defense, with a MIKE who isn't great in coverage and probably better as a thumper, but either guy might be better than what the Lions have now.
              Last edited by Geo; 02-14-2008, 02:15 PM.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

some how he will find his way to the Pats.
                Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

He'll be a Bronco.

Comment

Trading him was out of the question? I thought he could garner a 5th at least.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      Thomas is too small to play ILB in a 3-4. I don't see it.

I like the Lions fit though, though I'm not sure how well he'd do dropping back into zone coverage, which is the primary responsibility.

Maybe the Saints. That would make some sense.
                      He is not too small to play ILB in a 3-4. He actually has done it at a high level in 2006 and had 52 tackles in 5 games last season. I hate when people say such and such a player cannot play in a scheme just because he isn't an ideal fit.

Even if a player is small and undersized, he can be better than a big thumper if he understands leverage and pursuit angles. That is football.

I do however, also think that he would be a great fit in NO. I am betting that he wants to play for a team thats a contender so that would probably rule out teams like the Lions and Raiders who still are a few years away. Realistically the Saints just need some pieces on defense to compete, because their current lbs are terrible.

Comment

I could see both Thomas and Taylor end up in New England. Granted, there's a lot of possibilities that exist. Of course, I could see Dan Morgan end up in New England as well, and they aren't going to sign or trade for every veteran LB.

As for the idea of Thomas in New England - Bruschi/Seau shouldn't be playing fulltime anymore. Having those three old guys rotate in there, with Adalius next to them, wouldn't be the worst idea. It gives them flexibility and safety in case an injury happens to Colvin, allowing them to kick Adalius outside and still having a rotation inside.

As for Taylor - I still believe that Parcells will make a deal with him, and if the Patriots offer the best deal, I don't think Parcells will care that it's within division as long as it makes sense for him. I know I was blasted by some last time I mentioned it, but I just don't see why Parcells would be hesitant if he gets enough value. My guess is that it'll take a late 2nd or early 3rd to pry Taylor.

Other teams I could see Thomas:

Cincinnati - they could use some leadership.

Tennessee - this one might make the most sense of 4-3 teams. they could use a mike there.

Denver - it's a thought. That said, DJ played well enough down the stretch.

New Orleans Saints - would be an upgrade to what they have now, and a team that's competitive. also brings him closer to home, if that makes a difference (i know he has that health club in texas).

those 4 seem to make the most sense out of the entire league, but who knows. maybe he calls it quits, or maybe he takes a backup role. can't think of many other teams that would utilize him in a key way.

Comment

I can see him signing with a contender.
                          Maybe the Pats...

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                          my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                          But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Xonraider View Post
                            Hmm... wouldn't be a bad a quisition for Oakland, we could move Kirk to SLB.
                            I wouldnt wanna move Morrison out of his natural position again just to accomodate an old veteran who wouldnt give us more than a year or two anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
                              Beacuse i believe at least one of them will retire...and they are all old. Hence they could do with a breather.
                              Adalius won't retire, but I definately could see Seau doing so.

Comment

he should goto the patriots
                                also i dont think Seau is going to retire

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information