X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faneca NOT to Jets... yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271283

4 YRS, $32 million with $23 million in guarantee's

It was mentioned on ESPNews Friday that Alan Faneca has agreed to a four-year contract with the Jets.

ESPN's John Clayton said no deal is official yet, and we're not hearing that one is. Faneca's deal is expected to average $8 million annually. It's believed he'll take the weekend to decide between the Jets and Rams' offers.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
    my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
    But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

holy crap that's a lot of money for a guard....

Comment

Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
        holy crap that's a lot of money for a guard....
        Keeping Jahri Evans is going to cost us a ********.
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Wow this is huge news...I'm honestly so happy right now.

As for the money, we're in such good financial position right now, it's honestly not a big deal. I think even more so however, this means Dewayne will be dealt for a pick...to ease the cap.

It's funny though, two years ago the Jets were in cap hell with the worst situation in all of football, Tannembaum turned things around so well...
          Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

Wow. It's really done. I though he would wait until tomorrow to decide between the Jets, 49ers and Rams.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Like I said before in the FA thread, the money actually isn't bad at all, I just question signing someone as old as Faneca on a team that I personally don't think is a playoff team next year.

We'll see though, certainly improves their offensive line.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

At worst he'll give them three solid years, and if someone like Smiley is getting 5 a year, yeah, that really isn't bad at all. Very solid signing IMO.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                  At worst he'll give them three solid years, and if someone like Smiley is getting 5 a year, yeah, that really isn't bad at all. Very solid signing IMO.
                  Completely disagree. A team like the Jets which likely is another year away from really competing and has huge holes on the defense is better off signing 26 year old Justin Smiley for 9 million guaranteed then signing 33 year old Alan Faneca for 23 million guaranteed.

I mean if Smiley pans out, he has the potential to be one of the better OGs in the NFL and he'll get 25 million over the life of his 5 year contract. But Fanaca on the other hand can show signs of age, completely flop and they still have to pay him 23 million for the next 4 years no matter what.

I'm sorry but for a team that has so many holes in the defense I think the savings of a Justin Smiley compared to Alan Faneca is too big to ignore. Smiley is a much better signing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                    Completely disagree. A team like the Jets which likely is another year away from really competing and has huge holes on the defense is better off signing 26 year old Justin Smiley for 9 million guaranteed then signing 33 year old Alan Faneca for 23 million guaranteed.

I mean if Smiley pans out, he has the potential to be one of the better OGs in the NFL and he'll get 25 million over the life of his 5 year contract. But Fanaca on the other hand can show signs of age, completely flop and they still have to pay him 23 million for the next 4 years no matter what.

I'm sorry but for a team that has so many holes in the defense I think the savings of a Justin Smiley compared to Alan Faneca is too big to ignore. Smiley is a much better signing.
                    Uhhh...?

First off, Faneca is 31, not 33. Second off, Faneca is already established as one of the league's best guards if not THE best guard...I'll take that over hoping Smiley to ever become that any day.

31 year old Faneca for 8 million>>>>>>>>>>26 year old Smiley for 5 million

Comment

Faneca is very overrated, I do not like this move.

Comment

Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                        Uhhh...?

First off, Faneca is 31, not 33. Second off, Faneca is already established as one of the league's best guards if not THE best guard...I'll take that over hoping Smiley to ever become that any day.

31 year old Faneca for 8 million>>>>>>>>>>26 year old Smiley for 5 million
                        8 million and 5 million mean absolutely nothing. Non guaranteed contracts in the NFL buddy. It's 23 mil guaranteed for Faneca and 9 mil guaranteed for Smiley. Huge difference. If Smiley tanks next season, he'll never see the rest of the money and the Dolphins can move on. If Faneca wears down and gets old fast, they'll be paying him the rest of the 23 million for a long time.

OG to me is not that important a position and the difference Faneca will make there as opposed to Smiley is not worth an extra 14 million dollars guaranteed IMO.

Comment

Good signing for the Jets...he will earn every single dollar he is paid. Great player, and a great guy.

Comment

He certainly cashed in.

Although that's a lot of guaranteed money, it's a shorter deal so he should see the deal through.

But as I said in the FA Tracker thread, I think what Faneca brings extends past playing left guard exceptionally well. He brings a valuable veteran presence to the offensive line (most notably Mangold and D'Brick), and he adds to the team/locker room and the thought that not making the playoffs is failing. You need vets to set the standard for the team, and to police the locker room, a guy like Faneca adds that for Mangenius.
                            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              He certainly cashed in.

Although that's a lot of guaranteed money, it's a shorter deal so he should see the deal through.

But as I said in the FA Tracker thread, I think what Faneca brings extends past playing left guard exceptionally well. He brings a valuable veteran presence to the offensive line (most notably Mangold and D'Brick), and he adds to the team/locker room and the thought that not making the playoffs is failing. You need vets to set the standard for the team, and to police the locker room, a guy like Faneca adds that for Mangenius.
                              Exactly, furthermore this aids the development of D'Brick so much. He no longer has to worry about the guy his LG should be guarding and can focus on his own and will get some extra help from Faneca as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information