No announcement yet.

Indianapolis finishes 6-year deal with tight end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick sig Larry. Pretty awesome username too.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
      Why give him the franchise tag if you knew could re-sign him before FEB 29?
      Perhaps he would've been more expensive had he hit the open market.

Plus, who were they suppose to save the franchise tag for? Aaron Moorehead?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
        Perhaps he would've been more expensive had he hit the open market.

Plus, who were they suppose to save the franchise tag for? Aaron Moorehead?
        You could NOT use it at all and not force yourself to give a player Top 5 (?) money for a respective position. Clark is good, and great in that system, but not sure he's Top 5 in the league.

Comment

Speculation on my part, but maybe the use of the franchise tag helped push the deal forward.
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            Maybe you're right. We'll see, I suppose.

A little over 6 months ago, the Redskins signed Chris Cooley to a 6-year deal worth $30M, with $14M guaranteed.
            Personally, I think Harrison is going to be a June cap casualty unless he takes a pay cut. The Colts won't restructure his contract. That'd be stupid. They're not gonna convert all that base salary into guaranteed bonus money just to lessen the cap hit for this season. He's too old and his knee is too ****** up for that.

Comment

I would hope it would not come to that. However I personally feel about him, especially in regards to performance in the postseason, he's been one of the best receivers of his era and in the franchise's history, and is a Hall of Famer. He's done a lot for this franchise. You don't throw a guy like that out the door, I think the Pats handled it well with Troy Brown, who isn't a Hall of Famer but is one of the best receivers in Pats history. Then again, Brown isn't signed to the deal Harrison penned his name to a few years ago.

Now obviously, I'd like to see him sign a new deal, so that he could stay with the team and hopefully win a few more championships before eventually retiring. Before this past season, it seemed he could play for some time more, maybe even until 40. But he has the offseason to recover now, we'll see.

That said, alluding to your point stoney, the Colts have locked up Wayne-Gonzo-Clark for the next number of years. I really like that trio. They can line-up anywhere on the field and can get it done, including in the postseason.

Comment

I HIGHLY doubt the Colts would cut Harrison.

Comment

Contract makes Indy's Clark NFL's highest paid tight end

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                    The reason why the Colts are projected over the cap right now is that Manning and Harrison have reached the backloaded years of their current deals, as drafted by the Colts and the players/agents - who obviously have planned through this point.
                    ZOMG!! The Colts are releasing Peyton Manning!!

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Sexy Rexy can come home to Indy!

Oh wait ... duh, SORGI.

Comment

Highest paid QB/(player?). Highest paid defender. Highest paid Safety. Highest paid TE. Two of the top 3 paid WR's.

Yikes. And just like how the recent CBA extension was *perfectly* timed for Indy to avoid some tough decisions, I'm guessing the cap will just be abolished was the time the cap grim reaper comes knocking again.
                        Last edited by OzTitan; 02-20-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Polamalu is still the highest paid safety, if you really look at the numbers. Didn't Vick sign a 100M deal? Again, in the case of Manning and Harrison, they have backloaded contracts.

Regardless, the Colts have:

1. drafted well enough and develop well enough that they have some of the best players at some positions, but also not drafting high which means not having to spend a lot on a draft pick;

2. been more concerned with signing their own players than in free agency, i.e. they won't sign anyone this offseason who wasn't homegrown, and they've let players walk when they had to;

3. been giving up huge signing bonuses to players, thanks to owner Jim Irsay spending millions out of his pocket such that one of the smallest-market teams can be one of the league's best.

Thankfully, the Colts have a new stadium now that will generate more revenue, as opposed to the old RCA Dome that wasn't delivering close to what some other franchises are. Despite having success such that the Colts were drawing national interest behind only the Dallas Cowboys, I recall reading in some business article. If I can find the article, I'll bring it up. But now The Luke is opening starting this season.

Importantly, I don't think the front office will lead the team to disaster or anything of that sort.
                          Last edited by Geo; 02-20-2008, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                            I'm not trying to sound rude when I ask this, just an honest question, but what leads you to believe Marvin Harrison will restructure? As an outsider looking in, he strikes me as the exact type of guy who wouldn't be in much of a position to want to restructure due to age and declining play. I don't see him making up any of the money he'd be losing out on...
                            Because he'd rather restructure and stay than not restucture and be designated as one of the Colts' two June 1 exemption players? People seem to forget the new provision in the CBA that allows teams to release 2 players prior to June 1 and still be able to spread their cap hit over 2 years.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I really don't think it will come to that, from either party involved. Unless Harrison is somehow done, I suppose, but I don't think he is. Obviously he wasn't at full health in the playoff game against San Diego, but a full offseason to recuperate will get him back to form imo.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                                Highest paid QB/(player?).
                                Aren't there a few $100 million QBs in the NFL? Peyton Manning isn't one of them.

Highest paid defender.
                                Only until Suggs and/or Peppers signs a long term deal.

Highest paid Safety.
                                I'm 99% sure LaRon Landry's deal is worth more overall than Bob's.

Two of the top 3 paid WR's.
                                #2 is Marvin Harrison, who is paid less than Calvin Johnson, and who else? I know Terrell Owens makes more than Reggie Wayne, and Moss will be very soon. Plus, the franchise tag number this year is, what, $9 million? Reggie's contract maxes out at (rounding up) $6.67 million per year, so I doubt he's even in the top 5.

Yikes. And just like how the recent CBA extension was *perfectly* timed for Indy to avoid some tough decisions, I'm guessing the cap will just be abolished was the time the cap grim reaper comes knocking again.
                                What? The Colts had their contracts worked out to deal with the cap had the CBA not been worked out properly. They had bonuses for Manning and Harrison restructured (sound familiar?) until the restructuring was unnecessary. If you manage the cap right, the "cap grim reaper" doesn't "come knocking", even Dan Snyder has been able to do it using cash over cap and other tools of the sort.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                                <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information