No announcement yet.

Justin Smith to 49ers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't imagine seeing him at DE really, but we'll see. I always thought he was overrated, but maybe he'll prove something here.
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

He's not taking Bryant Young's spot. Most likey they signed Smith to play OLB in their 3-4 sets and DE in their 4-3 fronts.

Overall the 49er's signings have been ok. They appear to have gotten the key guys that they've keyed on. I know they wanted Pace, but Smith might be even better for them.

Only questionable move was giving Sopoaga 20M, but hey, that's my Hawaii boy so... cheeeyyaaah! He MADE it! :D

Justin Smith -- 6YR, 45M
      Isa'ako Sopoaga -- 5YR, 20M
      Deshaun Foster -- 2YR, 1.8
      Roderick Green -- 1YR, 600K
      Allen Rossum -- 1YR, 800K
      Isaac Bruce -- 2YR, 6M
      Dontarrious Thomas -- 2YR, ?
      JT O'Sullivan -- 1YR, Minimum

Comment

Well at least now they're out of the running for Faneca (financially that is) or at least that's my guess...
        Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
          Well at least now they're out of the running for Faneca (financially that is) or at least that's my guess...
          They're not. They have a ton of money.
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

I like Smith as a player very much, but im skeptical as to how he helps out this defense. I think this mught hint at the possibility of playing a lot more 4-3 in 08

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Comment

Originally posted by asmitty45 View Post
              I like Smith as a player very much, but im skeptical as to how he helps out this defense. I think this mught hint at the possibility of playing a lot more 4-3 in 08
              Agent Jim Steiner, who represents Justin Smith, just confirmed it. He said, the contract is "agreed to, not signed." The deal will be signed today. Smith will receive $32.5 million in the first four years of the contract, which is more than Richard Seymour's four-year total with the Patriots. The 49ers tried to work a deal to trade for Smith at the deadline this past season, Steiner said, so they've "been on him for a while." As for Smith's role with the 49ers, "They're playing a hybrid of a 3-4 that will put the team and Justin in a position to win." Smith also strongly considered signing with the Vikings.

Comment

The Niners really like spending money during the offseason.

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

Not really happy about the signing...wtf are we doing? I hope it works out for the best, but that is just so much guaranteed money for such an unspectacular player.

Comment

All indications are the 49ers will use Smith as a 3-4 DE. I'd be really surprised if he was used much as an OLB.

Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                    I really don't think we were ever in the running. I know there have been some reports to that effect, but McCloughan has long stated that he doesn't believe in paying guards big money-- letting Justin Smiley walk is proof of that, IMO. Besides, I think SF is set at guard next year with Snyder, Baas, and Wragge for good depth. What they need is somebody to back up the tackle spots and maybe take over the RT spot in the not too distant future.

ETA: on the big spending in the offseason issue-- they had $30 million to start FA thanks to good cap management in recent years and they used it to sign one big money FA and a few second tier types (Rossum, Foster, Bruce, Thomas, and O'Sullivan). Not quite the Washington Redskins, IMO.
                    Last edited by stl9erfan; 03-01-2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I know a lot of teams looked at him as a 3-4 OLB, thinking he had the agility to potential make a Greg Ellis type move. If the Niners show more hybrid this year, then this move makes some sense. I just don't see him as a 3-4 DE unless we turn on the way back machine and go back to the Phil Hansen days.

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
                        hes 270 is he gonna put some wait on and play DE?
                        our lose a few punds and play outside?

but i hope they move to 4-3 Willis would be amazing IMO
                        He weighed in at 282 at his physical, so he should be fine as a 3-4 DE

Comment

Good deal for him I don't know about a good fit for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            He's not taking Bryant Young's spot. Most likey they signed Smith to play OLB in their 3-4 sets and DE in their 4-3 fronts.

Overall the 49er's signings have been ok. They appear to have gotten the key guys that they've keyed on. I know they wanted Pace, but Smith might be even better for them.

Only questionable move was giving Sopoaga 20M, but hey, that's my Hawaii boy so... cheeeyyaaah! He MADE it! :D

Justin Smith -- 6YR, 45M
                            Isa'ako Sopoaga -- 5YR, 20M
                            Deshaun Foster -- 2YR, 1.8
                            Roderick Green -- 1YR, 600K
                            Allen Rossum -- 1YR, 800K
                            Isaac Bruce -- 2YR, 6M
                            Dontarrious Thomas -- 2YR, ?
                            JT O'Sullivan -- 1YR, Minimum
                            "Justin Smith weighed in at 282 pounds during his physical yesterday. The 49ers confirmed that he will play right defensive end and would slide inside to tackle on passing downs. With good-looking youngster Ray McDonald also at right end, this is more evidence that Marques Douglas will not be back."

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/010904.html
                            Die hard 49ers fan for over 20 years.

Comment

I don't think he can play OLB unless it's like 15 percent of the time. And I'm also wondering why didn't the Bengals play him on the strong side. IMO he's not the athlete to play on the weakside. Isn't he more of a strength player? He'd be more successful against Right Tackles.
                              I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by Yung Flippa View Post
                                The Niners really like spending money during the offseason.
                                As does every other team. Strange, ever since last year when we signed Nate Clements to that deal that's not going to even reach it's potential most likely and couple of others players, everyone thinks we're the Washington Redskins now. But that's the only season maybe since 1994, our championship year, when we broke the bank.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                                Originally posted by Borat
                                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information