No announcement yet.

Samuel signs monster-deal with Philly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this deal has good stuff to it, as well as some bad stuff.

First and foremost, anytime you add a good player to your team, its a good thing. The Eagles are a better team today than they were yesterday, make no mistake about it.

I question the fit. When i break down Asante Samuel, I see a guy who's primarily a zone defender, who gets a lot of help up top against dominant WRs in NE's scheme. He can run decent man, but he's never been asked to run alot of man coverage, and hes never been asked to be man up for a whole game against a dominant #1 WR.

So considering the scheme he's going into, where he'll run a ton of man and Cover 0, i question whether he'll translate as well into the scheme as Eagles fans hope he will. He loves to gamble and jump routes. He won't be able to do that nearly as much anymore because he's going to be in man, and also won't have that safety watching his back like he did in NE.

The money, I don't think its really that bad. Maybe Im wrong, but i have no issue with the money. Every FA gets paid a lot. Thats just how it is nowadays. My question is does the fit make sense?

We won't know the answer to that until we see him on the field. But make no mistake, the Eagles are a better team today, then they were yesterday.

If this is any indication, the Giants who run a very similar scheme, had no interest in Samuel. Our staff felt he was the product of the NE defense and didn't fit what we're trying to do, which is essentially the same thing that Philly does. So take that for what its worth.
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 03-01-2008, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Skins could be looking at Lito.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redsk....html#comments

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
        i doubt the eagles trade him inside the division. unless synder is a total moron and gives up way too much for him, which is always a possibility.

Comment

honestly, unless they get a deal they can't refuse, i think it would be dumb of Philly to trade Lito. In today's league, you need 3 solid CBs, especially in a scheme thats so dependent on CBs like the Eagles run. Your nickel defense is on the field almost as much as your base these days, having 3 CBs is a very good luxury to have. Especially in the NFC East where all the teams favor a spread 3 WR offense.

Im telling you guys, the Eagles are going to be good next year. If those DTs live up to expectations, and Abriamiri steps it up, theyre going to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            honestly, unless they get a deal they can't refuse, i think it would be dumb of Philly to trade Lito. In today's league, you need 3 solid CBs, especially in a scheme thats so dependent on CBs like the Eagles run. Your nickel defense is on the field almost as much as your base these days, having 3 CBs is a very good luxury to have. Especially in the NFC East where all the teams favor a spread 3 WR offense.

Im telling you guys, the Eagles are going to be good next year. If those DTs live up to expectations, and Abriamiri steps it up, theyre going to be good.

the question i think is will Lito be ok with being #3, becuase i think he hes gonna want out

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
              the question i think is will Lito be ok with being #3, becuase i think he hes gonna want out
              thats true as well. winning tends to cure player issues though. he'll throw a hissy fit, but once they start winning, he'll be quiet.

Comment

I want a #1 receiver in return if we trade Lito (we might have to add a pick or 2), I don't think Fitz is very likely so the guy I was hoping to get was Roy Williams, does them getting Leigh Bodden make them out of the hunt for Lito?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  thats true as well. winning tends to cure player issues though. he'll throw a hissy fit, but once they start winning, he'll be quiet.
                  yeah untill he wants to get paid lol should last a yr

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                  I want a #1 receiver in return if we trade Lito (we might have to add a pick or 2), I don't think Fitz is very likely so the guy I was hoping to get was Roy Williams, does them getting Leigh Bodden make them out of the hunt for Lito?
                  i dont think you can get a number 1 for him in 6yrs hes miss 20 games thats alot
                  Last edited by The Legend; 03-01-2008, 09:43 AM.

Comment

this the artist fomrally known as Will Peterson won't be resigned. COME BACK TO BIG BLUE WILL!!!!!!!! he was one of my favorites. hopefully he gets a job somewhere, he's one of my aunts biggest clients
                    We ALL bleed scarlet
                    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Also I don't think Lito's really the #3, that was the website who put that there not the team. Reid said Asante was the LCB but didn't say anything else so I'm assuming Lito could still win it over Sheldon.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Legend View Post
                        yeah untill he wants to get paid lol should last a yr

i dont think you can get a number 1 for him in 5yrs hes miss 20 games thats alot
                        yeah thats true haha. yeah, his value on the market is not as strong because of his injuries. if they can get a good deal out of him, then trading him makes sense, but if not, they might as well keep him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                          Also I don't think Lito's really the #3, that was the website who put that there not the team. Reid said Asante was the LCB but didn't say anything else so I'm assuming Lito could still win it over Sheldon.
                          Exactly. They just put him #3 because they are looking for a trade. If he goes into camp as the #3 and Brown the #2, Lito will win the battle and move Sheldon either to the nickel or to safety.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                            this the artist fomrally known as Will Peterson won't be resigned. COME BACK TO BIG BLUE WILL!!!!!!!! he was one of my favorites. hopefully he gets a job somewhere, he's one of my aunts biggest clients
                            Will James/Peterson is ******* terrible. I hope he never plays another down for the Eagles

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information