Interior Vs. Exterior Pass Rush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
    They do it with Jamaal Anderson on occasion, but that's just beause he is fat and slow.
    he needs to get down to a lean 265/70, and he can salvage his career. he's good against the run, but he needs a good mentor to get his potential out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      he needs to get down to a lean 265/70, and he can salvage his career. he's good against the run, but he needs a good mentor to get his potential out of him.
      I've almost given up on him. 0 (as in the number below 1) sacks in 21 career games. He got pressure twice yesterday and, watching, it kind of felt like seeing an infant speek his first words.
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

I've almost given up on him. 0 (as in the number below 1) sacks in 21 career games. He got pressure twice yesterday and, watching, it kind of felt like seeing an infant speek his first words.
        you couldve had Patrick Willis instead. ouch.

but you can't knock the selection at the time. i think he still has potential, but he needs a great coach to get it out of him. the raw talent is there.

we'll trade you a 4th for him :)

Comment

you couldve had Patrick Willis instead. ouch.

but you can't knock the selection at the time. i think he still has potential, but he needs a great coach to get it out of him. the raw talent is there.

we'll trade you a 4th for him :)
          At the time we didn't seem to really be considering Willis. Not sure why in hindsite lol.

Seemed like it was Amobi Okoye or Jamaal Anderson. Before the draft, I was banking on us just missing out on the top talent in Adrian Peterson and LaRon Landry and we did. I wanted to trade up badly. I was mad when the Redskins passed on DL for Landry (unexpected) and AP was taken by a team who had Chester Taylor coming off of a 1,200 yard rushing season in his first season with the team (Best player available, could have taken Anderson).

I was mad at that point. We got lucky in round two getting Chris Houston and Justin Blalock though, two players I really liked.
          Virginia Tech.

Comment

At the time we didn't seem to really be considering Willis. Not sure why in hindsite lol.

Seemed like it was Amobi Okoye or Jamaal Anderson. Before the draft, I was banking on us just missing out on the top talent in Adrian Peterson and LaRon Landry and we did. I wanted to trade up badly. I was mad when the Redskins passed on DL for Landry (unexpected) and AP was taken by a team who had Chester Taylor coming off of a 1,200 yard rushing season in his first season with the team (Best player available, could have taken Anderson).

I was mad at that point. We got lucky in round two getting Chris Houston and Justin Blalock though, two players I really liked.
            whats wrong with the guy though? is he just out of shape? is he suffering from Vernon Gholston syndrome and looks like he doesn't give a poop out there? lack of motor? lack of technique? what is it?

Comment

whats wrong with the guy though? is he just out of shape? is he suffering from Vernon Gholston syndrome and looks like he doesn't give a poop out there? lack of motor? lack of technique? what is it?
              I don't really know. He lacks pass rush moves, he lacks persuit speed, he isn't quick off the ball. It looks like he tries to just use his size and natural ability, but the speed just isn't there right now. He has been a huge disappointment, even though I wasn't a huge fan of the pick I expected more than this.
              Virginia Tech.

Comment

Exterior pass rush is more important but interior could have a major impact. Antone realize the amount of sacks Vanden Bosch has racked up playing with Haynesworth.
                "The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                  This argument is stupid. It is SO much easier to double team a DT then it is to double team a DE. When you want to double team a DE, it takes away from the other possibilites of the play (ie. you need a TE, or a RB, to be the other blocker on the DE, which means less possible recievers.) Where it is much easier to double team DT's on the inside. NFL scouts value elite LT's that can be left on an island and handle elite pass rushers so it gives them more flexibility with their offense. I guess you can argue thats part of a good DE's effect, but think about it logically.
                  If you had bothered to read my other posts on the subject, you'd have seen that this is exactly what I said. Interior OLmen outnumber the DT's 3 to 2 so double teaming them is much easier.
                  And proud of it!!!

Comment

I said good, not great. There were 31 players with at least 7 sacks last season, 23 of them were defensive ends. 4 of them were defensive tackles. Out of players with at least 8 sacks, 18 were defensive ends while 2 were defensive tackles. The trend gos on until the range hits like 3 sacks. I exaggerated, but the point still stands. There are more effective defensive ends than effective defensive tackles, so left tackle has a bigger priority.

If the league was full of players like Darnell Docket, Tommie Harris, Shaun Rodgers and Corey Williams at defensive tackle then guards would be a bigger priority.
                    DT's like Harris and Sapp play in a Cover 2 defense where the DT shoots the gap and has little responsibility for defending the run. Every Cover 2 team uses at least one DT in this manner but they also depend on a great pass rush from the outside to allow Harris the freedom to act.
                    The reason more DT's aren't effective rushing the passer has a lot more to do with schemes than with talent and when you add in the fact that interior OLmen outnumber the DT's 3 to 2, few HC's are prepared to use their DT's as their main pass rush.
                    As long as GM's know that they outnumber the DT's 3to 2 on the interior, they are never going to view the interior of the DL as a logical way to build your pass rush and they will rarely commit a very high draft pick to drafting OG's and OC's. Sure if a truly outstanding OG or OC happens to appear in the draft, teams drafting later in round 1 will occassionally draft one but certainly never in the top 10-15 picks.
                    Your own #'s prove beyond a shadow of a doubt which of the 2 areas provide the more efficient pass rush and the interior pass rush comes off a poor 2nd at best.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information