Rules question, settle an argument

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules question, settle an argument

Hey guys need a question answered. If a player is tackled is kept from touching the ground because the tackler is underneath him on the ground, can the player get up and continue running?

Yes, as long as anything other than his feet or hands touch the ground, which is very unlikely. Plus there's also forward progress which would probably mark him down because he would be stopped.

Comment

Yes, they can fall on top of players but as long as they are not touching the ground they can continue the play.

Comment

I think this happened with Braylon Edwards this year against Arizona.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Yes. I believe Cotchery of the Jets had a play like that last year or the year before.

Comment

Yeah he did. I forget against who, but I remember watching that.
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
              I think this happened with Braylon Edwards this year against Arizona.
              No, this was completely different. Braylon was down by contact because he was touched before he touched the ground. I, as a Browns fan, thought it was a bad call. But it went both ways when K2 was pushed out at the end.

Brownstown is saying that if you were to fall on another player. Braylon just was touched.

Comment

Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
                No, this was completely different. Braylon was down by contact because he was touched before he touched the ground. I, as a Browns fan, thought it was a bad call. But it went both ways when K2 was pushed out at the end.

Brownstown is saying that if you were to fall on another player. Braylon just was touched.
                Oh okay. Well like someone just said, Cotchery made one of those plays last year.

Comment

Similar situations happen when halfbacks try to jump over the top at the goal line and end up on a pile of players. It happened in the Chargers/Titans wild card game when LT tried to jump over the top but was stopped short. He was on a pile of people and leaned the ball over for the score.

Comment

Cotchery's 71-yard reception made it 24-7 in the third quarter. Pennington scrambled and his long pass down the right sideline went to Cotchery, who turned, backpedaled and leaped for the ball near the Patriots 30. He was hit hard by Chad Scott and fell on top of Eugene Wilson's back, but hearing no whistle, Cotchery popped up and ran into the end zone.

Belichick challenged the play, but the referees ruled only Cotchery's hand touched the ground.

"Once I caught the ball, I knew I landed on top of the defender," Cotchery said. "So I knew my knee didn't hit the ground and I was just going to get up and run."
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260917020

Comment

in my understanding, a play isn't over until the player holding the ball touches the ground with his knees. The Edwards play evidenced that.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                        in my understanding, a play isn't over until the player holding the ball touches the ground with his knees. The Edwards play evidenced that.
                        I think it was a bad call. He rolled on the ground and was touched so he should have been down. Maybe there is a rule I'm missing or something.

Comment

Thanks to all who answered. I was actually over a friend's house and was typing up the question on his iTouch, we were trying to see who won a football game we played.

Comment

As long as the player doesn't make contact with the ground, the play is still live.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                            On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                            Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Dante Hall made a play like that classic.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information