X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drayton Florence signs with Jacksonville

POSTED 2:00 p.m. EST, March 1, 2008

FLORENCE PICKS THE JAGS

The Jaguars have continued their aggressive approach to free agency by agreeing to terms with cornerback Drayton Florence, according to FOXSports.com.

Florence was a second-round pick of the Chargers in 2003. The emergence of Antonio Cromartie made Florence expendable there. (Besides, tough-guy G.M. A.J. Smith likely couldn't get comfortable with having a player named "Florence" on the roster.)

Florence reportedly received $12 million in bonus money from the Jaguars.

On Friday, the Jags signed receiver Jerry Porter to a $30 million deal, with $10 million in guaranteed money.

Damn, I was really hoping that Washington would make a run for him.

Comment

The skinz dont have the cap room to make a run for anyone right now

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
        The skinz dont have the cap room to make a run for anyone right now
        What are you talking about?

We're 6-7 mill under the cap and can restructure plenty if needed.

Comment

RELIEF! Phew...

I honestly thought Dallas would go after him considering his relationship with Wade and Stewart.

I feel good about this bit of news.

All signs point to...

Comment

Drayton has certainly had an up and down career so far. He's got all the physical tools you could ask for, but his mental makeup isn't all there. He's got more than a couple unbelievably boneheaded plays in his history (particularly in the playoffs), but at the same time he knows how to find the ball and for the most part can cover the #2 receiver. Opposite Rashean, he should do OK.

My predominating thoughts of D-Flo are how he would have had at least 12 picks in 2006, but ended up with 3. Ball after ball just clanked off his hands. It was truly unbelievable. He played well in 2007 though.

At the end of the day, you have to give him props for holding off Cromartie for a year and a half.

I wish him nothing but the best against every team but the Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
              What are you talking about?

We're 6-7 mill under the cap and can restructure plenty if needed.
              You still have draft picks to sign...Thats not alot of cap IMO..but im sure you could make work they have done it before.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                Drayton has certainly had an up and down career so far. He's got all the physical tools you could ask for, but his mental makeup isn't all there. He's got more than a couple unbelievably boneheaded plays in his history (particularly in the playoffs), but at the same time he knows how to find the ball and for the most part can cover the #2 receiver. Opposite Rashean, he should do OK.

My predominating thoughts of D-Flo are how he would have had at least 12 picks in 2006, but ended up with 3. Ball after ball just clanked off his hands. It was truly unbelievable. He played well in 2007 though.

At the end of the day, you have to give him props for holding off Cromartie for a year and a half.

I wish him nothing but the best against every team but the Chargers.
                As of now he'd be our nickel corner, but he may compete with Brian Williams for the #2 spot.

Either way, it greatly improves our secondary, which had a rotation of nickel backs who all had weaknesses that were exposed during the season.

by BoneKrusher
                <DG> how metal unseen
                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I like this signing. They needed depth in the secondary. Not sure who starts, though. I'm assuming Florence over Williams. Interesting how they have two small school corners from 2003, 7 picks apart.

Interesting offseason so far for the Jags. Had corner concerns. Check. Needed to look at WR. Good gamble on Williamson. Intriguing look at Porter.

Still could look more WR, OL, maybe S. But the big position is DE, and this does set them up for the possibility of being aggressive in the draft to grab a DE.

Redskins could've made it work. Would've required a few restructurings. That said, I think they are probably trying to target a big fish first, and if not, they'll look to the draft. I still think CB is the most likely position in the first for them assuming they don't make any major moves in FA.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
                    You still have draft picks to sign...Thats not alot of cap IMO..but im sure you could make work they have done it before.

http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl

Per KFFL we're 6.3 under atm. When Brunell leaves that will be up to about 9-10; and that's without restructures. Snyder can go out and get just about anybody he wants.

Comment

This must have been done in the last 2 days. When I last looked you guess did not have that much room.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                        I like this signing. They needed depth in the secondary. Not sure who starts, though. I'm assuming Florence over Williams. Interesting how they have two small school corners from 2003, 7 picks apart.

Interesting offseason so far for the Jags. Had corner concerns. Check. Needed to look at WR. Good gamble on Williamson. Intriguing look at Porter.

Still could look more WR, OL, maybe S. But the big position is DE, and this does set them up for the possibility of being aggressive in the draft to grab a DE.
                        Like Unseen said, he's our nickel back right now...but I'm sure Jack Del Rio will open up the #2 corner spot to competition...Brian Williams was the best player in the secondary this past season so it's premature to think that Florence comes in right away and takes the spot away from Williams...this definitely upgrades the position to where we can play more 3 corner sets...

the Jaguars, IMO, are one of the clear winners in Free Agency thus far...

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information