Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Czarnecki Says Pats and Moss arent close to a Deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I swear nobody here understands the salary cap. The Cowboys are going to be paying Owens $8 million+ this season. There's no way they could afford to sign Moss too.

    Comment


    • #17
      T.O. is due a $4 million base salary plus $3 million roster bonus in June. So he's taking up $7 million in cap space, not $8+ million, unless I'm mistaken and prorated bonus money is also counting against the cap, which is possible, I'm not really familiar with his deal. The article said the "Cowboys can pay up", so the writer thinks they can fit Moss in. There's also been rumors that Dallas will restructure Romo's deal to convert more of it into guaranteed money that is prorated through the length of it to free up more cap space in 2008.

      I don't think New England really has any choice about what Randy Moss does since they didn't apply the franchise tag; it's up to Randy Moss now. I suspected he may test free agency if he wasn't tagged when he opted out of the Pro Bowl like Lance Briggs did, I didn't notice if he was injured and nothing more was ever said about it that I was aware of, correct me if I'm wrong. Conventional wisdom would suggest he stay with a team that is a contender, or go to another team that is a contender, but perhaps he thinks he's about to sign the last contract of his career, and wants to make it a big one. Maybe he thinks he can do both, or will field an offer from a team that's not necessarily a contender, and take it back to New England to force their hand if they want to keep him.

      Comment


      • #18
        Dallas has the cash to make the deal, but I have to imagine that with the new Patrick Crayton contract and two first round picks, they'd rather invest the money in a youngster they like rather than another super talented but fragile (both mentally and physically) wide receiver.

        Likewise, I can't see why Moss would want to leave that New England offense or why the Pats would want to let him go. No team really ever loses a player that they want to keep, and I'd be very surprised if Moss doesn't wind up at Patriot for 2008.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
          Dallas has the cash to make the deal, but I have to imagine that with the new Patrick Crayton contract and two first round picks, they'd rather invest the money in a youngster they like rather than another super talented but fragile (both mentally and physically) wide receiver.

          Likewise, I can't see why Moss would want to leave that New England offense or why the Pats would want to let him go. No team really ever loses a player that they want to keep, and I'd be very surprised if Moss doesn't wind up at Patriot for 2008.
          Well, Jerry Jones recently said "....I think we have a chance to put some more "wow" in this offense. That's my No. 1 goal in this off-season." I doubt he'll pass on the opportunity to sign Randy Moss. If it comes to New England and Dallas entering a bidding war, I think Dallas is a lot more loose with its money than New England, which has traditionally been stingy. But that's assuming Randy Moss would be satisfied playing for either team, and is selecting based upon money. I'd personally like to see Randy Moss and Terrell Owens playing opposite each other at wideout, it would certainly be interesting to see what happens both on and off the field.

          I'm inclined to believe it's a possibility because it was my understanding that New England operates with the philosophy that every player on the team is expendable. That's why I'm surprised people won't entertain the possibility of Randy Moss being on another team in 2008. The money New England would use to sign Randy Moss may be put to better use signing or re-signing linebackers or defensive backs considering that they're losing two of each to free agency. I'm not an expert on their team, but the results of the Super Bowl would suggest to me that they would revert to more of a ball control offense next year with more emphasis on their defense. I don't think they can maintain the depth at receiver to run the spread offense anyway.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Starkar Mace View Post
            T.O. is due a $4 million base salary plus $3 million roster bonus in June. So he's taking up $7 million in cap space, not $8+ million, unless I'm mistaken and prorated bonus money is also counting against the cap, which is possible, I'm not really familiar with his deal.
            It almost certainly would be. Any signing bonus given at the start of the deal will be prorated. He was the highest cap hit WR in 2007 with slightly over $8M, I don't think that would change for 08, as contracts like his usually escalate in time.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Starkar Mace View Post
              Well, Jerry Jones recently said "....I think we have a chance to put some more "wow" in this offense. That's my No. 1 goal in this off-season." I doubt he'll pass on the opportunity to sign Randy Moss. If it comes to New England and Dallas entering a bidding war, I think Dallas is a lot more loose with its money than New England, which has traditionally been stingy. But that's assuming Randy Moss would be satisfied playing for either team, and is selecting based upon money. I'd personally like to see Randy Moss and Terrell Owens playing opposite each other at wideout, it would certainly be interesting to see what happens both on and off the field.

