No announcement yet.

Lets hash this out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the way to look at it is that there is position-specific value and team-specific need to serve as the tie-breakers, or adjusters, between BPA candidates. Who are in all likelihood closely rated.
    Last edited by Geo; 04-24-2008, 02:35 AM.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I was about to make an unnecessarily long-winded post on the subject, but then I got to the end of the thread and realized that the last two posts summarize my thoughts on the subject pretty well.

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
      This topic has been hashed and rehashed, and I think it is irrelevant in the first place. The term "B.P.A" is an arbitrary term. Who has the clout to make these determinations as to which players will be the 'best' for these teams? Is it the media, fans, NFL consensus?
      Originally posted by Geo View Post
      I think the way to look at it is that there is position-specific value and team-specific need to serve as the tie-breakers, or adjusters, between BPA candidates. Who are in all likelihood closely rated.
      Pretty much all that needs to be said, imo.

Comment

As an NFL team you pretty much have to make a list and say who is the best player in the draft, second best, third best - etc.

Then you when you draft you skip over positions you're "set" on and don't want to load a bunch of money into if you already have a starter there. For example, lets say Matt Ryan is around @ number 9- cincinnati is not going to draft him even if they valued him as the number 1 player in the draft (calm down, its hypothetical example :) ) because we already have Carson Palmer - If we have room on the depth chart and need to add a quarterback, we'll do it in round 7.

Another example: Chargers have LT - lets say they have the 5th overall pick. There not going to draft D-mac. it doesn't matter how much talent you think he has. Dolphins have ronnie brown and they didn't take D-mac for a reason. You cannot afford to pay LT and D-mac on that roster (I'm pretty sure they're close to salary cap already). THey would rather have a running back out of the 3rd or 4th round to be LT's compliment - less risk, less pay, probably close production (considering this halfback will only be getting the ball 1/3rd of the time that LT gets it).

This league is only a two-back league for the teams who don't have a ton of money tied up in QB's in WR's. Addai will probably never have as good of a compliment as Fred Taylor's Maurice-jones Drew because the colts pay peyton / wayne / harrison (and even gonzalez) a lot of money already.

But basically you take the best player available that can win the starting job (or so you think) over your current starter until the 4-7th round, in which point if you're not looking for starters, you draft for depth (which would be BPA really).
        Last edited by Bengalsrocket; 04-24-2008, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information