Redskins vs Giants Sept 4 season opener

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
    you really think you can split the Giants? holy ****, we're the reigning champs, and we still get like no respect.
    We've split with you 4 of the last 5 years, even under Spurrier.

I don't see how it's too wild of an assumption....

We beat you last year at home where Eli went for a stunning 18-53.

Comment

It's really not a sign of disrespect to think its possible to split a game against a division rival. The Giants are Super Bowl Champions, but they certainly weren't the "best team" even in their own division last year, for the majority of the year.

It's not "disrespect" for the OP to say I think its possible we split games with them. It's not like he came out and guaranteed it. In fact, he even probably said they'd lose the first time around.

Comment

no, we're not even close to "crying for respect" it's just that we've gotten absolutly NONE during the playoffs, leading up to the Super Bowl, or even after.

The Cowboys get more than we do, and last I checked, they haven't won a playoff game since the mid 90's. So i don't think it's being a contender, considering we've made the playoffs the past 3 years, and have been to 2 super bowls in the past 8
        I dont know what respect the Cowboys get around here, outside of Romo still being overrated who cant win a big game as people would say, Id venture to say thats pretty false, people hate the Cowboys on here just like the Pats so no, if anything its because we won the division last year...But in years like this your not going to get much respect right off the bat, Eli and the team was playing bad right up until the playoffs started, so its normal for people to want to see the entire team playing at a high level consistently to get that type of respect...But who cares about that anyway? Id rather get no respect and have the team fueled by that(isnt that what drove the team through the playoffs is not getting any respect), so I dont really understand why every Giants fan wants it now, Id rather my team not get ANY respect what so ever and everyone stays hungry like they were at the end of last year.

But until Eli shows he can be an elite for for more then a few games in a row, and the rest of the team follows suit, they wont get much respect, thats pretty much how it works for everyone though.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

wait, really? Wasn't Toomer supposed to drop off last year? Is our OL really only decent? They didn't prove enough last year with a "glaring hole at LT".

Our DL is weak against the run? WHAT!?!?! that's news to me. Tuck, and Strahan are EXCELLENT against the run, and that's the only good Robbins can do. Just ask Ryan Grant, I'm pretty sure he thinks we're good there Safety, OLB and CB were big concerns last year, but we did ok with that didn't we? lets also remember the Giants are UPGRADING our LB's by subtaction. Kiwi is back, he started last year remember, and Gerris is much more athletic than Mitchell was
          And strahan could retire. If he doesnt, i'll be fine with the line, but i really think he wants to go out on top. the oline is good. And maybe this Toomer's year. Just because people were wrong last year doesnt mean they cant be wrong again. All im saying is, the Giants arent as good as past super bowl winners. Theyre a great team, but they still dont strike fear into me and i feel the Redskins could beat them.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            But until Eli shows he can be an elite for for more then a few games in a row, and the rest of the team follows suit, they wont get much respect, thats pretty much how it works for everyone though.
            Same here. The secondary played great for 4 games, but the only guy in that secondary i think has upside is Ross.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
              Guys understand. People still think that the Pats lost. No one really notices that the Giants won. It sucks, but we just gotta beat them all again for our respect.
              That's awfully cute, but foolishly and laughably wrong. Give me a freaking break, the Giants won likely the best Super Bowl ever played, they went down the field and scored the winning TD with seconds remaining. No one is going to take that away from them, don't make stupid statements and "oh woe is the Giants" stuff up.

But just because the Giants won it all in 07 doesn't mean they are some lock to win it all in 08. They couldn't even win a home playoff game in 05 and 06, with pretty much the same roster. Dallas fades badly by the time the playoffs arrive, and Favre got to the point where the cold affected him last season which is why he retired. Playing the Patriots was the best possible Super Bowl match-up for the Giants last year, if it was the Colts and maybe the Chargers too they would have lost.

As for the season opener, it's a solid enough match-up I suppose. Better than the earlier season openers before the SB winner were hosts, and even then we had the Raiders @ the Patriots. I don't think the Redskins get back to the playoffs this year, but you'd think they would start the season strong ... except they've got new coaches in charge on both sides of the ball and usually it takes some time to adjust/gel.

