Do the Jets have the best Oline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
    I think you're forgetting a few games. Indy, Philadelphia, and Baltimore come to mind. Also I think you're underrating your own team's line.
    Philly and Baltimore got their with blitzes. Its hard to fault the line entirely for that, when you have to factor in blitz pick up by the backs and TEs. Youre right about Indy, they got there with 4 guys. The Giants did as well, we only blitzed 30% of the time in the SB.

Still, 2 bad games is pretty impressive.

As for the Giants, I think we have a top 5 run blocking line for sure. Pass protection leaves some to be desired. We have trouble with speed rushers off the edge. Eli also makes our pass protection look a lot better than it is. He adjusts all the protections, and he has great pocket presence. Thats why it takes him so long to snap the ball, he almost runs a no huddle with a huddle. Sometimes its too much, and we can't snap it in time.

Comment

Bentley's pretty much never gonna play a down for the Browns, or at least that's what I hear. They say if LCB does play again, it will be in another city, but that's just what I heard. Either way Browns fans are (or at least should be) going on like Bentley's not gonna play for us this year. Even without him we have an incredible line that is insanely deep. Other than maybe Minnesota I don't think there is a better left side than Thomas/Steinbach. Joe Thomas is gonna make the pro bowl every year for the next ten years if he can help it.

But when talking about comparing O-Lines using stats, you get into a real fallacy b/c things like play calling and the QB can really ruin a good O-Line's sacks given up total. Just look at Charlie Frye last year or David Carr his entire career (his line wasn't good, but it wasn't as bad as he made it look either); or look at the Lions last year, they passed to the point that too much pressure was put on the line to protect against the blitz. And remember Oakland in 2007 with their dinosaur offense that made their mediocre line look like it was a bunch of high schoolers?

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
        Bentley's pretty much never gonna play a down for the Browns, or at least that's what I hear. They say if LCB does play again, it will be in another city, but that's just what I heard. Either way Browns fans are (or at least should be) going on like Bentley's not gonna play for us this year. Even without him we have an incredible line that is insanely deep. Other than maybe Minnesota I don't think there is a better left side than Thomas/Steinbach. Joe Thomas is gonna make the pro bowl every year for the next ten years if he can help it.

But when talking about comparing O-Lines using stats, you get into a real fallacy b/c things like play calling and the QB can really ruin a good O-Line's sacks given up total. Just look at Charlie Frye last year or David Carr his entire career (his line wasn't good, but it wasn't as bad as he made it look either); or look at the Lions last year, they passed to the point that too much pressure was put on the line to protect against the blitz. And remember Oakland in 2007 with their dinosaur offense that made their mediocre line look like it was a bunch of high schoolers?
        Browns season opener last year......Charlie Frye was sacked 5 times in the first 17 minutes of the game. One was credited to Joe THomas (which wasnt his fault). The rest of the season after Anderson took over in week 2, the Browns gave up 7 sacks and Joe Thomas never gave up another one....

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
          And they only have one player at the age of 30 or higher, how many teams could you say the same, and still be a top o-line in the league.
          The Colts, the Chargers, and the Giants come to mind.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Philly and Baltimore got their with blitzes. Its hard to fault the line entirely for that, when you have to factor in blitz pick up by the backs and TEs. Youre right about Indy, they got there with 4 guys. The Giants did as well, we only blitzed 30% of the time in the SB.
            I can see that I guess, however I'm sure the Eagles and Ravens weren't the only teams to blitz that line, and they stayed solid in most every other game (the Dallas game and the first Giants game Brady got pressured/hit a few times too, but less so then the aforementioned 4 games). I think the thing that behooved the Ravens and Eagles is that they were able to more successfully leave their CBs on an island than most teams and therefore could bring more pressure without necessarily sacrificing a great deal in coverage. One of the things the Patriots offense has been great at over the years is taking pressure off Brady through scheme with screen and drags (and now they have the master of the drag route in Wes Welker to help with that), but those two teams were able to neutralize some of that for a while, as well as get pressure when they tried to throw deep.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by DawgBone View Post
              That is far from the truth. Joe Thomas is better than both teams LT's and Eric Steinbach is at least even or not far behind the LG's of the respective teams.

Your only arguement is exsperience, but after the first game of the season the Browns entire OL only gave up 7 sacks. thats less than .5 per game.
              Statistically, your argument doesn't hold up.

On paper, sure...Thomas/Steinbach have the "name" value...but NE and INDY had better years from that side of the line.

Comment

Absolutely not.

D'Brick still has to prove himself and we still have a complete JAG at RG.

Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Moore-Woody

Has amazing potential but not quite elite.

Comment

until we see what happens next year, i have to say that NE has the be best. they gave tom brady all day to throw for almost a full year.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

I will say that Mangold is one of the better centers in the league though
                    Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                    oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

I hope the Jets have a top 10, that would be great. I am sick of having a horrible OL. Last time we had a dominant unit that was 2004. That OL was sick.

LT-Fabini LG-Kendall C-Mawae RG-Moore RT-McKenzie

It had Curtis Martin running for his career high and lead the league in yards. But then we let McKenzie go, then Fabini got old and stunk, Mawae got older and injured then left. And we went downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry121283 View Post
                        Statistically, your argument doesn't hold up.

On paper, sure...Thomas/Steinbach have the "name" value...but NE and INDY had better years from that side of the line.
                        You know I just typed two paragraphs about how statistics for O-Lines can be extremely deceiving. Light is no Thomas, and Steinbach isn't any worse than Mankins. New England has a sick line no doubt, but a lot of that is scheme and Tom Brady's release too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Still, 2 bad games is pretty impressive.

As for the Giants, I think we have a top 5 run blocking line for sure. Pass protection leaves some to be desired. We have trouble with speed rushers off the edge. Eli also makes our pass protection look a lot better than it is. He adjusts all the protections, and he has great pocket presence. Thats why it takes him so long to snap the ball, he almost runs a no huddle with a huddle. Sometimes its too much, and we can't snap it in time.
                          I'd toss our name there. Really since 2004 our o-line has gotten better and better, not to mention we are deep AND versatile. But I do agree speed guys can get the best of David D. David D got his jock handed to him in the superbowl. Everytime I looked he was getting his butt shoved back or just beat by Thomas.

If I had to change something I would get a LT and move David D back or draft a better LG than Rich S. and this can help us when we run 38 power.

Comment

They just signed Franks. Is he a good blocker?
                            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

This topic is funny. The Jets have the 3rd best line in their division. And the 4th is Miami who currently has 6 OL players on their entire roster. Their projected starting o-line right now:

Julius Wilson > Justin Smiley > Samson Satele > Ikechuku Ndukwe > Vernon Carey

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                                This topic is funny. The Jets have the 3rd best line in their division. And the 4th is Miami who currently has 6 OL players on their entire roster. Their projected starting o-line right now:

Julius Wilson > Justin Smiley > Samson Satele > Ikechuku Ndukwe > Vernon Carey
                                Its not funny, its debatable, the Bills OL isn't that great. Jets potentially can be better, I say the Pats have the best OL in the division still. They played great besides the SB.
                                Bills all they have really is Peters, everyone else is average. Jets have 2 above average/stud O-linemen right now in Faneca and Mangold. And Brick has the potential to be a stud O-linemen/ above average player.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information