Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Garrard signs 6 year, $60 million extension...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Garrard signs 6 year, $60 million extension...

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10765720

I think this is great...Jags fans have been expecting this for some while...

$60 million- $20 million guaranteed is a very good deal...it's between Derek Anderson's and Ben Roethlisberger's deal....

congrats David...

Good move. Now they need a true #1 reciever. And a little younger at RB. Fred Taylor won't play forever. And I don't think M-JD is a workhorse back, or #1 back. But another year, another playoff pick for me so far.
    Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Nothing against David Garrard but when a QB of his caliber, game manager who is asked to make a play every so often, nets 60 million in a deal there is something wrong. He has proven that he can be dependable at the most important position on the football team, but that is too much money in my opinion. Plus he's already 30 years old so his play is really not going to get too much better and he'll start to be on the decline before this deal is up. In the end the Jags needed to solidify stability at that position and they threw the money out there to do so and props to that but they paid a big price, IMO.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Good move, good guy, and good player. I am happy for Jags fans.

Comment

They've never really had stability there. I think they might have gotten over-excited, but I really like him as a player and it was a very smart move by the Jags to make sure he's there for the long term. They can always draft a guy in a few years and groom him to be his replacement too.

Originally posted by fenikz
          His soft D really turns me off
          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
            Nothing against David Garrard but when a QB of his caliber, game manager who is asked to make a play every so often, nets 60 million in a deal there is something wrong. He has proven that he can be dependable at the most important position on the football team, but that is too much money in my opinion. Plus he's already 30 years old so his play is really not going to get too much better and he'll start to be on the decline before this deal is up. In the end the Jags needed to solidify stability at that position and they threw the money out there to do so and props to that but they paid a big price, IMO.
            only 20 mil. guaranteed though. That is not too high of a price to pay for a great QB. If he plays great and gets all his incentives and everything, great for him and great for the Jags. If something does happen like his play declining like you suggested, it wouldn't be a huge cap hit or anything. I love Garrard and love the deal. Let's not forget who he's been throwing to. If the Jags get a great WR his numbers would go up and he would look like more than a game manager. I think it's smart on both sides and should work out well for everyone involved.
            JORDYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comment

I feel that David will start for us for at least the next 4 years.

After that though, it depends on how he ages as a QB.

Comment

IMO, David Garrard has paid his dues to earn this contract...he was drafted in the fourth round to be the heir apparent to Mark Brunell but Byron Leftwich was drafted instead and David had to sit on the bench for many years, but every time a new season started Garrard was all smiles because he knew he had a chance at starting, or at least competing for the starting job.

Leftwich kept going down with injuries and Garrard kept coming in and performing well enough to start QB controversies. In 2006 Garrard came in for an injured Leftwich and really didn't play well, the Jaguars went 2-6 their last 8 games and lost a playoff spot and finished 8-8.

At the start of 2007's offseason JDR inserted Byron Leftwich back as the Jaguars starting QB. After a dismal training camp and lackluster performance from Leftwich in pre-season, Byron Leftwich was released 9 days before the start of the regular season and David Garrard was thrust into being the starter for the team. Garrard came in and was not asked to do much, the coaches just asked him to protect the ball (something he was not good at doing in 2006). After about 5 games or so, Garrard really started to come on as a big time QB throwing for 2 touchdowns a game for a stretch of about 5 games...he also went 300+ passes without throwing a interception (a team record). Garrard missed four games due to an ankle injury he suffered against the Colts but came back strong at the end of the season, finishing strong with 18 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions. Taking the Jaguars to the playoffs and leading them to their first playoff victory in almost 10 years.

Yes, David Garrard is 30 years old but he's in great physical condition and doesn't have a lot of wear or tear on his body like other QB's would at his age. He has a strong offensive line and a strong running game that provide him security in which he doesn't have to be a gun slinger QB, but yet he can still lead the team to victory when he has to.

What some people don't understand is that this team has been in QB controversy since the days when Garrard was first drafted. This will be the first season in which the Jaguars have a true uncontested starter at the position, and how sweet it is.

Comment

I like him, i like the Jags, good move. Hopefully he wont be lazy now

Comment

Essentially they gave him Romo-money, which is about right for him. Good deal, now let's hope he's not a flash in the pan.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Worth every penny, considering what guys like Tommy Kelly and Javon Walker just got.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                        Worth every penny, considering what guys like Tommy Kelly and Javon Walker just got.
                        exactly. I still can't believe the paycheck those guys will be getting.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

worth every penny. one of my favorite players in the league.

now get him a WR and a TE.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            worth every penny. one of my favorite players in the league.

now get him a WR and a TE.
                            give Jerry Porter a chance....

and he has Marcedes Lewis and George Wrighster

Comment

Doesnt really matter if he's asked to throw the ball 40 times or 15 times he's an incredibly smart QB who doesnt make mistakes...The play vs Pittsburgh said it all, comes up huge in the clutch, and whenever he was asked to throw he had pin point accuracy on almost everything all season long...You dont have to have a gun slinger to pay him alot of money, you have a QB who can win you games as he's showed, and certainly will not lose you any games, he's smart and doesnt throw interceptions, accurate with his throws and can tuck it up and run when you leave it open...What else would you like for him to do to deserve 20 million guaranteed?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information