Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
    [/B]

I dont believe anyone around the NFL thought that the 9ers would have performed as bad as they did and would be picking @ 7. The trade that enabled the Staley pick was sound if as expected we were picking in the 15 - 22 range.

That said Staley was far from a disapointment this year and apart from being schooled against the Giants he held up well. He's a great prospect that will likely move to LT next season.
    Honestly, I didn't expect them to do as well as people thought. I was not a fan of their offseason at all, although some of their moves i questioned actually weren't as bad as i thought they'd be.

Staley, I dunno. I always had Ugoh rated higher. Now I had no idea Ugoh would play as well as he did, but I did like him more than Staley. Im not sold yet on Staley making a successful transition yet. He might need another year before he's ready, and giving up that much for a player who needs time to develop is a questionable move.

I readily admit though, my knowledge of Staley comes mostly from college tape and the Giants/49ers game. Ive seen him other times too, but i haven't focused on him as much as I should have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
      Yes it would be unfortunate. Hopefully this is only idle speculation and nothing genuine. As for Brandon Moore, he showed us in preseason why he didn't deserve to start. He kept missing a ton of tackles and just wasn't being effective. Not to mention he tires out quite easily.

Lance Briggs on the other hand, is a great player I'm sure, but it's uncertain whether he would be effective in our scheme. I'd be more concerned about shoring up the defensive line by resigning Marques Douglas first.
      Yeah Brandon Moore's 2 missed tackles in the pre-season completely overshadowed his dominance in the second half of the season before... the only thing benching him showed was Nolans incompetence in dealing with players. He replaced him with Derek "more missed tackles in actual games than I could shake a stick at" Smith. Nolan is an idiot and will always be a failure.. I can't wait for next off-season when we fire that moron and hire Rob Chudzinski who made the Browns bottom 5 offense into a top 10 offense in one year flat.. unlike Garrett and McDaniels who were handed the keys to top 10 offenses and became candidates off of that. And I've been on the Chudzinski for head coach trip since mid season so anyone who wants to jump on can suck it theres only room for me on this bandwagon.

Comment

I think Staley is legit. I was another person that thought the Niners would flop (and was roundly criticized for saying so). That said, I'd take Staley a year ahead at a much cheaper price than Ryan Clady at #7 this year. I think it worked out pretty well for them all things considered.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Looks like a lot of teams are finding out that what flew with Tagliabue isn't going to fly with Goodell.

I think the important question to ask here is what does all of these types of things say about the legacy of Paul Tagliabue? No one seems to be asking that question. I think that we all agree that this type of behavior is fairly commonplace in the league regardless of whether or not the 49ers are the only team that has been caught in recent memory, but there have been questions/talk of this type of stuff for years, with no action.

Then there is the Patriots situation where they had been doing what they were doing for years and years and years and no one told them to stop. Then Goodell comes in and boom, they are in the principles office.

Then there is all the personal conduct stuff.

It's all starting to add up to lead to the differences between the two commissioners and how the "Good Ol Boy Network" just isn't going to fly anymore. It looks like a lot of teams are still feeling out the new boss to see what they can get away with.

It also seems like a lot of teams are crying foul much faster because of it. [/random observations]

Comment

Take away the pick they traded to NE and screw two teams!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

We'll see if anything really happens, if there is sufficient evidence at hand. The Patriots accused the Jets of tampering with Deion Branch before the 06 season, nothing really came of it.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                We'll see if anything really happens, if there is sufficient evidence at hand. The Patriots accused the Jets of tampering with Deion Branch before the 06 season, nothing really came of it.
                Was that BGE (Before Goodell Era) or AGE?
                What round pick would be taken away?

Originally posted by BeansDooma
                who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Comment

If we sign Briggs...move to the 4-3. Having a 3-4 with 1 high priced ILB in Briggs, and another soon-to-be high priced ILB in Willis, is not smart. Especially when the TED ILB role in our 3-4 can be filled by any average ILB. And especially when we need outside pass rushers badly.

Comment

Don't most rookies sign six year deals these days? Willis shouldn't be ridiculously costed for a long time...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                      Don't most rookies sign six year deals these days? Willis shouldn't be ridiculously costed for a long time...
                      I was thinking the same thing...

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        I just look ahead to the future a lot, lol.

When do most 1st round picks begin to renegotiate anyways? At least into 6 year deals. I assume 3 or 4 years in, correct?

Comment

Well theoretically after six years...

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                            I just look ahead to the future a lot, lol.

When do most 1st round picks begin to renegotiate anyways? At least into 6 year deals. I assume 3 or 4 years in, correct?
                            I'd like to say the off-season before the 4th season in.

Comment

Originally posted by papa burgundy View Post
                              Yeah Brandon Moore's 2 missed tackles in the pre-season completely overshadowed his dominance in the second half of the season before... the only thing benching him showed was Nolans incompetence in dealing with players. He replaced him with Derek "more missed tackles in actual games than I could shake a stick at" Smith. Nolan is an idiot and will always be a failure.. I can't wait for next off-season when we fire that moron and hire Rob Chudzinski who made the Browns bottom 5 offense into a top 10 offense in one year flat.. unlike Garrett and McDaniels who were handed the keys to top 10 offenses and became candidates off of that. And I've been on the Chudzinski for head coach trip since mid season so anyone who wants to jump on can suck it theres only room for me on this bandwagon.
                              He had more chances to prove his starting position in the preseason an he failed. He couldn't tackle in the 3-4. Last season during the second half, we played more of a 4-3, and he thrived because he didn't have to always tackle in open space. When in the 3-4, it was the opposite, and he couldn't tackle very well. Derek Smith was bad tackling this season, sure. But at least he didn't blow assignments. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for him, we may not won the game against the Arizona Cardinals when we visited them.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                              Originally posted by Borat
                              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

willis and briggs...damn that would be tough. idk about a good fit for their defense but that would be a fast, attacking combo

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information