Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lofa Tatupu signs a 6 year extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3305560

    6 years-40 million-16 million in guarantees.

    Clayton (for those that don't want to read it), said that he "knew he could have demanded more money", which I don't agree with at all. It's a fine deal for the Seahawks, but he still had 2 full years left on his rookie contract, and is now making more than Lance Briggs (6 years-36 million), who was on the open market. Linebackers that don't get sacks aren't worth as much in today's market.

    The fact that Lofa isn't even the highest paid LB on his team make sme think he could have demanded a lot more money, and Ruskell would have given it to him. He's making less money than a guy that signed his contract 2 years ago (Julian Peterson.)
    "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
      They aren't financially worth much, I'm not talking about on the field value. The #'s back that up. Calvin Pace got more money this year than Lance Briggs, why do you think that is?
      ManGenius has lost his fricken mind?

      Magical sig by OSUGiants

      SSAEL....... its a new revolution!


      Originally posted by Job
      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

      So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

      Comment


      • #18
        IMO he is worth more money. But what a steal for the seahawks. Great move.

        Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

        WHO DAT

        Comment


        • #19
          I wish the Falcons could hurry up and sign Boley. I am getting scared.

          "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

          Comment


          • #20
            Merriman is going to get an insane deal in a couple years. The Chargers will have to re-sign him, McNeil, Rivers, Cromartie, Castillo and Jackson among others so I think they might have to tag him if he's asking for too much.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
              wow thank god we got Nick Barnett locked up last year. I wonder how much it will take to resign AJ Hawk now, oh no.
              Hawk's already making $37.5 and we have him under contract for 4 more years. It's not like this signing affects us in anyway what so ever.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3305560

                6 years-40 million-16 million in guarantees.

                Clayton (for those that don't want to read it), said that he "knew he could have demanded more money", which I don't agree with at all. It's a fine deal for the Seahawks, but he still had 2 full years left on his rookie contract, and is now making more than Lance Briggs (6 years-36 million), who was on the open market. Linebackers that don't get sacks aren't worth as much in today's market.
                Not sure he's making more than Briggs, considering it being an extension and the last two years of his rookie contract remain - although surely money was moved around, namely him receiving right now new money from this extension. Let's say the total is 8 years, 41.5M .. that's less than Briggs on a per average level. Which is fitting.

                Either way, good deal for the Seahawks. And for Tatupu, who I am a big big fan of. Ever since 2005, when I was in favor of him being ROTY over Merriman. He's been a big addition to the Seahawks defense, as the starting MLB since day one and as a leader, though he doesn't get the pub thanks to playing in Seattle. He's started for three years, proved himself, and the Seahawks wisely rewarded him.
                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  Not sure he's making more than Briggs, considering it being an extension and the last two years of his rookie contract remain - although surely money was moved around, namely him receiving right now new money from this extension. Let's say the total is 8 years, 41.5M .. that's less than Briggs on a per average level. Which is fitting.

                  Either way, good deal for the Seahawks. And for Tatupu, who I am a big big fan of. Ever since 2005, when I was in favor of him being ROTY over Merriman. He's been a big addition to the Seahawks defense, as the starting MLB since day one and as a leader, though he doesn't get the pub thanks to playing in Seattle. He's started for three years, proved himself, and the Seahawks wisely rewarded him.
                  Are you kidding me?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Um, no? :p

                    Playing in Seattle hurts him and almost every other player, except for maybe a few you can count with one hand (ex. Hasselbeck, Alexander). They're almost non-existant in terms of recognition, the Seahawks might have the best starting linebacker core in the league and who on Earth would know it.

                    Because they play for a team way out there in the midwest who don't really do anything of incredible merit to overcome that, and to be fair, the Seahawks were frauds last year - I hope I am remembering this right, but they didn't beat a team with a winning record since Arizona in Week 2 until the playoff win against the Redskins. And despite getting two gift Ryan Grant fumbles turned into an early two touchdown lead, the Packers smoked them in the playoffs.

                    You don't think this is true, GB?
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Well they don't get mentioned a lot in articles and tv shows, but if we're talking popularity Lofa's made 3 Pro Bowls already and Peterson's there almost every year. If anything you could say a team like Green Bay has been getting a low amount of attention. Nick Barnett arguably should've made te Pro Bowl over Tatupu each year, but he hasn't.
                      I remember: Sean Taylor

                      Bosanac01

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                        Unfortunately for them they are still not the best team in the division much less the NFL. San Diego has actually been able to draft their talent and therefore is paying less for players that are better.
                        I'm sorry, what do you call Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Tommy Kelly, Ronald Curry, Jerry Porter, Zach Miller, Nnamdi Asomugha and Justin Fargas?


                        It is ridiculous to say that a team needs to use only the draft for their players. Even the Patriots make outside moves. (Harrison, Colvin, Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, Seau, A. Thomas, Vrabel, etc.) Those are 9 key players right there, including their top 4 WRs and 4 of their top 5 LBs.

                        Oldie but a goodie.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Geo View Post
                          Not sure he's making more than Briggs, considering it being an extension and the last two years of his rookie contract remain - although surely money was moved around, namely him receiving right now new money from this extension. Let's say the total is 8 years, 41.5M .. that's less than Briggs on a per average level. Which is fitting.
                          What are you talking about? He would have been under contract for the next two years either way, thus when talking about the deal, you're talking about what's added on to it. The Seahawks just purchased his services for an additional 6 years at 41 million overall and 16 million guaranteed. That's more than the Bears paid for Briggs for the next 6 years. The fact that the Hawks actually had Lofa by the nuts for the next two years should have actually decreased his overall gain, not lessened it. There's no other way of looking at it.


                          Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                            What are you talking about? He would have been under contract for the next two years either way, thus when talking about the deal, you're talking about what's added on to it. The Seahawks just purchased his services for an additional 6 years at 41 million overall and 16 million guaranteed. That's more than the Bears paid for Briggs for the next 6 years. The fact that the Hawks actually had Lofa by the nuts for the next two years should have actually decreased his overall gain, not lessened it. There's no other way of looking at it.

                            Yeah, thats how the 49ers had Frank Gore. They were able to lock him in at 5 mil per year, which was under his market value, due to controlling his rights for 2 more years.
                            Last edited by MasterShake; 03-22-2008, 05:53 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by defensiveback23 View Post
                              Merriman is going to get an insane deal in a couple years. The Chargers will have to re-sign him, McNeil, Rivers, Cromartie, Castillo and Jackson among others so I think they might have to tag him if he's asking for too much.
                              Same goes for Ware in Dallas, but regardless of the market I dont think certain guys will be let go...Id like to think the Chargers will pay up for Merriman as im sure Dallas will do with Ware pretty soon.


                              Certain guys I think teams will find a way to pony up the cash for.





                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                                What are you talking about? He would have been under contract for the next two years either way, thus when talking about the deal, you're talking about what's added on to it. The Seahawks just purchased his services for an additional 6 years at 41 million overall and 16 million guaranteed. That's more than the Bears paid for Briggs for the next 6 years. The fact that the Hawks actually had Lofa by the nuts for the next two years should have actually decreased his overall gain, not lessened it. There's no other way of looking at it.
                                I'm talking about dollars and ... well, many more dollars rather than cents. Tatupu is signed through 2015, at 42M plus the remainder of his rookie contract - which probably puts the total around 43.5M.

                                43.5/8 < 36/6.
                                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information