Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Patriots suffer for Belichick's hubris?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the Super Bowl, I'm willing to bet Brady would like some O-line help. They're sitting fine at #7, where they could address either OL, LB or CB. Or even trade down. They have some age issues, and their O wont be nearly as dominant as it was last year(i mean really, can they possibly match THOSE kind of numbers?). they aren't in "excellent shape" for the future, but they're no mediocre team.
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
      2. They have the best offense of all time, and it is basically in tact from last year, minus Donte Stallworth. They will put up points, and a lot of them each game.
      So you're saying your team has become that which your kind has whined, moaned, and complained about forever: the 2003-04 Colts?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
      <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Well it has always worked out for Bellicheck so far but eventually you would have to imagine he would need to get some quality young LBs. Since Bellicheck has been the coach of the Patriots he has not drafted a LB higher than the 163rd overall pick(Hakim Akbar). CB on the other hand has not been drafted higher than the 84th overall pick(Ellis Hobbs).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/nwe.htm

The past would seem to indicate he won't consider either position very early in the draft. However I would still be surprised if that didn't change this Draft and he doesn't at least grab a LB in the late 2nd to 3rd round.
        Last edited by Crazy_Chris; 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I'd argue that Eugene Wilson at 36 is the highest he's drafted a corner. Yes Wilson ended up playing safety but he came out of college as a corner and I think they planned on using him at corner when they drafted him. It was only when they tried him out at FS and realized he was pretty good that they made the switch.

Comment

I really liked Kareem Brown, I hope he succeeds in NY.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
              So you're saying your team has become that which your kind has whined, moaned, and complained about forever: the 2003-04 Colts?
              If thats how you want to look at it then fine. NE will still be solid up front, and they should still have a decent secondary. As stated above, they dont highyl skilled guys playing CB, because they don't leave them on island's alot. With that said, they have signed a bunch of journeymen, who could work out.

Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
              Well it has always worked out for Bellicheck so far but eventually you would have to imagine he would need to get some quality young LBs. Since Bellicheck has been the coach of the Patriots he has not drafted a LB higher than the 163rd overall pick(Hakim Akbar). CB on the other hand has not been drafted higher than the 84th overall pick(Ellis Hobbs).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/nwe.htm

The past would seem to indicate he won't consider either position very early in the draft. However I would still be surprised if that didn't change this Draft and he doesn't at least grab a LB in the late 2nd to 3rd round.
              Exactly why we won't go with Keith Rivers in the 1st. The more I think about it, the more I see this pick going the way of OL, DL/OLB.

Comment

I always think of Humus when someone mentions the word Hubris. Then I get hungry, so screw you Geo.

Also, I won't comment in this thread about the Pats because as a Giants fan, I feel that all talking should be done on the field. =D

Originally posted by Halsey
                I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

i wish i knew what a hubris was...

Comment

Attention: your post has been moderated due to:

Originally posted by njx9
                    further posts about this garbage will be moderated.
                    Last edited by njx9; 03-23-2008, 10:52 PM.

Comment

1. New England drafts two corners in Round 2 and Round 4, as indicated they would.

2. '08 Patriots' passing defense gives up 27 TDs, worst in the league except for Arizona (36). A poor secondary pretty much delivers as expected, ultimately keeping them from the playoffs. That and injuries to many of the defensive players, most of which are older guys as Belichick prefers.

3. To be fair to Belichick, he got the team as a whole to 11 wins. Just came shy of going back to the playoffs. Although that was mainly thanks to the offense, with Cassel filling in for Brady in and having a lot of talent around him.

And credit to Belichick for playing more youngsters this season than he ever has. The rookie corners didn't show much, but the rest did look promising. Mayo looks great, Guyton was a great pick-up in UDFA, and Meriweather is looking better than I thought he would.

The next Draft is coming, and people are starting to mock a first round cornerback to the Patriots again. Some people never learn, I suppose. Apparently Belichick is now going to start valuing corners in the first round? We'll see.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        1. New England drafts two corners in Round 2 and Round 4, as indicated they would.

2. '08 Patriots' passing defense gives up 27 TDs, worst in the league except for Arizona (36). A poor secondary pretty much delivers as expected, ultimately keeping them from the playoffs. That and injuries to many of the defensive players, most of which are older guys as Belichick prefers.

3. To be fair to Belichick, he got the team as a whole to 11 wins. Just came shy of going back to the playoffs. Although that was mainly thanks to the offense, with Cassel filling in for Brady in and having a lot of talent around him.

And credit to Belichick for playing more youngsters this season than he ever has. The rookie corners didn't show much, but the rest did look promising. Mayo looks great, Guyton was a great pick-up in UDFA, and Meriweather is looking better than I thought he would.

The next Draft is coming, and people are starting to mock a first round cornerback to the Patriots again. Apparently Belichick is now going to start valuing corners in the first round? I don't buy it.
                        People said the same thing about him drafting LBS in the first round. Before Mayo the highest he drafted a LB was the 5th round.
                        "The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique

Comment

Originally posted by illmatic74 View Post
                          People said the same thing about him drafting LBS in the first round. Before Mayo the highest he drafted a LB was the 5th round.
                          Becuase he had older guys that werent leaving yet or washed up. But he wil have to do it soon. Besides Mayo none that actually contribute are under 32. Bruschi and Vrable look so slow and washed up. Thomas is past his prime(may have a year or 2 left)

Guyton and Mayo(who is only legit LB now on that team) and who ever the else = not so good.

They may not draft 1st round but it is an immediate need.
                          But it does help having that front three which allows them to plug i alot of different players at LB
                          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post

The next Draft is coming, and people are starting to mock a first round cornerback to the Patriots again. Some people never learn, I suppose. Apparently Belichick is now going to start valuing corners in the first round? We'll see.
                            as i eluded to in my original post in this thread, I don't think the secondary is as big of an issue as its made out to be. is it poor? of course, but thats not the main reason why their pass defense is so bad.

their pass defense is so bad bc they have ZERO pass rushers. their pass rush is terrible. i felt thats what they needed to address the most, but they surprised me and took an ILB instead.

granted, Mayo was a great pick, but it wasn't their biggest need. their biggest need is still a pass rusher, and I think they still need to address that before they address CB.

Merriweather is starting to grow into a solid SS, Sanders is a solid FS, they can address CB in round 2. I think they have to address OLB right away. They have a very good front 3, and their ILBs are starting to look better, but they are lacking talent on the edges. I think if you introduce some quality rushbackers to that defense, their pass D will improve at a much faster pace than adding a CB to the mix.

Comment

The 08 Patriots are 14th in the league in sacks, with 31.

(Even better than the Colts, lol.)

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                                granted, Mayo was a great pick, but it wasn't their biggest need. their biggest need is still a pass rusher, and I think they still need to address that before they address CB.
                                That's been my thought for them in the first round this year. A young, potent pass rusher opposite Adalius Thomas, as Vrabel might not have more than one year or two years left.

I'd hate to see George Selvie go to the Pats, only because I really like him and whoever picks him up to be a 3-4 OLB is getting a stud. Clint Sintim also looks like a prime candidate.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information