Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
    well that sets that... that alot of money
    Even that is not done. I'd love to believe it is, but honestly, we won't know for another 48 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
      An awful lot of people seem to be throwing **** against the wall hoping it sticks...
      I think it's more this Czar idiot saying more wrong ****, as usual.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

John Czarnecki is wroooonnnnng!
        "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
        4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Comment

Originally posted by RollingMoss View Post
          Open Letter to Zygi Wilf: Randy Would come back; he knows Red McCombs is a fat Texan piece of dirt and he knows the Fans here never wanted him to leave. We have the cap space, we have the need, we have attractive pieces to put around him. Open the Bank. Bring Back Moss. Oh Sweet McGillicutty, Bring Back Moss.
          Interesting idea, but Childress-Moss would never work out. And that's probably more of an indictment on Childress than it is Moss.
          "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
          4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
            An awful lot of people seem to be throwing **** against the wall hoping it sticks...
            I believe this is the article the quote you had was referring to:
            http://sports.aol.com/voices/jensen/...26105209990001

What it says:
            Receiver Randy Moss is expected to sign a multi-year deal to remain with the New England Patriots, according to two league sources, and linebacker Lance Briggs has been pegged to land in San Francisco.

2) WR Randy Moss. Last week, there was the “Will they, won’t they…” on whether the Patriots would franchise tag Moss. But Moss is expected to re-sign with the Patriots later this week, and his contract is projected to be for three years, at an average of $10 million per season, including $12 million to $15 million guaranteed.

Could he get more elsewhere?

Of course. But he truly does want to win, and although he did not achieve his ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl last season, Moss still recognizes the value in remaining with the Patriots.

After lamenting his quarterbacks the past few seasons, Moss clicked for record numbers with Tom Brady. In addition, with talented players like Laurence Maroney, Wes Welker and Ben Watson around him, Moss wouldn’t face as many double teams as he would elsewhere.

But his 2008 team shouldn’t expect 2007 Randy Moss; that was a season in which all the stars aligned perfectly.

One concern: Moss turned 31 this month, and he has dealt with recurring injuries.
            It sounds like this is also a rumor this writer picked up at the Combine when you read the article in its entirety. Obviously, Moss re-signing with the Patriots sounds more credible as a rumor than Moss and the Patriots not being close on a deal, but I think that's only because people can't comprehend the Patriots not willing to bend over backward for him.

Slightly unrelated, but also of note: the article mentions that linebacker Lance Briggs is pegged to land in San Francisco, but obviously any such verbal deal would be tampering. Admittedly, the 49ers are being investigated for that. But that was last year, so you would think they wouldn't tamper this year with the same player again, and PFT reports that the 49ers have not expressed interest in Briggs yet.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008...-san-fran-yet/

Ultimately, it seems that two writers go to the combine, and each comes away with a contradictory rumor (at least as far as the Moss stories go, PFT's story seems to be separate from Combine rumors whereas I don't think Jensen's is). I think at this juncture it's equally likely that Moss re-signs as it is that they aren't close to a deal. They aren't even necessarily mutually exclusive... Mos could be nowhere near signing a deal, but at the same time, the two sources at the Combine Jensen spoke to believe that he ultimately will.

I personally don't believe Moss will re-sign, because there have been several things that indicate to me that he's not necessarily committed to the Patriots, and they aren't committed to him. First, he backed out of the Pro Bowl, which seemed to me as an action intended to prevent injury due to the upcoming free agency. Whether that's just to ensure he isn't lowballed by the Patriots, or if he intendeds to shop himself and go back to the Patriots with his best offer, or even take that offer if the Patriots don't match it, it could be any of those things or none of them. He could have been injured in the Super Bowl, I don't know personally, perhaps someone more familiar with the situation can shed some light on it.

Likewise, when New England didn't franchise tag Moss, I thought it was also suspicious. If they were close to a deal, why not tag him anyway just to lock him up to prevent tampering, as most sports writers projected them to do? Since he can't re-sign prior to free agency due to a provision in the CBA, regardless of a verbal agreement, he can always jump ship if he gets a new offer. If the Patriots and Randy Moss have already agreed to a deal verbally, why would he get upset if they tagged him?

