QB Brian Griese traded to Tampa Bay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Brian Griese traded to Tampa Bay

Chicago Bears quarterback Brian Griese has been traded to the Bucs.

Terms of the deal were undisclosed, but it is believed to be for a second-day draft pick in 2009. Griese was owed a $300,000 roster bonus Tuesday, prompting the Bears to part ways with their veteran backup. Rather than risk bidding for him in free agency, the Bucs completed a trade.

It's Griese's second stint with Tampa Bay. He quarterbacked the Bucs to a 5-1 start in 2005 before suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee. Chris Simms went 6-5 down the stretch, leading the Bucs to the playoffs before a loss to Washington in the NFC wildcard game.

The Bucs were unable to renegoiate Griese's contract and he became a free agent, signing with the Bears.

Ironically, the trade for Griese leaves Simms' future with the Bucs in doubt. He has not played a meaningful snap in about 16 months and could be traded or released. The Bucs also have Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown. Bruce Gradkowski and Jake Plummer under contract.

Source: http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/...-traded-t.html

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Good job by the Bears in getting something out of him instead of nothing.

Comment

Amazing that the Bears got a pick out of him.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

its funny how Buccs keep trying to get QB's
        i wonder how many qb there gonna have this year

Comment

IS Tampa off their rocker? He would have been released. I'll laugh pretty hard if it was anything more than a 7th.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
            IS Tampa off their rocker? He would have been released. I'll laugh pretty hard if it was anything more than a 7th.
            We traded for Ryan Grant when he was about to get released. Worked out great but I see your point.
            I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

I'm utterly stunned we got anything. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something like a conditional 2009 6th or 7th rounder. Anything more, and I'd be shocked.

I'm not sure what Gruden's intent is with this move. Luke McCown looked decent. They could use a spot for a QB of the future. How do things shake out?

Comment

Tampa Bay really seems to like collecting average QB's (except for Garcia who actually played pretty good).

Garcia, McCown, Sims, Griese, Gradkowski, (Plummer)

Am I forgetting someone?

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Do they want Brunell too?

Comment

Hell why not trade for Steve McNair and make all Ravens' fans happy!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                    On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                    Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

I dont understand this... Why does Tampa Bay need so many Quarterbacks??? Can someone answer that for me?

Comment

what the ****

**** this ****

bonekrusher on the sig magic
                        <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
                        <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

Comment

Like Tampa 2 said in the Bucs team board. Gruden just loves collecting his QB's.

Comment

Gruden is a moron and is the single worst evaluator of talent in the NFL.

Comment

Is Kelly Holcomb still available?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information