Quarterbacks and the Wonderlic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
    vague estimations like this have no place in real statistic analysis.
    Oh come now. Unless you have access to the actual test each quarterback took, the final score is a vague estimation, espcially on a test like the wonderlic. A quarterback's success or value is not always decided by how many touchdowns he throws per season, and without a standard one would think that a basic 1-100 rating of his success is probably more useful, as long as the ratings are consistent.

Comment

Daunte Culpepper 80
      Donovan McNabb 89
      Aaron Brooks 68
      Tom Brady 99
      Marc Bulger 88
      Michael Vick 85
      Drew Brees 89
      David Garrard 83
      Carson Palmer 90
      Tony Romo 88 (right now)
      Eli Manning 90
      Ben Roethlisberger 90
      Phillip Rivers 86

Tim Couch 54
      Akili Smith 50
      Cade McNown 50
      Quincy Carter 62
      David Carr 69
      Joey Harrington 67
      Kyle Boller 65
      Rex Grossman 72
      Charlie Frye 61

Chad Pennington 75
      Josh McCown 73
      Byron Leftwich 75
      Aaron Rodgers Who Knows
      Jason Campbell 79
      Kyle Orton 70
      J. P. Losman 75
      Matt Schaub 78
      Alex Smith 79

Is that what you want?

Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
        He got a 48, and the got pissed off because he graduated from Harvard and thought he should have done better. So he took it again and got a 50.
        I thought it looked kinda of low that number. I remember him being a harvard grad, and figured i remembered seeing his score being higher.

Comment

JBond, based on that scale, Aaron Brooks is pretty low. Yes, he sucks, but he's had considerable success when measured against some of the people on this list (some of whom are rated ahead of him).

Comment

Originally posted by marks01234 View Post
            What has Tony Romo done to merit being 7 points higher than Phillip Rivers?

Your entire system is flawed. The idea that you made personal accessments of a players career based on your opinion makes your study worthless.

Furthermore, there are way to many factors that are not held constant here. How would these QBs have done in different systems, with different players and different coaching and with different development plans.

Why don't you just go ahead and cure cancer while you are at it.
            As I've pointed out many times before this, assessing the validity of a large number of things requires making personal judgements and collecting opinions. This is not only the case for my study, but also for the widely accepted college rating systems put forth by the US News and World report, among others. Even any statistical analysis in this case requires a certain amount of subjectivity, which I have admitted to. There is absolutely no way that this will be a definitive study. This is a silly little project that I undertook at 12:00 last night while trolling through old draft information. Give me a break. I'm not trying to change the world or even the way the draft works. All I'm asking for is a little bit of everyone else's cooperation here in making this study more accurate. So get off my back and don't be so uptight about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
              I thought it looked kinda of low that number. I remember him being a harvard grad, and figured i remembered seeing his score being higher.
              Him doing that would have been enough to knock him off my draft board if I was a GM. Seemed a bit uneccessary to prove he was smarter than all the QBs because he went to Harvard.

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                Daunte Culpepper 80
                Donovan McNabb 89
                Aaron Brooks 68
                Tom Brady 99
                Marc Bulger 88
                Michael Vick 85
                Drew Brees 89
                David Garrard 83
                Carson Palmer 90
                Tony Romo 88 (right now)
                Eli Manning 90
                Ben Roethlisberger 90
                Phillip Rivers 86

Tim Couch 54
                Akili Smith 50
                Cade McNown 50
                Quincy Carter 62
                David Carr 69
                Joey Harrington 67
                Kyle Boller 65
                Rex Grossman 72
                Charlie Frye 61

Chad Pennington 75
                Josh McCown 73
                Byron Leftwich 75
                Aaron Rodgers Who Knows
                Jason Campbell 79
                Kyle Orton 70
                J. P. Losman 75
                Matt Schaub 78
                Alex Smith 79

Is that what you want?
                That's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                  Him doing that would have been enough to knock him off my draft board if I was a GM. Seemed a bit uneccessary to prove he was smarter than all the QBs because he went to Harvard.
                  Yeah but other qbs get on their knees and see how far they throw the ball, to show how great of an arm they have. In this case he wanted to prove how smart he is. In order to really know, I would need to know his personality and if he is in fact arrogant. I don't mind having a guy do that, as long as he isn't openly putting other Qbs down for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                    JBond, based on that scale, Aaron Brooks is pretty low. Yes, he sucks, but he's had considerable success when measured against some of the people on this list (some of whom are rated ahead of him).
                    Brooks had one good year, I rate him right around Carr and Orton honestly.

Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Brooks had one good year, I rate him right around Carr and Orton honestly.
                      Four straight years with 20+ touchdowns, two of them with a QB rating over 80 gets him a rating below that of Josh McCown though?

For that matter, Byron Leftwich has never thrown more than 15 touchdowns in any given season. I think you're giving too much credit to younger quarterbacks.

Comment

Just to note, JBond's grades also yielded if anything a slightly negative, although not very valid, correlation between QB grade and Wonderlic score. The overwhelming evidence provided to me thus far indicates that there is no correlation whatsoever.

Comment

Here.

Passer rating = x/158 (will give you a % of 100) * 60%, win/total percentage (of 100) * 40%, Factor of passer rating should give you a 'decent' idea of what
                          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            Four straight years with 20+ touchdowns, two of them with a QB rating over 80 gets him a rating below that of Josh McCown though?

For that matter, Byron Leftwich has never thrown more than 15 touchdowns in any given season. I think you're giving too much credit to younger quarterbacks.
                            Maybe I am, but even so, it isn't about exact numbers Paranoid, it's about generally the Wonderlic. It has little to no bearing. 'Nugh said.

Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Maybe I am, but even so, it isn't about exact numbers Paranoid, it's about generally the Wonderlic. It has little to no bearing. 'Nugh said.
                              Agreed. The wonderlic is a fairly awkwardly adapted test. It would do just about as good to give each quarterback an IQ test (only this would prove to be way more entertaining).

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                                Here.

Passer rating = x/158 (will give you a % of 100) * 60%, win/total percentage (of 100) * 40%, Factor of passer rating should give you a 'decent' idea of what
                                That's just as subjective as grading each quarterback individually...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information