Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Teams face QB Problems this offseason...ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...pat&id=3254542

In terms of numbers and experience, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers might have the NFL's best quarterback situation, with access to five guys who have started at one point during their pro careers.
    But look more closely at the situation before you finish the math.

The reality is the Bucs have one sure thing at quarterback. That's Jeff Garcia, who will turn 38 on Sunday. Maybe the Bucs can squeeze another year or two out of the four-time Pro Bowler, and Garcia did say earlier this month that coach Jon Gruden wants him to play another four or five years. Even so, Garcia's age means the Bucs have a quarterback quandary as they prepare for free agency and the draft.

In addition to Garcia, they have Luke McCown and Bruce Gradkowski, a pair of young players who might be decent backups, at best. They also, for now, have Chris Simms. He once was viewed as Tampa Bay's quarterback for the long term, but he hasn't played a game since having his spleen removed early in the 2006 season.

The Bucs seem to doubt Simms will ever again be the player who led the team to the NFC South title in 2005, so they might trade or release him before too long. The Bucs also hold the rights to Jake Plummer, but the odds of him playing again are minimal.

So what will the Bucs do if Garcia's age suddenly catches up to him? The answer probably is not on the current roster, which is why the Bucs must look long and hard for a more youthful alternative in a free-agency class that is slim and a draft class that is led by Boston College's Matt Ryan, Louisville's Brian Brohm, Delaware's Joe Flacco, Michigan's Chad Henne and Kentucky's Andre' Woodson.

But Tampa Bay isn't the only team looking for quarterback help. Here are eight other teams facing major quarterback decisions:

Atlanta Falcons

Harrington
    Quandary: Michael Vick is in a federal penitentiary. And can anybody expect Joey Harrington or Chris Redman (who can become a free agent) to be the long-term answer?

Solution: Owner Arthur Blank is known for his patience, and he signed off on the Falcons chopping a bunch of veteran players. That signaled a lengthy rebuilding process. New coach Mike Smith is going to have some time, so it makes sense to use a top-five pick on a potential franchise quarterback who can grow with a young team.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baltimore Ravens

McNair
    Quandary:
    Steve McNair might be washed up, and Kyle Boller can't put points on the board. Alleged offensive guru Brian Billick never got much out of this offense, and that is why he is gone. Successor John Harbaugh needs a legitimate attack.

Solution: The Philadelphia Eagles say Donovan McNabb isn't on the market, even though Kevin Kolb is waiting in the wings. McNabb-to-Baltimore rumors are out there, but in the long run, the Ravens might be better off just drafting a quarterback early.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carolina Panthers

Delhomme

Quandary: The assumption is that Jake Delhomme will come back as good as or better than before. But there are no guarantees with Tommy John surgery. Matt Moore showed some promise late last year, and Brett Basanez has the potential to be a nice backup. But the Panthers need an insurance policy for Delhomme, because coach John Fox won't survive a third straight season without making the playoffs.

Solution
    : Amazingly, David Carr remains on the roster. But he won't for long. The Panthers need a veteran with some starting experience.

Chicago Bears

Grossman
    Quandary
    : The Bears have been wasting a potentially great defense by trying to scrape by with Rex Grossman and Brian Griese at quarterback. You can't win a Super Bowl like that.

Solution: Maybe the Bears can twist the Eagles' arms -- or wings, if you prefer -- and bring home McNabb, an Illinois native, for instant respectability.

Kansas City Chiefs

Croyle

Quandary:
    Coach Herm Edwards makes it sound like Brodie Croyle is his guy. He also doesn't seem to be a big fan of Damon Huard. But what has Croyle done to earn anybody's confidence?

Solution: Maybe Croyle will work out. But in case he doesn't, the Chiefs need to take a shot on a quarterback sometime after the first round.

Miami Dolphins

Beck
    Quandary:
    Trent Green is gone. John Beck, who didn't show much in four starts as a rookie, still is around. After their 1-15 season, the Dolphins hold the No. 1 overall pick, giving themselves a choice of rookie quarterbacks.

