• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Numbers coming in....

5 years --- 47.2 Million

9.5 Million/year

Comment

Yes. See my post above.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
        Jay, why does tampering matter when you know as well as all of us do that the Pats were not going to match the Eagles offer?
        Why wouldn't I care? One of the most important parts of our defense is GONE. The whole purpose of having exclusive negotiating rights is to have the ability to work a deal out without having to compete. If the Patriots came to Asante and said "you know what, here's 7 years and 80 million with 23 guaranteed," he might have done it. But with little birdies whispering in his ear what he would get on the open market, there was no shot.

I think the Patriots wanted to keep him at a reasonable price, but with all these other teams getting involved when they had absolutely no right to be doing so, that went right out the window. And they had the money to do it. That is not even the issue.

Theo Epstein can't even say the name of another teams player in context of his team acquiring them without fear of a fine or other penalty. I just don't understand how we can pick and choose the rules that are OK to break. Especially considering the moral high ground people try to stand on when it involves other rules...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          I just don't understand how we can pick and choose the rules that are OK to break. Especially considering the moral high ground people try to stand on when it involves other rules...
          You make a great point right there. Everyone has to follow all the rules (or get punished), or else the credibility of the NFL just goes down the drain.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Jay, I think a lot of what happened was that his agent went to teams and explained what it would take to get Asante. Then he talked to Asante and had him list the teams he wanted to go to. Based on how the teams reacted to the contract demand and what the client wanted, the agent scheduled the visit. The Pats knew what it would take to sign Samuel long term, and they chose not to do it.

This kind of stuff is part of life. Even if there were no overt moves, there are always back channel things going on. It is part of life. The Pats have done things like that, and so have every other team.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Yes, it happens. Probably every team does it, but I think it will be wrong to say it's OK. Even though it can't be stopped, saying a rule isn't that important is basically the same as removing the whole thing from the rulebooks.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Many teams broke that rule in the past few days. To single the Eagles out for it would be very unfair.

Comment

I think this helps catapult the Eagles back in the thick of the competing for the division crown. The big question is if the offense under McNabb can deliver, because Johnson's defense will.

To be honest, I still have a suspicion that the Eagles will trade for Roy Williams. If not, maybe they bolster their receiving core another way, athough I don't think the receivers are the problem. McNabb is imo, he needs to play better and be more consistent.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

POSTED 1:53 p.m. EST, February 29, 2008

SAMUEL SET TO JOIN THE FLOCK

Various media reports, collected and referenced by our good friends at SportingNews.com, indicate that cornerback Asante Samuel will indeed sign a contract with the Eagles on Friday.

It's reportedly a five-year, $47.2 million deal. To the casual fan, that's short of the $10 million per year average from the eight-year, $80 million deal signed last year by Nate Clements of the 49ers. As everyone in PFT Planet knows, the Clements deal is actually seven years and $64 million, making it worth a hair over $9 million per year.

Samuel's deal carries an average of nearly $9.5 million. They could have added a phony final year that would have pushed the average to $10 million per year or more, and we respect both sides for doing what looks to be a "real" deal.

Also, there's a certain irony regarding the five-year duration of the contract. Typically, the Eagles like to lock players up for looooong periods of time. As it now stands, Samuel's deal will expire before the contracts signed by some of the young players who cashed in early.

Comment

I would love Fitz, but I really like Roy Williams (WR) as an option. I think his attitude could be an issue, but he is an impact player.

Comment

I don't have a problem with Williams attitude (although I find celebrating touchdowns and first downs when you're down by 20-plus freaking stupid as hell) and I don't think the Eagles do either. The big issue for the Eagles is the long-term extension for Williams.

Comment

Williams will be cheaper than his ability and potential, which is nice. I think Detroit wants him out, and I think he wants out of Motown. Not sure if he'll get his way or what he will cost. I think he would be a nice weapon for Donovan McNabb for sure.

Comment

A lot of things can happen here. If we feel we have too much money tied into the CB position (which we don't as of today, but Lito is expected to demand a new contract soon) then Sheppard should be dealt. If we think everything is ok, all three will be kept; Samuel and Sheppard starting, with Brown in the slot and getting occational reps at SS next to Dawkins. It's not a matter of "moving him to safety" like you guys are saying, he'd play both positions on different downs.
                            Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

I'd be surprised if the Redskins didn't inquire about Lito, although maybe the Eagles wouldn't want to trade him to a rival. But if you can get Washington to give up a good return ...

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                                I'd be surprised if the Redskins didn't inquire about Lito, although maybe the Eagles wouldn't want to trade him to a rival. But if you can get Washington to give up a good return ...
                                If the Eagles traded Lito in the division, they would be asking for a heck of a lot. I expect a 1st, 2nd, and possibly something in 2009.

Originally posted by Halsey
                                I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information