Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals, Fitzgerald struggling to reach contract extension

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10669535/1

The Cardinals have put themselves into a tough situation with Fitzgerald, their star player, because he has hit accelerators in his contract that raise his salary to $14.6 million in 2008 and $17.4 million in 2009. Even with the cap at $116 million, that's way too much money for one player.
    So far, Fitzgerald and agent Eugene Parker have balked at the deal, which is leading to the showdown Friday. The Cardinals have offered Fitzgerald $25 million in guaranteed money, but he wants more than the $32.5 million in guarantees that Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson got last year. But that guaranteed money was paid on a six-year deal. Parker wants more on a four-year deal.
    Fitzgerald is making the right choice. He can get 32 million, and then get a big contract after his current one runs out.

This contract has really turned out in the worst possible scenario for the Cardinals.
    Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 02-27-2008, 08:03 PM.

Well looking at the incentives he hit, from the beginning you wouldnt think his chances of hitting all of them would be that high, but he did and so the contract ended up being huge after the fact...

I hear they were considering offers at the combine to see what they could possibly land for him, doubt he leaves, but they were supposedly exercising options, just in case he is to leave, might as well see what you can bring in for him.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

The problem is the rookies getting so much damn money. Their getting paid more then proven veterans. No way at this point in time should Calvin be getting paid more then Fitz and alot of other WR's

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

I hope it gets worked. Larry-Fit's my favorite player and should stay or go to the Packers. But the Csrdinals have no one to blame but themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
          I hope it gets worked. Larry-Fit's my favorite player and should stay or go to the Packers. But the Csrdinals have no one to blame but themselves.
          Blame is definitely the wrong word, if anything the Cardinals should be patting themselves on the back for making a good pick, Fitz just happened to reach every incentive on his rookie contract, if you want to blame someone blame the NFL, causing losing teams to pay unproven rookies a ton of money doesn't help a team stop losing, The Lions are a great example of this with all there early 1st round busts

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
            Blame is definitely the wrong word, if anything the Cardinals should be patting themselves on the back for making a good pick, Fitz just happened to reach every incentive on his rookie contract, if you want to blame someone blame the NFL, causing losing teams to pay unproven rookies a ton of money doesn't help a team stop losing, The Lions are a great example of this with all there early 1st round busts
            You can't blame the NFL. I dont' think that the NFL WANTS to give a ton of money to a rookie, but if they don't, their star players holdout and the organization looks bad and the rookie loses out on valuable experience.

If you are going to blame someone, blame the NFLPA who won't agree to slotted rookie pay scales.

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post
              You can't blame the NFL. I dont' think that the NFL WANTS to give a ton of money to a rookie, but if they don't, their star players holdout and the organization looks bad and the rookie loses out on valuable experience.

If you are going to blame someone, blame the NFLPA who won't agree to slotted rookie pay scales.
              That's actually want I meant, thanks for correcting me

Comment

Trade Fitzgerald for Roy Williams.

Do it.
                R.I.P. L.E.F.
                "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                  Trade Fitzgerald for Roy Williams.

Do it.
                  I approve.

Comment

I wouldn't. No need to disrupt team chemistry for both teams.

Comment

I would be over joyed if Dallas could get him, and this makes it look like there is at least a prayer of it happening.

But yes, there are a ton of problems with the way these rookie contracts end up. Its getting to the point where you almost don't even want a top 5 pick. I mean, you aren't going to see much better numbers from any WR in their first 4 years, but even with all that, he isn't worth what he has "earned" based upon his initial contract. Now he is going back and saying "hey, look what this unproven rook just got, I'm better than him, so I should get paid more than him, right?"

Its a wicked cycle that has seemingly no end in sight. To me, this is probably the single biggest problem with the NFL today, and one of the very few areas in which the NBA has handled its business better. Basically, unless its a QB we're talking about (or maybe a OT), then any player taken in the top 5 of the draft immediately becomes the highest paid player in the league at his position....huh?
                      Originally posted by 21ST
                      He was protecting his self
                      Originally posted by tjsunstein
                      From what? His leg?
                      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post

I have to agree.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
                          I have to agree.

why?

It's getting to the point where your unproven rookies are the highest paid players on your team...meanwhile, your probowl running back or wide receiver are making 15-17 million in guaranteed money and your rookie is making 32 million...

if the NFL had a pay scale for rookies there wouldn't be this problem...

Comment

Come on Fitz,come to Philly ^_^ You said you would want to play here,we definetly NEED you here.
                            ~Its only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything~

Comment

An interesting note from Rotoworld:

The team will be seriously handicapped and out of the mix for any big free agent names (i.e. Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace) with no restructuring in place.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information