Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Missing Something with the Redskins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    I kept telling people it was pretty pointless to say things like the Redskins cant afford Deangelo Hall, or anyone else for that matter...Snyder spends money and makes it work, and he has no problem trading draft picks for high priced players.
    That was me who said it, but i only said it about redskins.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
      It's not without future consequences though, and it certainly isn't a "way around the cap". If it wasn't for the nicely timed CBA extension with the cap spikes, the Redskins wouldn't be as comfortable right now (along with a few other teams). It's pretty hard to be in cap hell when the cap spikes up as much as it has lately. It is still merely a way of selling the future cap health for the immediate team's sake. It is definitely a little more advanced than normal methods of spending for now and paying for it later, but it does catch up. It's really just pushing money around, not making it disappear. One year, Snyder may find there is no possible way to push that money around with his player contracts anymore, and it will be impossible for him to fit under. There was a rumor that could have been the case in 06 had the CBA not been extended.
      This is a good point. The last two years the salary cap has jumped in very large amounts to the CBA agreement. Thats why you see these crazy contracts and so many teams with 20-30 million in cap room. Starting with next year, the increases in the salary cap should be much more minimal than they have the last two years. Could be why the Skins, despite getting under the cap this year, haven't made many moves. It won't be as easy for them to get under the cap next year.

Comment

Originally posted by flave1969 View Post
        They cut one player in Brandon Lloyd who will be a June 1st Cut.
        Lloyd is not a June 1st cut. He is already cut and signed with Chicago. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TyronePoole38 View Post
          Lloyd is not a June 1st cut. He is already cut and signed with Chicago. ;)
          You can now cut two players ahead of June 1st and split the money in the same way as the old rule. You do not have to wait anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
            This is a good point. The last two years the salary cap has jumped in very large amounts to the CBA agreement. Thats why you see these crazy contracts and so many teams with 20-30 million in cap room. Starting with next year, the increases in the salary cap should be much more minimal than they have the last two years. Could be why the Skins, despite getting under the cap this year, haven't made many moves. It won't be as easy for them to get under the cap next year.
            Next year I think you are going to see some major cuts in the roster, for instance I just can't see our top three salaried players this year being on the roster next year (Springs, Washington, and Griffin) and not because of money. Right there if they were to be let go you are looking at somewhere in the region of $15 million in savings.

Adding up the Top 51 contracts for next year, which will change because of the draft signings. They stand at 120 million, if you add in Brandon Lloyds Dead Cap that totals around $124 million, for 09 we have no more Dead Cap right now. That will change I am sure by the end of the summer.

At the appropriate time next year I think you will see the Redskins around $10-$12 million under the 2009 cap.

Comment

Snyder is probably also doing his financial planning knowing that there is a good chance there won't be a salary cap in a few years when the CBA runs out.

Comment

I keep seeing that you believe the cap will be a thing of the past shortly. Why do you believe this?
                Vic: I’m starting to think that way because I see teams operating decidedly against the spirit of the cap; almost in contempt of it. Washington is the best example. The Redskins have been pushing the revenue envelope in a big way, which, of course, drives the cap higher and higher and makes it more difficult for small-market, low-revenue teams to keep their heads above water. The Redskins know that. The Redskins have also been pushing the cap envelope in a big way and wouldn’t have been able to get under the cap in 2006 if there hadn’t been a new CBA. They could find themselves back in that situation in ’09 if owners vote no on the current CBA on Nov. 8, something I have to believe the Redskins didn’t believe would happen. If ’09 is to be the last capped year, then something called a “30 percent rule” will be invoked and that’ll restrict the Redskins’ ability to convert base salary into signing bonus, which is a popular way of creating cap room. If ’09 is to be the last capped year, the Redskins could possibly find themselves unable to get under the cap or having to cut anybody who represents a cap savings. For the cap system to work, all of the teams have to be on board with it; all teams have to operate respectfully of the cap system and within the spirit of its intent. If a few teams want to kill it, they can, and I’m seeing teams that want to kill it.

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6803

There you go.

Comment

Seems to me they should just tighten up cap policy regarding 'cash over cap' conduct for any new CBA - sure most owners would agree.

And this is what I meant for 06-07 where the Redskins apparently may not have been able to fit under the cap then either if it wasn't for the CBA extension. Didn't know there was a "30% rule" though, thanks for adding that.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Oz, I didn't realize the signing bonus was spread over the life of the contract.

Also a very good point about the growth of the cap. I still have a hard time believing some of the contracts (Pace, Walker) people are receiving in free agency. No doubt Snyder's contracts in recent years have pushed the price of free agents through the roof.

Side Note: I was a lurker, but I have changed my ways :)

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                      I'm still surprised the Redskins haven't made a move for DJ Hackett, considering there isn't much of a market out there for him right now. He seems to be a perfect fit (bigger receiver, knows the system).
                      Hackett is scheduled for a FA visit today.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information