Solution: Miami needs more than a quarterback. The Dolphins would be wise to deal the top choice and get more picks to help elsewhere. Beck has some potential, and a free-agent veteran could hold down the fort for the short term. Keep in mind, Bill Parcells is running the Dolphins, and Phil Simms used to play for him with the Giants. Parcells might be inclined to take a chance on Chris Simms.

Minnesota Vikings

Jackson
    Quandary:
    They have one of the game's most explosive players in running back Adrian Peterson but nothing else on offense. Tarvaris Jackson is not the answer.

Solution:
    McNabb's name also gets floated here because Minnesota coach Brad Childress used to work in Philadelphia. That could be a great solution. But the Vikings are a team that can afford to draft a rookie because Peterson will take away a lot of the pressure.
    New York Jets

Clemens

Quandary:
    Chad Pennington was in and out of the lineup last year, and Kellen Clemens received a lot of playing time. It might be too late for Pennington to revive his career with the Jets, and it's too early to say Clemens is the answer.

Solution: This will be a crucial season for coach Eric Mangini, but he could buy himself some time by adding a young quarterback to the competition.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
    my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
    But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

I really dont understand why teams draft qbs in rd 2 and 3, and dont want to give them a shot when they finally get a chance...Croyle and Tavaris Jackson are both young, but shouldnt be considered "not the answer" this soon.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

There are times when Croyle makes really bad decisions, BUT, there are also times when he makes some big time throws and looks solid.

Can't really gauge him based on our team last year. No offensive line, no LJ? With an improved line and healthy LJ, I think he can be good.

Originally posted by fenikz
      His soft D really turns me off
      ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

McNabb isn't going anywhere

Comment

Why does everybody think the bears are getting McNabb?

Comment

I dont see McNabb going anywhere. He is still the guy in Philly.

Sick sig by Jackalope

LIFE IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE A SAINTS FAN

Comment

I like Tarvaris Jackson, he showed a ton of growth this year. For a first year starter, he showed he has the arm and can make plays when he has to. Obviously he's still a project, but I think it could pay off big time. I love his attitude from listening to his interviews and such. He would probably be considered the future in Minny if he were white. I really believe there is a not very subtle racism in play when guys are judging black quarterbacks.

Comment

trading for mcnabb would be stupid...why not just keep troy smith and see what we have? we are not a competitor right now any way you slice it until we fix that secondary anyways. Butting mcnair and replacing him with virtually the same player in mcnabb (albeit younger and not washed up) makes no sense at all. Also, drafting matt ryan or brian brohm would be dumb as well, and drafting a project in later rounds would be stupid seeing as we already have one on our hands in smith.
                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                The APS is strong in this one.
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                  He would probably be considered the future in Minny if he were white. I really believe there is a not very subtle racism in play when guys are judging black quarterbacks.
                  Damn, yo. That's quite a bold statement to make... an even as a black male, one I don't know if I completely agree with. I do agree with you to a certain extent with your second sentence, but that could be a topic for another day.

Anyhow, I was just going to post that it's a good feeling to not have to worry about your QB situation. Whoo.
                  The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. Weve shown weve been able to do that. - Jabari Greer

Comment

These teams need to be talking to the browns.

Comment

Of all the teams up there, the one team I don't buy taking a QB relatively high are the Jets. I think there's

a) too many needs
                      b) need to see what Clemens can offer

Now, 4th/5th round, fine. But anything earlier, I just don't see it. I expect them to try and add a veteran QB to the mix.

Comment

ive said it before and ill repeat it again.

i will renounce my bears fandom if they bring in mcnabb.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                          ive said it before and ill repeat it again.

i will renounce my bears fandom if they bring in mcnabb.
                          as will i no longer be a ravens fan if they do likewise, because it would be a complete bonehead decision.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Croyle may or may not be the answer. I can see the CHiefs go OT then QB. With the abundance of draft picks I think other needs can be filled via draft and FA. Third round seems like an area to get good enough CB for the future. I wouldnt mind drafting Flacco or Henne if their. But let Croyle win the job himself. Or maybe someone will step up. Even 3rd round going with Booty or Johnson. But its too early to say that Croyle is or isint the man
                            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Croyle has never started one game with LJ in his back field or behind a real OL I'm glad we are going to give him atleast one full season to see what he can do. You have to put play makers around a young QB like Croyle we have not done that for him so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information