Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Smith to 49ers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271999

And it's official. 5 years. $45 million. I don't see how this improves their defense.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

hes 270 is he gonna put some wait on and play DE?
    our lose a few punds and play outside?

but i hope they move to 4-3 Willis would be amazing IMO

Comment

Well if he can get to the quarterback it will. He's already probably an upgrade over Banta-Cain. It's quite a financial risk though.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

also its 6 yrs not 5 yr wooo that would have been crazy

Comment

Smith would have been far better off signing with a team like the Jags or Titans or Vikings where he isn't the primary focus on the DL.

Unless he is moving to OLB which would seem like a pretty huge risk. Put this down as the early top entry for "Big FA moves of 08 that didn't pan out" for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
            Well if he can get to the quarterback it will. He's already probably an upgrade over Banta-Cain. It's quite a financial risk though.
            Not quite. The 49ers have been very smart with their structuring of the contracts in recent years. The Clements deal and Michael Lewis deal are perfect examples, players that can be cut after years 4-5 in their deals w/o too much salary cap ramifications. Despite all the losing we've done under nolan, the cap management skills of the front office has been one of the few bright spots.

btw, to the OP, it says 6 years 45 mill. I'm really interested to see how they use him. Will it be as a 3-4 DE, a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB.

Comment

Lots of teams were looking at him as a 3-4 end so I have no reason but to believe that's where he will end up starting.

Comment

Originally posted by sup3rdup3r View Post
                Not quite. The 49ers have been very smart with their structuring of the contracts in recent years. The Clements deal and Michael Lewis deal are perfect examples, players that can be cut after years 4-5 in their deals w/o too much salary cap ramifications. Despite all the losing we've done under nolan, the cap management skills of the front office has been one of the few bright spots.

btw, to the OP, it says 6 years 45 mill. I'm really interested to see how they use him. Will it be as a 3-4 DE, a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB.
                Yeah yeah yeah.

They gave the guy 20 million up front to play a position that nobody knows if he can play. That's financial risk no matter how you structure it.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Shock of the day. At least they played coy about it...

Comment

He'll replace Bryant Young at LDE, a guy he is pretty similar too (though not nearly as good of course). Should be similar to Trevor Pryce's role at DE in a 3-4 or the role that Chris Long would play in a 3-4 at DE.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                      He'll replace Bryant Young at LDE, a guy he is pretty similar too (though not nearly as good of course). Should be similar to Trevor Pryce's role at DE in a 3-4 or the role that Chris Long would play in a 3-4 at DE.
                      Agreed, even though I feel he is an upgrade compared to the Bryant Young of last year. Young is one of my all time fave Niners, but Justin Smith will be like Young of the past hopefully.
                      Die hard 49ers fan for over 20 years.

Comment

hopefully Calvin Pace didn't really get $20 million guaranteed...

Comment

I like the signing....he is a high motor, high character guy who has the ability to get to the QB and stop the run....and he is VERY durable.

He is making about the same per year as Kris "I used to be good" Jenkins.

I think the 49ers will move Justin Smith around...he has the versatility to play 3-4 DE (Lots of NFL defensive personnel guys love him as a 3-4 end) and OLB (Dick Lebeau likes him as an OLB). In our nickel package he will obviously play 4-3 end.

I think this is a very low risk signing, He's a guy who will try his best and make plays and our D-staff will put him in the right spots.

Comment

Good sign for the 9er's. Just need to keep building that D around Willis.

Comment

Two seasons ago the Packers signed Aaron Kampman to a 4 year $21 milllion deal. This was before he started getting a lot of sacks but he has always had a high amount of tackles, indicating he's an excellent run stopper and plays a lot of snaps. Much like Justin Smith

A comparison over the last 3 seasons, in which each player played the same amount of games, they are also the same age-

Kampman: at $5.25 million per year, $12 million guaranteed, $21 million total
                              78.3 Tackles per season
                              11.3 Sacks per season

Smith: at $7.5 million per year, $20 million guaranteed, $45 million total
                              74.6 Tackles per season
                              5.16 Sacks per season

If Kampman were a free agent he could've gotten probably $23-35 million guaranteed, 6 years, $54-60 million.

But you know who's really excited right now-DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman can't wait to get new deals and I think we could hear about possible extensions for them before the season starts.
                              I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information