Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jets Spending Spree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
    I'd say the answer is that you draft a young RB and work both of them together to protect your QB.
    I'd like to see that and a young WR; Clemens already has a TE for a couple more years and he seemed to be a security blanket while he was running for his life from our porous Oline this year.

    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

    Comment


    • #17
      Well, I think they went overboard with free agency.

      The thing I don't like is they went with a 'win now' type of move. The main reason I have a problem with that is because they lack a proven quarterback. Pennington is somewhat proven, but he's not a long term solution for the Jets. Clemens is still an unknown.

      There is such a huge question mark at the QB position that a win now type of move could have all been for not if they don't have a reliable quarterback to lead them.

      They have been drafting pretty well. I think if they signed Faneca and continued to build from the draft it would've been a much better off-season thus far.

      I suppose we'll have to wait and see though.
      (shameless self-promotion)
      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

      Comment


      • #18
        look at the redskins..... how many of their big signings workedout

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
          I know this thread is a little late, but I heard this week the Jets had Ty Law in. The Jets have spent a remarkable amount of money this off season plain and simple. Personally I think this is the wrong way to build a long term contender. Obviously for next season the Jets are a much better team, however, losing draft picks and signing veterans to big contracts just seems to a bad idea.What is everyone's view on the Jets eventful off season?
          as a jets fan i do not agree with teh spending. by the time the team is ready to compete. most of these guys will be done. first they need to get kellen some weapons, perhaps dj hackett. this offense is about as entertaining and watching a snail take a dump

          Comment


          • #20
            I really think Mangini and Tannenbaum are trying to save their asses with this spending. People have really soured on Mangini in NY. He went from being Mangenius to Mangidiot. The Jets need DL. Until they get that, they are still going to be run on for huge clips at a time. I'm with Bearsfans on this. Terrible offseason. The only good move was bring in Faneca. I still think they need maybe another guard, OLB, and DE. And they are also putting all their eggs in the Kris Jenkins basket. Which could be potentially terrible.

            Comment


            • #21
              The jets signed a lot of guys for way to much they are worth. The word that comes to mind when summing up the jets offseason is... Desperate

              Comment


              • #22
                I personally do not buy a make or break year for mangini and tannenbaum just becuase they've invested so heavily in FA. This wasn't a careless spending spree, this was a thought out plan in which they cleared cap room for the previous two years in order to procede with. Woody realizes that his coach is building a new defense and isn't going to fire a guy especially when you can see some of the pieces falling into place.

                Obviously i'm a jets fan and this can be looked at as just defending my team, but i don't understand why this spending is such a big deal. People say that free agency is risky, but so is the draft. Suceeding in free agency takes the same type of talent and character evaluation that the draft requires; I would imagine since our FO has shown some ability in the draft that they know what they're doing in free agency. I would personally take an improved team than a crappy team who plays 30 million under the cap.

                Well if it's not a job security reason than what's the driving force behind the moves?? I think it's flat out that mangini and tannenbaum are trying to put out the best team that they can for 2008. They want to win and spread that winning culture throughout their franchise. Yes, they need a WR, #2 CB (if miller doesn't pan out) a DE and maybe another OLB, but what's stopping them from getting these pieces in the next 2 or 3 years? Thats 15+ picks in the next three years to fill those slots; these players will then have a year or two to learn behind, Faneca, Jenkins and Woody. I don't understand why everyones acting like in three years when these 3 or 4 players stop playing our team is just gonna stop competing; if they draft right, the incumbent starters will be playing behind these guys for atleast a year.

                Now, i'm not saying it's an amazing offseason, becuase you don't know that until you see the impact they have on the team the following years. However, by filling all of the holes on our team, it does give them flexibility entering the draft in order to make moves and take BPA. Due to the Pats being so dominant in our division, we needed to make moves to be competitive and instill a winning culture with our team and fans. I for one am happy our team is serious about winning and not just feeding the fans some BS about wanting to win, when they are more worried about making money.

                "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                  Suceeding in free agency takes the same type of talent and character evaluation that the draft requires; I would imagine since our FO has shown some ability in the draft that they know what they're doing in free agency.
                  It does, but the difference is if you miss on a free agent, you're out a lot of cap room and have a gaping hole on your roster. If you miss on a draft pick (aside from 1st round), you're out a small amount of cap space and have a minor hole on your roster.