              I'm inclined to believe it's a possibility because it was my understanding that New England operates with the philosophy that every player on the team is expendable. That's why I'm surprised people won't entertain the possibility of Randy Moss being on another team in 2008. The money New England would use to sign Randy Moss may be put to better use signing or re-signing linebackers or defensive backs considering that they're losing two of each to free agency. I'm not an expert on their team, but the results of the Super Bowl would suggest to me that they would revert to more of a ball control offense next year with more emphasis on their defense. I don't think they can maintain the depth at receiver to run the spread offense anyway.

              Jerry feels strongly about bringing in playmakers, he's said it everytime he is asked about this off season, but even this move is too much for Jerry...There would be absolutely no chemistry on offense what so ever, as soon as Moss gets all the looks in the first half and were losing TO pouts, then Romo forces ball to TO in the 2nd half for multiple picks, I can already see it now...

              Personally Id say its a better chance Marion Barber gets traded then of him signing Randy Moss, and I dont even think he would want to come here to be honest...I could actually picture him and TO getting into serious physical altercations, maybe thats just me but I feel like thats too much ego and brash for one offense, recipe for a disaster.





              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
                If the Pats did not think they had a deal in had that was close to done if not done they would have tagged him IMO.
                Seriously, IBTN.

                Also, this Czar guy from Fox sports comes off as a dumbass to me. Literally throughout this last season, he'd make **** up on his own. It's almost funny really, especially when rotoworld would report his stuff and you knew fantasy owners everywhere were having aneurisms. I'm not a fan of him, to say the least.
                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Moss to the cowboys has been around since 1998 when the cowboys were going to draft him.

                  Jerry said his #1 priority this offseason was to bring in offensive playmakers....Moss fits this whole.

                  As far as cap space....we are somwhere between 10-14Million so added Moss isn't a dollars problem....JJ said just today that the cap can be manipulated...
                  "You can get a creative scenario, where there's not enough room. Within a rational parameter of what you might get a chance, or what you might want to do or who you might want to extend, while it's going to take some sharp managing, that's not a huge obstacle to us getting some things that will help our team. It's a real challenge. But it's not a barrier as I see it. It's a challenge, but not a barrier. It will cause us to make some really hard decisions. It will challenge us on Flo (Adams). Those are the kinds of things that happen."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Also, re: stoney's earlier post, TO only has one year left on his current 3 yrs/$25M deal. It could happen.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Lets face it Dallas would buy moss for no other reason then they wouldnt ave to play against him when the pats go back to the super bowl.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Starkar Mace View Post
                        I don't understand why New England did not apply the franchise tag to Randy Moss, regardless of whether or not they were close to a deal. Even if they were, why not do the same thing Indianapolis did with Dallas Clark? He was signed two days after being tagged to a long term deal.

                        It seems to me that New England is not committed to Randy Moss, as that has always been their modus operandi when dealing with players asking for a big payday. Given that four of the seven receivers on their 2007 roster are free agents (five if they've opted not to pick up Kelley Washington's roster bonus, I'm not sure), I don't believe they have the depth to run the same spread-type offense in 2008. Perhaps they feel Moss is replaceable at a lower price. His primary value, particularly in the playoffs, seemed to be to draw coverage to his side of the field to open up other receivers, and without the depth at receiver they had 2007, they may not feel he is worth what he is asking for.

                        As for Dallas, I'm sure Jerry Jones would like to sign Moss and will send an offer his way, but who knows if Moss would accept it? Moss and T.O. would be interesting to watch, and if both have matured a bit having realized they don't have much time left to win the SB, perhaps they can co-exist. But back when T.O. was a free agent after his incident on the Eagles, Moss wasn't particularly excited about the prospect of T.O. going to Oakland. But perhaps he's changed his mind since then.
                        Stallworth and Moss IMO will both end up walking and we'll see Welker, Chad Jackson and either a vet or draft pick taking the third/second spot.

                        I don't know why Tampa hasn't been in the mix though.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I smell Danial Snyder

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The Bears should sign Randy Moss.

                            He can't run-block for **** and only runs the 9 route, but oh dear heavens, imagine that 9 route with Sexy to the Rexy slinging that ball deep. It will be wonderful splendor.
                            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Doesnt Rex have enough people yelling at him now? you thought him and pepper didnt get along wait till you see Moss Grossman lol

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Philly isnt a bad fit for him honestly, they may not have the best chance to win but who knows if thats what he even wants...If you cant win a ring with the Pats, obviously you know you cant just pick a team and assume they will win anything this early...

                                New England must really have a horrible offer on the table if he doesnt stay, because he is on the team with the best chance to win, and best case scenario for huge stats.





                                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information