X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clements to Browns?

John Taylor
    Scout.com

It’s a foregone conclusion that Nate Clements will become a very, very rich young man in the next 72 hours.

Also, it’s widely assumed that the Browns will be at or near the front of the Clements’ line starting at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

And, according to sources on both sides of the equation, both parties are willing to do whatever it takes to turn that assumption into a reality.

A source close to Clements tells The OBR that Cleveland is “far and away” the destination preferred by the sixth-year corner.

“If the money’s right, and close to anything anybody else offers, he’ll be coming home,” the source said of the Shaker Heights native.

For their part, a Browns source says that Clements is “the (LeCharles) Bentley of our 2007 free-agent class.” In other words, he has become the club’s top target once the bell tolls on free agency.
    Of course, the two sides are forbidden by NFL rules (wink wink, nudge nudge) from speaking before the start of free agency, but that hasn’t stopped feelers from being put out and league insiders to get a feel for the direction the Clements recruiting will take.

One NFL front office source tells The OBR that he will be “utterly amazed” if the Browns don’t break the bank for Clements. “They know (Gary) Baxter won’t be back. And how good would (Leigh) Bodden look with Clements on the other side of the field? You’d take a very good player (Bodden) and turn him into a Pro Bowl-level type talent.”

“Everyone around the league is waiting for the Browns to set the bar (on Clements’ contract).”

If indeed the Browns do make a run at Clements—which is as close to an absolute certainty as you can get—they could find the Tennessee Titans standing in the way of a signing. Word around the league is that the Titans are seriously considering making a run at the ex-Ohio State corner.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

This would be huge for the Browns, in my opinion. It would give them one of the top cornerback tandems in the NFL. Hopefully, Clements goes home and that franchise gets something to look forward to. Absolutely great fans that deserve a winner.

He's a fool if he goes there. He'll probably end up just like LeCharles... having a career that could possibly be over.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
      He's a fool if he goes there. He'll probably end up just like LeCharles... having a career that could possibly be over.

Or like Gary Baxter.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Eh, it's his hometown team. He grew up in Ohio, went to Ohio State, and probably loved the Browns. I would be incredibly happy to see Clements land in that type of situation, but maybe I am the only one.

Comment

He'll go to a winner.
          Originally posted by Paul
          Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
          Originally posted by Vikes99ej
          These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
            He'll go to a winner.
            Money talks. He'll go to whoever offers him the most dough.

Comment

Clements will be grossly overpaid. I would be worried he reverts to his '05 complacency, where he wasn't good at all. He bounced back in '06, in a contract year, that always concerns me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstruck View Post
                Eh, it's his hometown team. He grew up in Ohio, went to Ohio State, and probably loved the Browns.
                LeCharles Bentley #2?

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                  Clements will be grossly overpaid. I would be worried he reverts to his '05 complacency, where he wasn't good at all. He bounced back in '06, in a contract year, that always concerns me.
                  I'm worried about the same thing too. I don't think he's as good as people give him credit for especially since most players overperform in a contract year in order to get those extra dollars.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                  WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                    2005 was a contract year also, he was franchised last year.

Comment

Apparently he was on a Houston related talk show and said that he'd love to play in Houston as well as long as the money was right, but what FA doesnt say that??? I also heard that he lives in the Houston area in the offseason and is building a home there.....anyone think hes got a chance to be a Texan?

Comment

Originally posted by Vikings4ever View Post
                        2005 was a contract year also, he was franchised last year.
                        Yes it was technically a 'contract year,' but he knew he was going to be franchised. In '06, he knew that the team couldn't franchise him, thus it was time for him to make the big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunta_23 View Post
                          Apparently he was on a Houston related talk show and said that he'd love to play in Houston as well as long as the money was right, but what FA doesnt say that??? I also heard that he lives in the Houston area in the offseason and is building a home there.....anyone think hes got a chance to be a Texan?
                          If they pay him Champ Bailey money, sure. Actually, if I am Houston, having two talented cover corners is probably the best chance to contain the Colts.

Comment

I can hope not. I like seeing the Browns at the bottom of the league every year.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                              He'll go to a winner.
                              ya really? who the hell would wanna go to the browns? they r going nowhere- even if they have money to pour @ him i dont see him going there

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information