X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalites For Stiff Arms?

NFL | Stiff arms to face could become a 15-yard penalty
    Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:14:43 -0700

Charean Williams, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports the NFL's competition committee is recommending officials make stiff arms to the face a 15-yard penalty in 2008. Tennessee Titans head coach and co-chairman of the competition committee Jeff Fisher said "grabbing on or twisting" the face mask by an offensive player on a defensive player will be a 15-yard face mask penalty. Offensive players also will be flagged 15 yards for illegal hands to the face if they shove a defensive player backward with a stiff arm to the face, according to Fisher

cred 2 BoneKrusher

I don't like this. This seems like something defensive players could abuse to negate running backs who stiff arm at all.

Comment

This would be a damn shame. I have always been a big fan of the stiff arm

Comment

Setup for April 1st?

Comment

Marion Barber would be out of the league

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

seems ok to me. if you are a defender and grab and twist the ball carriers facemask its 15 yards. But if you go for the tackle get stiff armed and your facemask gets grabbed and twisted nothing happened. I just think it should go both ways.

However just a stiff arm to the face no grabbing/twisting of the facemask would still be ok imo

Comment

They do make a valid point that it is a double-standard that once again favors the offensive player.

I actually wouldn't be too much against this because I hate how more or less an offensive player can do whatever they want now while the defense has a million rules disallowing them from doing everything.

Originally posted by Halsey
              I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                They do make a valid point that it is a double-standard that once again favors the offensive player.

I actually wouldn't be too much against this because I hate how more or less an offensive player can do whatever they want now while the defense has a million rules disallowing them from doing everything.
                yeah but it would still suck.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                  yeah but it would still suck.
                  It would, but it would also suck for someone to get a hand to a face and either get a concussion or a broken neck (unlikely, but possible).

Comment

Only should be flagged for twisting the face mask not a direct arm to the face mask.
                    If defenders get called for tackling by face mask it should apply to offensive players as well

Comment

Originally posted by AllDayFootball724 View Post
                      Only should be flagged for twisting the face mask not a direct arm to the face mask.
                      If defenders get called for tackling by face mask it should apply to offensive players as well
                      yeah... alllow touching, just no twisting.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by AllDayFootball724 View Post
                        If someone performs a stiff-arm and grabs the face mask, the refs can call a penalty already. The bigger question is hands to the face. I say if they don't let defensive players do it, offensive players shouldn't be allowed either.

Comment

It seems like the competition committee is actually favoring defense over offense instead of the usually opposite.

by BoneKrusher
                          <DG> how metal unseen
                          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Damn Brian Westbrook is a beast at that... hopefully it doesn't happen.

Comment

thats awful

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information