                  The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

                  If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

                  <Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                  <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                    It does, but the difference is if you miss on a free agent, you're out a lot of cap room and have a gaping hole on your roster. If you miss on a draft pick (aside from 1st round), you're out a small amount of cap space and have a minor hole on your roster.
                    Very true, and i don't have the exact contract numbers, but from what i've been told, tannenbaum has left himself some outs. He's the one who got us out of the crazy mess bradway put us in and got us 25 million under in a matter of 2 seasons. I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the year in order to see if they pan on.



                    By the way, I was looking over the old pictures again and this one you posted was the funniest one i've ever seen on this site.



                    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                      Very true, and i don't have the exact contract numbers, but from what i've been told, tannenbaum has left himself some outs. He's the one who got us out of the crazy mess bradway put us in and got us 25 million under in a matter of 2 seasons. I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the year in order to see if they pan on.



                      By the way, I was looking over the old pictures again and this one you posted was the funniest one i've ever seen on this site.


                      that picture will be the death of me. Every time I see it I just laugh so hard my guts start hurting.

                      Sig by Fenikz

                      I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                        Very true, and i don't have the exact contract numbers, but from what i've been told, tannenbaum has left himself some outs. He's the one who got us out of the crazy mess bradway put us in and got us 25 million under in a matter of 2 seasons. I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the year in order to see if they pan on.
                        Well, that's the smart way to do FA contracts. Roster bonuses are the best cap trick I know of, as they can be averted (by release), amortized (by conversion to signing bonus), or paid, depending on the need of the cap situation. Other than cash over cap, it's probably the best way to work around the cap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying testing the free agent market is a bad idea, just that it comes at a lot higher risk than a draft pick 9 times out of 10.

                        Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                        By the way, I was looking over the old pictures again and this one you posted was the funniest one i've ever seen on this site.


                        Ah, yes, that was a classic. I wish I could take credit for it, but that came courtesy of another Colts fan over at a Colts board I frequent, the url of which I would post, but I don't want to infringe on the rules of this site. I wonder if Ricky Manning Jr. has ever seen that picture...
                        Last edited by Dam8610; 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM.


                        The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

                        If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

                        <Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          First, with the way the cap is increasing, these contracts aren't really that bad.
                          Second, you have to be in ridiculously horrible cap situation prior to the new labor agreement to not be under the cap by 10+ million, so the fact that the Jets got under by 25 in 2 seasons isn't that big of a deal IMO.
                          Third, I don't see how these moves will suddenly make the Jets a contender. Nearly all the Steeler fans I've heard have said Faneca was overrated last year and past his prime. Kris Jenkins is a huge question mark, and Calvin Pace a smaller one.
                          Add to the fact that I'm not impressed with their QB's, I see an average season upcoming.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by jth1331 View Post
                            First, with the way the cap is increasing, these contracts aren't really that bad.
                            Second, you have to be in ridiculously horrible cap situation prior to the new labor agreement to not be under the cap by 10+ million, so the fact that the Jets got under by 25 in 2 seasons isn't that big of a deal IMO.
                            Third, I don't see how these moves will suddenly make the Jets a contender. Nearly all the Steeler fans I've heard have said Faneca was overrated last year and past his prime. Kris Jenkins is a huge question mark, and Calvin Pace a smaller one.
                            Add to the fact that I'm not impressed with their QB's, I see an average season upcoming.
                            I agree that Faneca is overrated, Fitz's contract helped the Cardinals dodge that bullet. Jenkins is a huge question mark, apparently he ended last year at 390 and there is a clause in the contract that he has to make weight every pay check, as for Pace I think he will be fine, did they overpay for him? Yes. But he is solid as a 3-4 OLB and I would expect another 90 tackle 8 sack season

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                              Ah, yes, that was a classic. I wish I could take credit for it, but that came courtesy of another Colts fan over at a Colts board I frequent, the url of which I would post, but I don't want to infringe on the rules of this site. I wonder if Ricky Manning Jr. has ever seen that picture...
                              I don't think he has... he's probably drawing...

                              Sig by Fenikz

                              I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jth1331 View Post
                                Nearly all the Steeler fans I've heard have said Faneca was overrated last year and past his prime.
                                What are they going to say? "We're losing an important part of our team that's going to hurt us"? No fan is going to say that unless it's blatantly obvious. IMO Faneca was upset that the Steelers didn't want to extend him and mailed it in last year. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him have a Pro Bowl caliber year.

                                Originally posted by Addict View Post
                                I don't think he has... he's probably drawing...
                                Yeah, probably. After all, he has a crayon.


                                The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

                                If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

                                <Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                                <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information