Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vikings-Packers to open on Monday night
    March 31st, 2008 – 10:38 AM by Judd Zulgad

The NFL will announce this afternoon that the Vikings will play the Green Bay Packers in the Monday night opener at 6 p.m. Sept. 8 on ESPN, according to an industry source. As has become the custom, it will be the first game of a Monday night doubleheader on the network. The game is expected to be played at Lambeau Field and will be the first for the Packers in the post-Brett Favre era. (Do you think there will be a little talk about Favre that night?)

The Vikings also played on the opening Monday night of the 2006 season when they beat Washington in Brad Childress’ first game as head coach.

Last season, the Vikings made only one Monday night appearance. That came Dec. 17 at the Metrodome. Of course, the 2007 schedule was done long before Adrian Peterson proved himself to be one of the NFL’s top running backs and marquee attractions. Overall, the Vikings finished with two prime-time games last season. The Dec. 23 matchup against Washington was moved to Sunday night on NBC under the league’s flexible scheduling system.

For those of you who live in the Twin Cities area and don’t get ESPN, you don’t have to worry. Under NFL rules, the network must find a local station to simulcast the coverage. It’s likely that station will be KSTP (Ch. 5).

The NFL won’t announce its entire schedule today but rather just key dates associated with the opening week. This will include the opener on Thursday, Sept. 4, along with the Sept. 7 national and Sunday night games.

News about the plans for the opening game on Thursday night broke last week. That matchup will involve the Super Bowl champion New York Giants and Washington Redskins and is expected to start around 6 p.m. to avoid any conflict with the Republican National Convention.

This will be the sixth time the Vikings have opened against the Packers. A look at their previous meetings in season openers:

Sept. 16, 1962: Packers 34, Vikings 7 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 2-11-1)

Sept. 15, 1974: Vikings 32, Packers 17 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 10-4)

Sept. 6, 1992: Vikings 23, Packers 20, overtime, at Green Bay (Vikings finished 11-5 in Dennis Green’s first season)

Sept. 4, 1994: Packers 16, Vikings 10 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 10-6)

Sept. 7, 2003: Vikings 30, Packers 25 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 9-7)
    Well I got my wish for Vikings on Monday night.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

That's cool, Vikings @ Packers is a great game to open MNF for a new season.

(Although now there is no way for the Colts to play on the Fox nationally-televised afternoon game, assuming Fox still has it this year like in the last few. Dallas could be the team of course, as they were in 2006 when they played at Jacksonville, but Dallas might be too much a draw coming off a 13-3 season to not play in primetime.)
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Packers/Vikes will be a good game to watch.

Tough game for Aaron Rodgers though in Week 1. The load theoretically should be all on Rodgers with the run D that the Vikings have. Luckily the Vikings secondary has some problems.

Comment

Brett Favre/Aaron Rogers and Peterson should provide an interesting storyline for that game...Both sides of the ball will key in on those two players.

And im sure Dallas will have plenty primetime games so im not worried, even if not scheduled they will be through the latter half of the season when they choose the games(is that still happening this year?)

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Word is Oakland and Denver got the second game on monday..got no link yet.
            Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

Originally posted by Young Legend View Post
              Word is Oakland and Denver got the second game on monday..got no link yet.
              Yeah I just read the same thing on the Raiders board. Some guy said the Commisioner announced it during a press conference on the nfl network.

Comment

Giants were trying to get out of the Thanksgiving game in Dallas...so that would lead me to believe they are slated for that spot as of right now unless the NFL complies....which they did not do with the opening night game where the Giants requested the game be against the Bengals or Seahawks.
                Originally posted by Paul
                Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by 661rep View Post
                  Yeah I just read the same thing on the Raiders board. Some guy said the Commisioner announced it during a press conference on the nfl network.
                  I Seen it on NFLN.its on the bottom of the screen.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jse...o&confirm=true
                  Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

Here is the Video

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8077fe58
                    Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

Originally posted by Young Legend View Post
                      Denver @ Oakland.... hell yeaaaah

Comment

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
                        The Lions I think play on CBS this year because they rotate.

So that means its either Tennessee at Detroit or Jacksonville at Detroit.
                        Blasphemy . . . Lions should always play a division opponant on Thanksgiving. Just as the Cowboys should always play the Skins, Eagles, or Giants.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.
                        "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                          Blasphemy . . . Lions should always play a division opponant on Thanksgiving. Just as the Cowboys should always play the Skins, Eagles, or Giants.
                          I second that notion. Traditions dammit!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

If the Lions or Cowboys are playing on CBS, it's against an AFC opponent.

And as stated in the Dallas news blog, the Cowboys have played an NFC East rival on Thanksgiving only twice in the last 15 years. Both times the Redskins.
                            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

dont u think Buffalo deserves another MNF game?

After the Dallas/Bills game last year...
                              that game was amzing, the crowd was wild, the game was close

Comment

Originally posted by BufFan71 View Post
                                dont u think Buffalo deserves another MNF game?

After the Dallas/Bills game last year...
                                that game was amzing, the crowd was wild, the game was close
                                I'll agree with that, with they young guys on offense and Posluszny coming back they should be an exciting team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information