No announcement yet.

Broncos fire GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason I just get the feeling GMs make less of a difference in football than they do in baseball, especially with regards to talent evaluation and acquisition, so I don't know how big of a deal this is with the time of year thing.

I could be completely wrong though...

Comment

He's been the GM forever. Shanny makes the final decisions but they've always credited Sundquist as being an integral part of the process. The Broncos are my team and I keep up pretty well. There were no rumblings about this. Something weird had to happen because the timing is ridiculous.

Honestly, I hope this doesn't turn into a trade with the Jets. I'd just as soon keep the extra 4th and Foxworth and pick up another DT in the draft.

Comment

Mike Shanahan is basically the GM. This is a token firing in my opinion. It is to show the fans they are making a change since Shanahan cannot be fired or at least wont be.

Comment

Originally posted by andyjo672 View Post
          For some reason I just get the feeling GMs make less of a difference in football than they do in baseball, especially with regards to talent evaluation and acquisition, so I don't know how big of a deal this is with the time of year thing.

I could be completely wrong though...
          You're definitely wrong there. The Colts and Patriots wouldn't be half the teams they are today without Bill Polian and Scott Pioli respectively. Polian was the one who made the Manning over Leaf decision, and has put 2-3 (if not more) starters on the field from just about every draft since he came to Indianapolis. Scott Pioli has done just about the same for the Patriots. Without those GMs (or "VP of Personnel" in Pioli's case) finding the late round scheme fits that wind up being gems for their teams, they'd both fluctuate year in and out like most NFL teams.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Another great example of this is the Browns turning it around under Phil Savage after years upon years of toiling away in mediocrity. If all the moves he's made this offseason work out, he should be executive of the year.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by 20yardline View Post
              Mike Shanahan is basically the GM. This is a token firing in my opinion. It is to show the fans they are making a change since Shanahan cannot be fired or at least wont be.
              That would only make sense if there was a huge outcry from the fans to fire Shanahan or someone else. There hasn't been. Opinions are split on whether or not the Broncos should be more involved in free agency or if this slow approach is better, but there hasn't been any outpouring of anger that would demand a scapegoat at this point in time. The bloodletting already happened with the firing of the D Coordinator right after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                i don't know much about the broncos, but from the outside...they have a qb of the future, always set at rb, great secondary...not their fault that they play the colts every year in the playoffs. they had one down year last year but were 7-9, pretty much won the games they should have, and had two players die before the season. rough year. Millen stays but yet Sundquist goes...
                You are forgetting about the 2 most important aspects of football.

Offensive and Defensive lines...both of which suck in Denver which is why they are up and down.
                Originally posted by Paul
                Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

hi njx, where have you been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                  <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                  Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

hey he's back :)

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                      and no. no broncos fan in their right mind lays most of (or really, even much of) the blame at sundquists's feet. but let's not act like the broncos just suffered some major loss.
                      Exactly. Shanahan has the final say on pretty much all personnel decisions. Sundquist was completely expendable.

It will be interesting to see who they bring in the fill the GM role. If they promote from within, well, then Shanahan remains totally in the driver's seat. However, if they bring in someone established from outside the organization, then I think the writing will be on the wall for Shanahan. He's not the kind of guy who would accept having his decision-making authority reduced...

Anyway, the timing is just bizarre. If I had to guess, I'd hazard that the powers-that-be got pissed off that no progress had been made on improving the DL...

Comment

In these situations, it is usually a pwer struggle within the organization and probably was between him and Shanny.
                        And proud of it!!!

Comment

So if Shanny has the final word....maybe he should have been the one that received the red card?
                          Originally posted by Paul
                          Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                          Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                          These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

BS

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                            i don't know much about the broncos, but from the outside...they have a qb of the future, always set at rb, great secondary...not their fault that they play the colts every year in the playoffs. they had one down year last year but were 7-9, pretty much won the games they should have, and had two players die before the season. rough year. Millen stays but yet Sundquist goes...
                            If they should have won the games they should have then why did the Raiders own them both times. The first game was won by a bs timeout by shanarat. The second game Lane made the proper adjustments and out coached the rat.

Comment

If the broncos have a bad season, think Shanny could get fired?

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                                i'm probably in the minority, but i don't strongly disagree... that said, i'm not sure there's anyone i'd want right now to replace him. he DID do a fantastic job about a decade ago, and we have been one of the more consistent clubs since our last super bowl win (only one losing season since 2000). in the end, i think bowlen needs to force him to realize that drafting people like clarett is unacceptable, and that signing guys like daryl gardner and dale carter won't fly in the future. maybe he's turned it around? i like the last two drafts. and had darrent not been shot, we'd have three decent years of drafting. granted, only one of those years has focused at all on the trenches.

*shrug* i go back and forth quite a bit on shanny's future with the team. part of the problem, imo, was that we never did have that truly awful season. we haven't had the chance to pick in the top ten (iirc, we haven't had a top ten pick longer than any other team (1991)), and this year is the highest we've picked since 1996 (15). not that draft position is the end all by any means, but it seems like every other team has had a few chances to get some of those top rated guys a few times, where we haven't.
                                As much as some hate has arised from Shanahan, I bet a majority of teams would take a coach with his success over the years. However, I think his time has come to an end and a change is needed. I mean, at some point, you need a change within the team to get some fresh blood in to fire up the juices.

Originally posted by Play Hard View Post
                                If they should have won the games they should have then why did the Raiders own them both times. The first game was won by a bs timeout by shanarat. The second game Lane made the proper adjustments and out coached the rat.
                                Raiders did not "own" the Broncos in the 1st game. If anything, the Raiders were lucky it was close at the end. I remember the lightning delay absolutely killed momentum the Broncos had.
                                Second game, different story. Broncos were completely demoralized and played like crap and got thrashed.

Originally posted by Eagles own the NFC East View Post
                                If the broncos have a bad season, think Shanny could get fired?
                                Honestly, if its another losing season, I want him gone if someone else is available to step in.
                                However, he probably will get another pass, well, maybe, maybe not. Pat Bowlen seems irritated that the team went downhill the past 2 years and I suspect if he doesn't see a significant improvement, something will be done.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information