No announcement yet.

San Fransisco Penalized for Briggs Tampering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 49ers need to just start over again, and build their team with Patrick Willis as the focal point.

Id love to see a 4-3 defense put back in SF. Hire Ron Rivera and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
      The Bears could have been adversely affected by the Niners tampering with their player. It may have hurt their ability to resign him, and certainly didn't do our team any favors chemistry-wise. Not to mention that it's the value of a 6th rounder, big whoop.
      I don't really have a problem with the Bears getting something, but the only problem I'd have is that its hard to keep that penalty on par if it should happen again. For ex. what happens if its between two teams with draft picks very far apart, it won't be as easy to balance it out, so that it amounts to just a 6th rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
        I don't really have a problem with the Bears getting something, but the only problem I'd have is that its hard to keep that penalty on par if it should happen again. For ex. what happens if its between two teams with draft picks very far apart, it won't be as easy to balance it out, so that it amounts to just a 6th rounder.
        if theyre real far apart maybe you just switch the rounds they pick in.

maybe if the niners picked late in the 2nd round and the bears early in the 3rd, you swap them or something.

Comment

The Bears could have been adversely affected by the Niners tampering with their player. It may have hurt their ability to resign him, and certainly didn't do our team any favors chemistry-wise. Not to mention that it's the value of a 6th rounder, big whoop.
          My objection is that the NFL has now turned tampering into a good thing for one of the parties involved. Maybe the Bears had more troubles from the Niner's tampering, and maybe the NFL felt that compensation was neccesary, but in a time where the NFL is trying to make sure that no party benefits from this sort of behavior, they have suddenly made tampering good for the team that reports it.

I think that eradication by penalty and not reward is a much better course of action than what it appears the NFL has in mind.

Comment

Mike Nolan can't even tamper correctly. This guy is clueless.
            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

wait, shouldnt lance briggs be in trouble too for not reporting it immediatly or something?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                My objection is that the NFL has now turned tampering into a good thing for one of the parties involved. Maybe the Bears had more troubles from the Niner's tampering, and maybe the NFL felt that compensation was neccesary, but in a time where the NFL is trying to make sure that no party benefits from this sort of behavior, they have suddenly made tampering good for the team that reports it.

I think that eradication by penalty and not reward is a much better course of action than what it appears the NFL has in mind.
                But they are trying to discourage tampering. So by rewarding the team that reports it, and punishing the team that tampers, would that not serve to limit its occurance?

Shouldn't a team that reports it be compensated? You sound as if you think the Bears did something wrong in this situation.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                  wait, shouldnt lance briggs be in trouble too for not reporting it immediatly or something?
                  If Lance Briggs was a GM, yes. His agent could be in trouble, but it's unclear what role Rosenhaus had in this, and if they could prove it.

Comment

i just figured that Briggs/Rosenhaus should have to pay some sort of fine if they didnt tell what happened immediatly after the niners contacted briggs. but they might have reported it

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

But they are trying to discourage tampering. So by rewarding the team that reports it, and punishing the team that does not, would that not serve to limit its occurance?
                      More so than a situation that would punish the team that tampered and the player who allowed them to tamper? What's keeping teams from silently encouraging tampering now that they know it'll help them upgrade their draft position?

I've admired the NFL's effort to clean up so far because it didn't try to create a environment where teams were tattling on each other, it encouraged them to take responsibility for their players. I can totally get behind punishing the 49ers, but rewarding the Bears sends a message that is counter-intuitive to the sort of message the NFL has been sending until now.

There could be some extenuating circumstance where Briggs' involvement with San Francisco cost the Bears something, but on the surface I can't possibly see how this hurt them, and certainly not in a way that should involve them receiving draft picks.

Comment

But again, it's not hard at all to make the case that in most cases, a team whose players are tampered with is hurt by that. I would prefer that teams not try to negotiate contracts with our players and they can keep the 5 spots we move up in the 3rd round.

The Bears should "tattle" because what the Niners were doing was affecting their ability to negotiate with their own players without another team's interferance. That's the whole point of the rule. It worked out for us this time, but there are plenty of times where a player will not re-up with a team simply because he already knows that he's going to get x amount of dollars from another team.

The difference this time was that the Niners blatantly got caught and pulled back their interest in Briggs to try and save face.
                        Last edited by bearsfan_51; 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

But again, it's not hard at all to make the case that in most cases, a team whose players are tampered with is hurt by that. I would prefer that teams not try to negotiate contracts with our players and they can keep the 5 spots we move up in the 3rd round.
                          I'd say it would be very hard to establish that most cases of tampering hurt the team that the player currently belongs to, if only because most cases of tampering never amount to anything (just like it didn't amount to anything here). The worst case scenario with the Bears is that maybe Briggs got an idea of what his market value was before the market opened, but he must have fielded quite a few offers once that happened regardless.

I fail to see how San Francisco hurt Chicago in a way that would require repayment.

The Bears should "tattle" because what the Niners were doing was affecting their ability to negotiate with their own players without another team's interferance. That's the whole point of the rule. It worked out for us this time, but there are plenty of times where a player will not re-up with a team simply because he already knows that he's going to get x amount of dollars from another team.

The difference this time was that the Niners blatantly got caught and pulled back their interest in Briggs to try and save face.
                          So the Bears tattle, the Niners retract their interest to save face, and the Bears get compensated beyond retaining Briggs how exactly? Unless the Niners made it especially difficult for Chicago to talk contract numbers with Briggs (possible, but total speculation), giving them additional assets sends a different message than the NFL has previously put out.

I'll be honest. The idea of all these teams trying to out each other to Roger Goodell in return for draft picks sounds like a terrible way to do business.
                          Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 03-24-2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information