Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets hash this out.

The draft question-Best player or need?

I have been roving around the team sites, as draft weekend is approaching.

I have several friends coming over for the draft, and everyone talks about needs.

I seem to be in the minority, in that I think most of the time it is better for a team to draft best player available. The only time I would disagree (and even then, I have reservations) is when a team can legitamately compete for the superbowl. When I say that, I am talking about a team that is widely regarded as a top team in their respective conference.

Generally, I think a team is better off taking the best player available. Here is MY logic:

1)-In a few years if you draft best player available, you have a tradeable commodity.

2)-A team can always use a good player, even if it is not a position of need.

3)-No one can tell who might get injured throughout a season.

There are more arguements, and I would like to hear them. For my favorite team, drafting for need has not worked out well (Carpenter, Spears, ect.)

So...can I get some opinions? Is drafting for need overrated?????
    I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

personally i am more fond of taking BPA to an extent. theres alway a couple positions on most teams where you just dont consider drafting. but as a hole im more for bpa.

Comment

BPA all the way
      thats why i want McFadden

Comment

It is always a mixture of philosophies IMHO. I say you take the player that is most better than the one you've got starting at the position the prospect is playing.
        Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
        oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

I go subscribe to the Hybird philosophy where you draft the BPA that fits your top 5 needs

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
          Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

Best Player on the First day then Address needs.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

BPA....if you need a CB and DRC is available but DMAC is also there....you have to take DMAC...

Comment

Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
                BPA....if you need a CB and DRC is available but DMAC is also there....you have to take DMAC...
                Not if you have LT already on your team.
                Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Comment

Okay, LT is the exception. I might admit that.
                  I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

I heard there is a rumor that the Chargers might take a RB to replace Turner in the first round like a week ago but I havent heard anything since so I dont know.

I say if your sitting there with McFadden there and You have LT you still take him, That would be a Sick Duo. So I still say BPA on Day One.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

BPA has always been the theory I went by, but to a certain extent.
                      The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                        I go subscribe to the Hybird philosophy where you draft the BPA that fits your top 5 needs
                        Yup. BPA might be a CB, but that might be top need #4. It's still a need, so fill it with the BPA.

Comment

I go by the hybrid theory as described above.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                          WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dynasty View Post
                            I heard there is a rumor that the Chargers might take a RB to replace Turner in the first round like a week ago but I havent heard anything since so I dont know.

I say if your sitting there with McFadden there and You have LT you still take him, That would be a Sick Duo. So I still say BPA on Day One.
                            Mr. Millen is that you?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Comment

I don't think you can go with either one PERMANENTLY. Say McFadden falls to where the Vikings are. He would obviously be the BPA, but there's no way that they should pick him.

Say D-Mac is there at 7 for the Pats(with no dire needs), then they would be crazy not to take him.

It really depends on who you think you can take later to fill a need. The Packers took Harrell last year when most people wanted a TE or RB. But it all was good in Cheesetown.

Picking by need is by far the riskier drafting technique.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information