Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

49ers being Investigated...Could Lose Draft Pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 49ers being Investigated...Could Lose Draft Pick

    INDIANAPOLIS Ė The NFL is investigating a charge by the Chicago Bears that the San Francisco 49ers tampered last year by making overtures to linebacker Lance Briggs, three league sources said.

    Chicago and San Francisco discussed a trade in October that would have sent Briggs, a Northern California native, to the 49ers. However, the Bearsí grievance claims that San Francisco held contract talks with agent Drew Rosenhaus during the season, thus interfering with a player under contract.

    The 49ersí counter is that they talked to the Bears first about a possible deal, then contacted Rosenhaus and the NFL Management Council about signing Briggs to a new contract. Because Briggs was designated a franchise player by Chicago last offseason and didnít reach a long-term deal before the prescribed deadline in July, he was not eligible to sign a new contract with the Bears or any other team, even if he was traded.

    San Francisco dropped the idea of trading for Briggs at that point. Briggs, who got the Bears to agree not to franchise him this offseason when he signed last yearís one-year tender, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this month.

    If the 49ers are found to have tampered, they could be fined or lose a draft pick.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

    Baltimore: 7-4

  • #2
    Naughty, naughty!

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't understand why they want him so bad. Is he even that great of a fit?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
        I don't understand why they want him so bad. Is he even that great of a fit?
        NFL Network said no, but their wallets say yes, and it would be a great compliment to Patrick Willis.

        Comment


        • #5
          He would be a nice interior fit for them ... which makes me shake my head literally (i am doing so right now) for their desire to get stacked at ILB, when there are so many other needs. Give Brandon Moore a shot. Go out and add someone on the cheap.

          Anyhow, maybe they wised up. Wouldn't it suck, though, to lose a pick, on top of what they want through this year?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
            He would be a nice interior fit for them ... which makes me shake my head literally (i am doing so right now) for their desire to get stacked at ILB, when there are so many other needs. Give Brandon Moore a shot. Go out and add someone on the cheap.

            Anyhow, maybe they wised up. Wouldn't it suck, though, to lose a pick, on top of what they want through this year?
            Yes it would be unfortunate. Hopefully this is only idle speculation and nothing genuine. As for Brandon Moore, he showed us in preseason why he didn't deserve to start. He kept missing a ton of tackles and just wasn't being effective. Not to mention he tires out quite easily.

            Lance Briggs on the other hand, is a great player I'm sure, but it's uncertain whether he would be effective in our scheme. I'd be more concerned about shoring up the defensive line by resigning Marques Douglas first.

            "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

            Comment


            • #7
              if they do its safe to say i will laugh

              Comment


              • #8
                Getting 2 pricey ILBs in the 3-4 is beyond moronic. Further proof that the 49ers don't know what theyre doing, and Nolan needs to be fired asap.

                Im a big supporter of a 4-3 defense being put in place in SF. If thats the case, then Briggs would be a nice compliment although still unnecessary.

                I like Nolan's attitude and approach, but this team is a mess right now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  so what is this? ContactGate? BriggsGate? RosenhuasGate?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tampering is rampant in the league, how stupid do you have to be if you really get caught.

                    Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Getting 2 pricey ILBs in the 3-4 is beyond moronic. Further proof that the 49ers don't know what theyre doing, and Nolan needs to be fired asap.

                    Im a big supporter of a 4-3 defense being put in place in SF. If thats the case, then Briggs would be a nice compliment although still unnecessary.

                    I like Nolan's attitude and approach, but this team is a mess right now.
                    Nolan doesn't have final say on personnel anymore, McCloughan does.

                    But yeah, it's stupid. Unless they run a base 4-2-5 defense with Willis and Briggs manning the defense, lol. Or go 4-3 and have Manny Lawson rush 90% of the time from every which way.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Geo View Post
                      Tampering is rampant in the league, how stupid do you have to be if you really get caught.


                      Nolan doesn't have final say on personnel anymore, McCloughan does.

                      But yeah, it's stupid. Unless they run a base 4-2-5 defense with Willis and Briggs manning the defense, lol. Or go 4-3 and have Manny Lawson rush 90% of the time from every which way.
                      Manny can be used in a Julian Peterson type of role. Or possibly gain weight, get up to 265 and play fulltime RE in a base 4-3.

                      I would suggest a switch to Tampa 2, but they just forked over a ton of money to Clements, and that would be wasted unless they use more of a man Cover 2 hybrid scheme. Either way, it just makes more sense going to a 4-3 alignment in my eyes.

                      I think theyre a long way from being legit again. Unless theres a dramatic turn around in the trenches. I can't believe they gave up a 1st for Joe Staley.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Talk about kicking a team while they're down. At least when the Pats lost a draft pick they could win.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by defensiveback23 View Post
                          Talk about kicking a team while they're down. At least when the Pats lost a draft pick they could win.
                          not to mention had SF 1st. question, can goodell strip SF of it's 1st, thus taking it away from the Pats? true justice hehehe

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            I think theyre a long way from being legit again. Unless theres a dramatic turn around in the trenches. I can't believe they gave up a 1st for Joe Staley.


                            I dont believe anyone around the NFL thought that the 9ers would have performed as bad as they did and would be picking @ 7. The trade that enabled the Staley pick was sound if as expected we were picking in the 15 - 22 range.

                            That said Staley was far from a disapointment this year and apart from being schooled against the Giants he held up well. He's a great prospect that will likely move to LT next season.


                            me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Assuming Staley looks good at left tackle as I think he will, I don't think it was a really bad deal for the 49ers. They get a talented left tackle for the price of the 29th (I think) overall pick, as opposed to the 7th overall pick the next year with no experience.

                              Granted, this year they might not have taken Clady. Maybe Sed Ellis?
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information