Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's speed rushers need to learn from the past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Today's speed rushers need to learn from the past

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...eff&id=3290984


    Originally Posted by scottyboy
    my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
    But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

  • #2
    I have said a million times, I would always take a "football" guy over a freak athlete any day of the year.

    Comment


    • #3
      I do agree it is becoming a lost art but there are still a few old-school type of pass rushers out there such as Strahan, Umenyiora, Kerney, Allen, etc. Chris Long will also be another one while his counterpart Gholston is part of the new breed NFL traditionalists would preferrably not like to see.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's a little strange as a story, first they say the true pass-rushers are gone, the skill is out of the position, then they say it's got everything to do with the way offenses work these days...

        Essentially you could say it's the fault of the college level, but I believe it's to be credited to the offensive coördinators, who have found a way to make the pass-rush less of a factor.

        Sig by Fenikz

        I remember NFLDC
        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Addict View Post
          It's a little strange as a story, first they say the true pass-rushers are gone, the skill is out of the position, then they say it's got everything to do with the way offenses work these days...

          Essentially you could say it's the fault of the college level, but I believe it's to be credited to the offensive coördinators, who have found a way to make the pass-rush less of a factor.
          I think it is both. A lot of college's now want that speed type pass rusher, and OL just cant handle it. A top edge speed rusher may face 1 or 2 top flight OL in a year, and not be able to get by them. But in the other 10 games they are playing a bunch of slack jobs who wont ever play football again. You see my point? They dont emphasize "teaching", rather using athleticism to get by. Once you get to the NFL, the OL are just as athletic as the DE with just as good feet. Thus, the coaching job needs to be top flight, and they need to "teach" the players.

          But it is the case all along. I would have to say, that any football team I have seen, at any level, lineman recevie the LEAST amount of teaching of all position. There just isnt the emphasis on teaching them the tricks of the trade anymore.

          Comment


          • #6
            A lot of the moves Reggie White used would be a penalty. He would just push the lineman in the head until he fell down, then go get the QB.


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hawk View Post
              A lot of the moves Reggie White used would be a penalty. He would just push the lineman in the head until he fell down, then go get the QB.
              and we don't even need to get started on Deacon Jones...

              Sig by Fenikz

              I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Addict View Post
                and we don't even need to get started on Deacon Jones...
                I'm sure if it would have been legal, he would have axed his way to the QB...
                Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

                Rest in Peace, themaninblack

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 619 View Post
                  I do agree it is becoming a lost art but there are still a few old-school type of pass rushers out there such as Strahan, Umenyiora, Kerney, Allen, etc. Chris Long will also be another one while his counterpart Gholston is part of the new breed NFL traditionalists would preferrably not like to see.
                  Well Osi is because of Strahan. Strahan is the guy who taught Osi all that he knows. Both are really good friends with each other. I am sure both guys will pass their knowledge down to Tuck as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i loved this article and agree with it. too many times i see great talents at pass rusher rely too much on their athleticism to get by. names that come up to me are Peppers, and Ware for example.

                    Both those guys have amazing potential, and can be even better than they are if they just refined their craft. Ware is an absolute beast, but if he just worked on his craft the man can get 18 sacks easy.

                    I wouldn't say that its an entirely lost art however. Guys like Jared Allen, Osi, Tuck, Kampman, Van DenBosh, Merriman for example are a couple of young guys who use great technique. Im sure theres more but im forgetting them at the moment.

                    Id say Strahan and Jason Taylor are probably the 2 best technical pass rushers in the game. Its all about leverage. Thats why, contrary to popular believe, 6 7" or 6 8" is not the ideal height for a DE, 6 4" is.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X

                    Debug Information