Jets Spending Spree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets Spending Spree

I know this thread is a little late, but I heard this week the Jets had Ty Law in. The Jets have spent a remarkable amount of money this off season plain and simple. Personally I think this is the wrong way to build a long term contender. Obviously for next season the Jets are a much better team, however, losing draft picks and signing veterans to big contracts just seems to a bad idea.What is everyone's view on the Jets eventful off season?

The way the pats are playing they need to improve now not later, if they ever want to win the division. I thnk they did very well this offseason. And if they make the right pick in round one( by right pick I mean someone that can make a difference right away) and Clemons has a breakout season. They could be in the playoffs next come the end of the year. IMO

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

I've said already that I think the Jets had a laughably bad offseason. A bunch of money for guys like Calvin Pace and Damien Woody. They still won't make the playoffs.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I think if this offseason was coupled with an attention on the future, then I'd applaud them. I like the Calvin Pace signing a lot, and Woody/Faneca are OL immediate upgrades to protect their young QB. A solid draft focused on the future, and the team is in very good shape.

That said, I expect them to try and mix and match it. I expect they'll try to fill immediate holes (CB/FS/ILB/WR perhaps) while also building a young core around Clemens (thus, I wouldn't be surprised with a RB pick even though they have signed Chatman and have Jones/Washington; certainly WR is a future move, and I could see them net a TE).

Personally, I would still like to see them focus early on adding at least 1 DL guy, along with an edge guy. Add a developmental tackle as well.

I'm not sure they'll go edge that early, though. With Pace at one spot, and having to pay Thomas, I think they may opt to wait a bit on it.

That said, just speculation, so only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
          I've said already that I think the Jets had a laughably bad offseason. A bunch of money for guys like Calvin Pace and Damien Woody. They still won't make the playoffs.
          I don't know, bud. I think they are, I'm penciling them (or Buffalo) for the 6th seed maybe.

Faneca and Woody, well moreso Faneca, bring a lot to the OL. They are going to help the offense a great deal, Thomas Jones especially has a better chance to succeed like he can.

Does Jenkins do the same for the defense? Can't be any worse than it was with Robertson, who really belongs in a 4-3. Pace ... I mean it's not like I can tell the guy from Adam, but he should be a good LOLB.

Mangenius is getting the defense turned around in his image, honestly I think he's only a few pieces away. I really do. If they can take Gholston with the 6th overall pick, that's one big piece, but we'll see the board works out come late April.
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I know, we've discussed this before. I've got the Bills ahead of the Jets right now. The Jets could have a great draft and change my mind though. They need another corner, and probably two more linebackers (inside and outside). Drafting Darren McFadden wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

The defense was doing good things as the year progressed, I believe. Trading for both Revis and Harris was very costly, but they got quality players that they will hang onto.

Comment

I root ridiculously hard for the Bills, but I'm worried about the change in offensive coordinator from Steve Fairchild. Don't overlook it imo, especially when the offense already had a difficult time putting points on the board before.

Still, Trent Edwards is a big upgrade over Losman, who couldn't even hit wide open receivers on moderate routes right.

Comment

No I think the Jets had a great draft last year and the year before. That's the thing I don't get. It's as if they lost their confidence in the draft and just threw a bunch of money around for no reason.

The only signing I liked was Faneca purely as a value signing, but it's really with an emphasis on the now, and the now to me isn't even in the playoffs, let alone competing for a title.

Comment

I agree. I expect that from their GM who isn't good, but Mangenius doesn't have to worry about job security. Or at least he shouldn't imo, I would commit to him for at least five full years. Especially as he's building a 3-4 defense to win.

Interesting that they haven't moved Pennington, maybe he starts again to help them get back to the playoffs. Having a better OL as opposed to a gaping hole at LG tremendously helps whoever is at quarterback.

Comment

I'm generally not one to say how good a gree agency period is until i actually see the impact they have on the team, but i can make a few tongue in cheek comments here.

I think the player who has the potential to have the biggest impact will be jenkins, however i feel faneca will have the biggest impact. He got a large 5 year contract, but if you look how it was structured, if he isn't playing up to his probowl caliber level he will only see 4 years of the deal. He will not only bring an immediate increase in play over our previous human turnstyle of a LG, but potentially increase the play of Mangold and Dbrick. As far as he stays healthy, and he always has, he'll be a good addition.

I was surprised that Woody got the contract he did, but mangini tried getting him the previous year so he must see something in him. I didn't see him play RT, but i heard he did a decent job. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the jets draft a RT in the top of the 2nd round and slide woody into RG, which would leave brandon moore as a very solid backup. Having Callahan on the team i wouldn't be surprised if the jets took nicks in the 2nd or move up into the 3rd if nicks drops.

Pace was given a large contract but only 11ish million was guaranteed compared to the 22 that was reported. Yes he is due a 9 million dollar roster bonus in 09, which he most certainly will get, but it leaves them an out if he flops. He looked good from the one game i saw him, but i'm not sure how they are going to use him. If they plan on him being their rushOLB, or if they'll slide him inside if they get a gholston.

I think the signing of tony richardson will do wonders for the running game; if they end up getting dmac, richardson could easily be leading a new rookie sensation to a 1000 yards.

On paper they filled a lot of holes, which gives them flexibility entering the draft to get BPA, but that of course is just on paper. I guess we'll see what type of impact these guys have in the coming year. (i also think that the browns are in a similar situation when they took some players in free agency who have the potential of having a huge impact on their team)

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Well, on the OL signings, and argument can be made that they are intending to go with Clemens, and the veterans will be more ready to help. And a case can be made that, on Pace, they might've really loved the fit, which is understandable. The Jenkins trade might be a reflection on their perception of their ability to get DT options in the draft, or the fact that netting Jenkins for said cost was a much more effective move than drafting a youngster with a higher pick.

I mean, they still have most of their picks. This isn't exactly tossing the draft away.

As of now, I'd take Buffalo over New York Jets as well. Their QB situation is a bit more settled, their skill positions are better, and their OL isn't the far off. Defensively, they know their scheme and health is the only factor. The move to Schonert might allow them to take more chances downfield, and the fact that he has a superb rapport with Trent Edwards, by most accounts, shouldn't be underrated.

Comment

Maybe someone is worried about their job?

Honestly, I love the way the have built their Oline even though I think the Woody signing was irresponsible.

Now the question is since you've built an above average offensive line do you plug in your mediocre back (Thomas Jones) and watch him become above average or do you plug in an above average back (Darren McFadden) and watch him become a star?

Comment

I'd say the answer is that you draft a young RB and work both of them together to protect your QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                              Maybe someone is worried about their job?

Honestly, I love the way the have built their Oline even though I think the Woody signing was irresponsible.

Now the question is since you've built an above average offensive line do you plug in your mediocre back (Thomas Jones) and watch him become above average or do you plug in an above average back (Darren McFadden) and watch him become a star?
                              I think it depends upon the options available at the 6th pick. If McFadden is there and no one offers good value for the pick, I fully expect mcfadden to be taken. If chatman shows his ability to stay in shape and produce, it could make TJ become expendable. A platoon of mcfadden, leon and chatman would cover most of the bases.

I think it also brings up the point of how highly the FO thinks of mcfadden and if they think he's the elite back everyone else does. It will definately be an interesting draft.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information