Clear All

• slew of rule changes made

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3325273

no more force outs
    no more 5 yard facemask
    field goals are reviewable
    couple of new ways to fumble

interesting stuff i think.

the force out rule is special ed. some of the most amazing catches happen on the sideline and now defenders just get to knock them out of bounds if they are in the air??

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
      the force out rule is special ed. some of the most amazing catches happen on the sideline and now defenders just get to knock them out of bounds if they are in the air??
      Yeah this doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

Not a good change in my opinion. Might see a little less passes thrown to the outside.

Comment

This will make the field more narrow. Dont like the rule change at all.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

Could a strong guy catch a reciever and carry him out of bounds now?

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

I would imagine it would just be from impact. There would be no carrying allowed.

Comment

I would imagine it would just be from impact. There would be no carrying allowed.
                yeah, in fact they even said on first take that you cant carry a guy out.

think about it this way though, there will be a lot more cataclysmic collisions along the sidelines with DBs trying to knock them out.

im in favor of the rule change simply because it removes a non-reviewable judgment call from the refs hands.

plus im a big fan of defense and its always bugged me that the nfl just keeps on making it easier for offenses. this one goes back on that a little bit

Comment

This limits the game much more im not a fan of this move the NFL made. Glad to see fielf goals can be reviewed now...Seems like NFL is trying to get rid of pure judgement calls now... Not sure if i agree with this...

Comment

Yea, I agree it helps the defense out and I agree, I am more a defense guy than I am offense but there are better ways to do it.

With that said, I am a sucker for a sideline sexy catch. And this takes that away if the WR is in the air. And plus, it usually isn't hard to make the right call on if he would have landed or not. 90% of those calls are pretty dang obvious.

Comment

- Yeah, the no more force-out leaves me a bit uneasy too. Not sure if I really like that, even if there was occassional inconsistency with force-out before. but now it should be more cut-and-dried, just get two feet in-bounds.

- I don't think I like taking away 5-yard facemask penalties either. So we're just going to let minor facemasking slide? Unless a guy has to near kill a man by grabbing his facemask, it's not worth a penalty? I don't like that.

- I do like the option, from winning the coin toss to open the game, to defer receiving the ball to the second half like the college game features. That's excellent. I'd personally want to receive the ball to start the second half every time, myself.

- Reviewing field goals makes sense. That was an obvious move.

- Not bothered that playoff reseeding didn't go through, although I think I would have liked to have seen it. Teams like Jacksonville who post better records and are better teams than some division champ who is from a lesser division and is a lesser team (ie. 2007 Steelers) ... granted, there's something inherent to winning your division, but should the Giants really be playing at Tampa instead of the other way around? Eh.

It's funny though that everyone talks about the Colts/Titans game, because playoff reseeding wouldn't have mattered. The Colts had the second best record in the AFC. If the Browns and the fans want to still whine and cry about it, fine, but they should place the blame on themselves for losing to Oakland, Arizona, and getting swept by the Steelers.

- Also, I don't think the communication with a defensive player will help the game as much as people think. Honestly I think it just opens the door to more shady stuff.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                        Could a strong guy catch a reciever and carry him out of bounds now?
                        Yeah the ESPN article did say that if the reciever was carried out it would be a catch. The biggest one no one is talking about is the D-Players allowed to use radios now.
                        Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                        oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

We actually have a whole thread about the defensive player radios.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I don't mind the force out rule, but now they have to get rid of the two feet in bounds. Now a defender can knock a guy out after only stepping in with one foot, which is a little messed up.

If anyone isn't aware, the knock-out rule is the same in college football.

Originally posted by Halsey
                            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                              I don't mind the force out rule, but now they have to get rid of the two feet in bounds. Now a defender can knock a guy out after only stepping in with one foot, which is a little messed up.

If anyone isn't aware, the knock-out rule is the same in college football.
                              well it will separate the great receivers from the good ones if they can work to get both feet down or not...

like i said before, im a defensive minded guy and i like the fact that the nfl changed a rule to help out the D for a change after so many years of trying to increase scoring by helping the O

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information