No announcement yet.

Broncos aquire Dre Bly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if the pick is on the 1st day, seems like a lot to get bly. but if its like a 6th, it seems good for both teams

credit to cardsalltheway

Comment

Originally posted by BehrenMan007 View Post
      if the pick is on the 1st day, seems like a lot to get bly. but if its like a 6th, it seems good for both teams
      The pick is a 5th round pick.
      Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

Taking Thomas would have been expensive for our O-line with Woody's high salary, Backus's big contract and Thomas with number 2 money. It's still possible but our O-line would be making a ton of money and one person would be out of position at guard. Possibly Thomas, then Thomas eventually moving over to LT once Backus is gone.

That being said we still neeed a LG badly. If we take Thomas, we will have a very expensive Left Guard in either Backus or Thomas. Personally, I could see us taking a left guard in Round 2 or Round 3 and I think are line will be in much better shape than last year if they stay healthy.

Backus,Grubbs(if we're lucky),Raiola,Woody,Foster looks a whole lot better than last years

Backus,Verba/DeMulling/another overpaid FA,Raiola,Woody(onIR),Tucker/Scott

Comment

I think that the trade works out for both sides.. Denver gets a cornerback opposite Champ, and Lions get depth at the rb and o-line and fills some needs headed into the offseason.

Comment

the trade is perfect for both teams, the lions got OL depth and a possible starter at RT who didnt fit the zone blocking scheme, but could fit the lions scheme. same with tatum bell, he fit the zone blocking scheme to some extent but the lions didnt trade for bell to be the starter, they want him to be the backup RB behind jones and be a replacement if jones isnt healthy in time, plus they got a 5th rounder. Now the broncos fill a need at the CB position and have one of the top secondarys in the league. Bly is a perfect fit for denver and will get at least 6 ints this season, mark my words. Not being the #1 corner will help him too, hes a perfect compliment to champ bailey.

Comment

Good trade on both sides, it seems. Positives and negatives on both sides kinda cancel out.

by BoneKrusher
              <DG> how metal unseen
              <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

i'm honestly in shock at how many people think detroit got great players. i think they made a great deal getting rid of a guy who didn't want to be there and didn't have a place there, but then, tatum bell has been FAR uglier than his stats would lead you to believe and foster is a back-up linemen for a team that regularly takes 7th round and undrafted players and turns them into a top unit. they may fit better in detroit, but it's utterly ridiculous for ANYONE to believe they've been quality players at any point in their respective careers.

that said, anyone who calls this a top CB tandem because we added dre bly is, imo, a bit misguided right now.

to call this anything other than a trade of convenience for both teams (getting rid of driftwood that would've been cut otherwise) is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9 View Post
                  i'm honestly in shock at how many people think detroit got great players. i think they made a great deal getting rid of a guy who didn't want to be there and didn't have a place there, but then, tatum bell has been FAR uglier than his stats would lead you to believe and foster is a back-up linemen for a team that regularly takes 7th round and undrafted players and turns them into a top unit. they may fit better in detroit, but it's utterly ridiculous for ANYONE to believe they've been quality players at any point in their respective careers.

that said, anyone who calls this a top CB tandem because we added dre bly is, imo, a bit misguided right now.

to call this anything other than a trade of convenience for both teams (getting rid of driftwood that would've been cut otherwise) is silly.
                  Pretty much. This trade is simply a case of one man's trash being another man's treasure for both sides. Both teams should be happy that they got anything for the players they gave up, because, as you said, they weren't really worth anything anyways.

Comment

exactly. i'm a bit more annoyed with it now that we've given up a 5th as well, but to get anything for bell/foster is a good thing, imo. i know (from this thread) that lions fans feel the same way about bly.

Comment

Good trades on both parts in my opinion

Comment

I could most definately see Denver trading up for Lynch now much like they did for Cutler.

BoneKrusher

Comment

one can only hope. i only see it happening if snyder decides to pick up when shanahan calls him, or lynch's times result in him dropping to 15 or so.

Comment

their secondary is one of the tops in the league, along with their LB's, if only their Dline didnt suck so bad.if they traded up for Lynch they would be unstoppable

P.S. they are now the best madden team

Comment

Originally posted by njx9 View Post

I couldn't disagree more.

Can you honestly tell me that George Foster isn't an upgrade over what the Lions currently have at RT? No... you cannot. As much as you may think that Foster is a "back-up linemen" (although he started 45 of a possible 48 games for the Broncos over the last three years... on an offensive line that is known to turn any player into a 1,000+ yard back), Foster is a definate upgrade and will improve the unit GREATLY. That gives the Lions a potential line of Backus-[---]-Raiola-Woody-Foster, which is a solid line... and much improved from last year, when the Lions' offense actually performed well (with names such as Frank Davis, Jon Scott, Stephen Peterman and Rick DeMulling *starting* games for the Lions).

This also changes their focus for the draft. Now that they've filled one hole, they can focus on improving other areas.

Now, onto Bell. With KJones out, Bell was the PERFECT pick-up for the Lions. They could've spent a draft pick on a young back (which would leave them two young, unproven backs), or gotten rid of one of the last "trash" pieces of the old Lions to improve two areas of need. Bell will thrive in Martz' offense... and will give the Lions a powerful 1-2 punch when Jones is healthy.

Bly. When he plays in a system that fits his talents, he is a playmaker. You MIGHT have forgotten his previous seasons... but he had great numbers and deserved his spots in those Pro Bowls. Paired with Bailey, they will form a great CB duo... you won't want to throw to one but will get picked throwing to the other.

You can pretend that this trade was simply a "convenicence", but you will be proven wrong. The Broncos secondary will be much improved with Bly and the Lions offense will be much improved with Bell/Foster.
                              Last edited by TacticaLion; 03-01-2007, 07:00 PM.
                              Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

ok i get it, i hear foster isnt that good, but trust me, even if he ends up a backup, hes better than any olineman backups we got. including the now cut ross verba. i personally hope he just is a backup with depth and jonathan scott is the starter. this just helps us not have to draft another rookie OLman

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information