Should be a fun game though, both teams notorious for flailing around when stricken with the injury bug should be very healthy. Division rivals hopefully make it a better game, although that wasn't the case last year with the MNF double-headers in CIN/BAL and ARI/SF. I'll watch it of course, it's the season opener and I like the Giants. Also like NFC East match-ups.
              Last edited by Geo; 03-26-2008, 07:01 PM.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
                We've split with you 4 of the last 5 years, even under Spurrier.

I don't see how it's too wild of an assumption....

We beat you last year at home where Eli went for a stunning 18-53.
                did you not see the wind, i remember you punted and it rolled all the way close to the 1. And it was still a close game.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  That's awfully cute, but foolishly and laughably wrong. Give me a freaking break, the Giants won likely the best Super Bowl ever played, they went down the field and scored the winning TD with seconds remaining. No one is going to take that away from them, don't make stupid statements and "oh woe is the Giants" stuff up.

But just because the Giants won it all in 07 doesn't mean they are some lock to win it all in 08. They couldn't even win a home playoff games in 05 and 06, with pretty much the same roster. Dallas fades badly by the time the playoffs arrive, and Favre got to the point where the cold affected him last season which is why he retired. Playing the Patriots was the best possible Super Bowl match-up for the Giants last year, if it was the Colts and maybe the Chargers too they would have lost.

As for the season opener, it's a solid enough match-up I suppose. Better than the earlier season openers before the SB winner were hosts, and even then we had the Raiders @ the Patriots. I don't think the Redskins get back to the playoffs this year, but you'd think they would start the season strong ... except they've got new coaches in charge on both sides of the ball and usually it takes some time to adjust/gel.
                  He is right though, last year the colts were getting so much credit and publicized, and the giants arent getting the credit they deserve; a week and a half after the superbowl it seemed like it had never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                    did you not see the wind, i remember you punted and it rolled all the way close to the 1. And it was still a close game.
                    Well Ladell Betts pretty much GAVE you the game in the first matchup in DC.

I commend the Giants for winning the superbowl, and yes I was rooting for them. Yes, it was one of the better performances I've seen as well. But recent history tells us that just about every one of our games are close (except that one 0-36 blowout when Mara died).

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
                      Well Ladell Betts pretty much GAVE you the game in the first matchup in DC.
                      See, I'd blame the genius who replaced Clinton Portis with Ladell Freaking JAG Betts and took over the playcalling at the goal-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        See, I'd blame the genius who replaced Clinton Portis with Ladell Freaking JAG Betts and took over the playcalling at the goal-line.
                        it still didnt look like he couldve gotten in even portis, we had at least 2 guys standing over Betts and two guys who took him down.

Comment

The only thing I will question with the Giants will be what if their pass rush isn't as good? and what if injuries actually catch up to them this year? God forbid somebody design a blocking scheme to keep the pass rush low. But anyway, the secondary could be torched if their pass rush drops as little as one notch.
                          I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
                            The only thing I will question with the Giants will be what if their pass rush isn't as good? and what if injuries actually catch up to them this year? God forbid somebody design a blocking scheme to keep the pass rush low. But anyway, the secondary could be torched if their pass rush drops as little as one notch.
                            You can't say injuries because every team suffers them and they are hard to predict. Also, what is the reason for the Giants pass rush to not be as good?

Originally posted by Halsey
                            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Kind of an interesting angle that Spags might have been the HC of the Redskins if he took the job. But honestly, even though the Redskins didn't get Spags and lost three multi-million dollar coaches haphazardly assembled together, I think they're better off now with a more stable structure and coaches more suited to take advantage of the roster. Don't overlook Blache imo, especially after Gregg Williams' abortion of a Tampa 2 that he insisted on having after 2005 despite not having the roster for it. The Redskins may not rush the passer much better, but they will stop the run better, with Blache in charge I think.

But if I was a Gaints fan, I'd be definitely glad to see the Giants play the Redskins as the opener. It's an excellent challenge to open the season and start a new potential championship run, but also the Redskins probably won't come out very strong. Again, there's a period of transition for the Redskins that you wonder if one extra preseason game (the HOF game) can overcome, plus Carlos Rogers won't play as he's trying to recover fully. Always good when you can get one leg up on the division early.
                              Last edited by Geo; 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Its just gonna be Smoot and Springs out there. I did not know that. Are the Skins gonna use the ZBS? Does anyone know? They may not have the Oline for it, but they have the RB for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information