And then, like I mentioned before, after taking a pay cut, setting a new receiving touchdown record, but not winning the Super Bowl, it seems logical that Moss will want to be paid a little closer to his value now that he's revived his career. Add to that his age, and this is the last chance for him to get a long term, lucrative deal done. New England tends to let players looking for these sorts of deals walk/get traded (see: Deion Branch, Asante Samuel).

But like Jay said, at this juncture, who knows who is writing about false rumors and who is writing about true ones? We'll find out on Friday. And if I misinterpreted the stuff I said above, and Moss is signed by New England at 12:01am EST Friday, I'll admit I was wrong.

Comment

That's exactly what I am saying. Everyone is just throwing things out there hoping to be right so they can pat themselves on the back. Lots of nice, eduacated guesses.

If the Patriots and Randy Moss have already agreed to a deal verbally, why would he get upset if they tagged him?
              I don't think it was that at all. I just don't think they thought it would be necessary.

And then, like I mentioned before, after taking a pay cut, setting a new receiving touchdown record, but not winning the Super Bowl, it seems logical that Moss will want to be paid a little closer to his value now that he's revived his career. Add to that his age, and this is the last chance for him to get a long term, lucrative deal done. New England tends to let players looking for these sorts of deals walk/get traded (see: Deion Branch, Asante Samuel).
              Those guys have rings. Randy doesn't. With his age and his comfort level both in this offense and in this area, and with just how much he is beloved by Patriots fans and how much money he's already made, I would think he'd want to come back here as long as the Pats made him a fair offer.

But it's also very easy for me to feel that way without knowing what he really things...

Comment

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...3dstateChanged

More speculation!

I don't think the situation looks very good for New England because they can't re-sign Moss until free agency starts, so even if they do get a verbal deal done, he may want to see what offers he gets. I think it all depends on how much Moss wants to remain with the franchise. You think he does, I'm not so sure that another team's offer and situation may be more attractive than what New England offers and what their situation is.

To be honest, I find it somewhat cavalier whenever people suggest Randy Moss should stay with the Patriots "to win", with the obvious implication being that if he remains with the team, he's going to win a championship. As we learned in the 2007 season, nothing is a 100%, sure thing. And if the person saying he should stay "to win" accepts that a SB victory isn't guaranteed, it seems even more haughty and arrogant because it seems to suggest that of the thirty-two teams in the league, only the New England Patriots are guaranteed to win their division and experience some degree of success.

I'm not accusing you of having this attitude, but when you mention that Samuel and Branch have rings, it seems to suggest that the past success of the franchise seems to guarantee its future success, and that no other organization can offer Moss success. I think if Moss went to Green Bay or Dallas, assuming either of those organizations want him, he could find just as much success as he will with New England in 2008. He's not going to break the touchdown record again with either team, but he's not going to break it with New England next year either.

Personally, I think he's more likely to put up better stats in either Green Bay or Dallas (compared to what he will hypothetically put up in New England in 2008, not what he put up in 2007), because Green Bay will probably run their spread offense again next year, which I don't think New England will be able to continue to do, and Dallas will have Terrell Owens, and having Moss and T.O. would seem to be somewhat indefensible. I also think that Green Bay or Dallas or both will potentially have better seasons than New England next year. Once you go 18-1 you really have nowhere to go but down, because the odds of going 19-0 after going 18-1 are pretty slim. Of course, they could win the Super Bowl, but I think it's less likely than it was in 2007, because they really stacked the team in a way that was really a one time shot at it. That was really contrary to their past philosophy of not spending big bucks on free agents and getting cheaper players who none the less filled the need.

I hope I don't come off as a Patriots hater or anything like that, I'm just trying to examine the situation as an impartial observer. I'm not a Patriots fan, but I do admire certain aspects of their organization, and it is one of the few I follow. We'll find out the truth tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                  How insane would Moss Edwards and Winslow be with our offensive line and Jamal Lewis.............. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                  the browns are one of the teams he definetely makes sense to go to. you have braylon edwards who is inconsistent and drops passes, and kellen winslow who has a bad attitude... jurevicius isn't getting any younger, but i really like tim carter i was disappointed when we traded him to you guys... there are a couple other guys who i like as well (namely steve heiden who has really good hands, underrated), but i just feel like they need another good receiver :)

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information