• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Grades

Howd your team do?
    Early I know but its the offseason.

Oakland Raiders
    1.Darren McFadden RB Arkansas:We already had a strong running game but McFadden only makes it better.He can catch,run,and throw the ball.The Raiders also asked him if can return kicks so he may do that as well.I still feel that we could traded down though and gotten more picks.Which I think would have been better but Al asked for to much.I give this pick a B+.

2.Trade for Deangel Hall CB: We got him for a good deal.Hes a great corner. But its another move we didnt need to make.He also isnt cheap.he doesnt fill a need (imo) just upgrades a position of strength.I still feel we could have put that 2nd rounder to more use.B-

3.Trade for Mario Henderson:This was a horrible trade and the pick was a reach.He showed some promise in the preseason though and is supposed to at least be competing for the starting job at RT. D+

4a.Tyvon Branch DB : This was a bad pick.DB is the last thing we need. I understand he could return for us but we could have taken someone later in the draft. D+

4b. Arman Schields: We passed on Tony Hills for this guy.Now were supposed to depend on Kwame Harris to protect Jamarcus. Merriman should be pretty happy right now.At least Jared Allen is gone.On top of that this guy may not make the team.And now here we are again without a good NB. D+

6. Trevor Scott DE Buffalo: We finally go DE.An actual position of need. Ive heard good things about this guy. A-

7. Chaz Schillens WR: this guy probably wont make the team.Radovich could have though and maybe two or three other guys. D-

Overall I would give this draft a C.The Hall trade was ok.The McFadden and Scott picks were good. but the rest of the draft certainly wasnt very good.
    Last edited by doingthisinsteadofwork; 04-27-2008, 06:14 PM.
    "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Pretty much agreed on this one... I like the Chaz pick a little more because he has amazing measurables--all the physical tools to be a huge threat in the NFL. But Tyvon in the 4th? Shields in the 4th? We could have had a NT like Ahtyba Rubin or offensive lineman like Nicks, Hills, etc. We could have addressed both positions. Instead, we get a DB and a WR. If the Raiders needed a KR so bad, stick McFadden or Hall back there. Those two picks hurt...

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Kansas City Chiefs:

1a.Glenn Dorsey, DT: WOW!Never in my dreams did I expect him to be there at 5.he gives KC the prescense in the middle we have not had in a long timeA+++

1b.Branden Albert this was almost too good to be true.To land the premiere defensive player in this draft then still land the guy we were targeting at 5 with the 15th pick A++

2. Brandon Flowers, CB: Someone must really like KC for us to somehow land Flowers in the 2nd.Perfect fir in the Cover 2 system and will start right away A++

3a. Jamaal Charles, RB: af first was not a fan of this pick but the more I think about it the more I like it.LJ can wear defenders down then bring Charles in to break a long one A

3b.Brad Cottam, TE: Not a fan of this pick to be honest.we could have gotten him in the 4th IMHO.Should have gone OL or DE here C

3c.DaJuan Morgan, S: solid pick puts a lot of pressure on Pollard to improve this year or Morgan will take over B+

4. William Franklin WR: size speed and a great compliment to Bowe may start right away B

5.Brandon Carr, CB: don't know much about him but have heard good things about Carr so I'll give him a chance B-

6a. Barry Richardson OT/G: will more then likely move to guard here but is big and should help out the run game B+

6b. Kevin Robinson WR/KR: solid pick the more I read on him the more I like should help on offense and in the return game

7a. Brian Johnston DE: a steal at this point IMHO.From reading his bio he sounds alot like JA A

7b.Micheal Merritt TE: WHO? F

Overall: A
      Last edited by T-RICH49; 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Patriots:

1. ILB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee - Able to acquire him a bit later than #7 and picked up an extra third round pick. B

2. CB Terrence Wheatley, Colorado - Pretty good prospect who fits the scheme but was a bit of a reach. B-

3. OLB Shawn Crable, Michigan - A decent enough value and someone who projects well into Vrabel's spot. B+

3. QB Kevin O'Connell, San Diego St. - Tom Brady has lacked a suitable backup and Kevin has potential. C

4. CB Jonathan Wilhite, Auburn - Not the biggest fan of his because he doesn't add anything Wheatley lacks. C-

5. WR Matt Slater, UCLA - Versatile player who adds some special teams value as well and should contribute. C

6. ILB Bo Ruud, Nebraska - A few guys I would have preferred but is a decent value and project pick. C+

The Patriots also picked up a 2009 second-round pick from the Chargers via trade, so that adds to the value of the draft.

Overall Grade: B-

Comment

The only reason I can find to be unhappy with the Colts draft is Mike Hart. Other than that, I'll reserve my judgement on a grade.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
            Kansas City Chiefs:

1.Glenn Dorsey, DT: WOW!Never in my dreams did I expect him to be there at 5.he gives KC the prescense in the middle we have not had in a long time then to land Branden Albert this was almost too good to be true.To land the premiere defensive player in this draft then still land the guy we were targeting at 5 with the 15th pick A++

2. Brandon Flowers, CB: Someone must really like KC for us to somehow land Flowers in the 2nd.Perfect fir in the Cover 2 system and will start right away A++

3a. Jamaal Charles, RB: af first was not a fan of this pick but the more I think about it the more I like it.LJ can wear defenders down then bring Charles in to break a long one A

3b.Brad Cottam, TE: Not a fan of this pick to be honest.we could have gotten him in the 4th IMHO.Should have gone OL or DE here C

3c.DaJuan Morgan, S: solid pick puts a lot of pressure on Pollard to improve this year or Morgan will take over B+

4. William Franklin WR: size speed and a great compliment to Bowe may start right away B

5.Brandon Carr, CB: don't know much about him but have heard good things about Carr so I'll give him a chance B-

6a. Barry Richardson OT/G: will more then likely move to guard here but is big and should help out the run game B+

6b. Kevin Robinson WR/KR: solid pick the more I read on him the more I like should help on offense and in the return game

7a. Brian Johnston DE: a steal at this point IMHO.From reading his bio he sounds alot like JA A

You forgot Branden Albert in all of this.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Titans draft
              1. Chris Johnson - B- - He's growing on me
              2. James Jones - B- - Solid pick, just pisses me off we didn't trade up for one of the receivers
              3. Craig Stevens- C+ - ehhh, a good blocking tight end is good but, ehhh.
              4. William Hayes - F - Don't even know who the hell he is.
              5. Lavelle Hawkins - C - He's not going to develop into a goto guy. He's more of what we already have.
              6. Stanford Keglar- C+ Keep the special teams good
              7. Cary Williams - B+ - We've hit with our last 2 round 7 corners (Hill's nothing special but better than most 7th rounders). Hopefully the same here.

Overall C+

Comment

Originally posted by EtrnlDarkness View Post
                Titans draft

4. William Hayes - F - Don't even know who the hell he is.

Overall C+
                classic quote
                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

GIANTS

1: Kenny Philips- Safety from the "U" who brings excellent talent and character to our team. Excellent value and HUGE need. A

2: Terrell Thomas- Nice CB who is well coached from USC and Pete. Physical with long arms who was definately a "Spags pick" ala Jay Alford last year. We need talent and mainly youth at CB anyway, but perhaps a slight reach. B+

3. "Super" Mario Manningham- WR from Ann Arbor who is no doubt a playmaker. Has some character issues, but so did Ahmad Bradshaw, that payed off pretty well, huh? IF he can keep his head on straight, it's a major steal deserving of an A, but we'll see, for now he's undecided on my part.

4. Bryan Kehl- a LB from BYU(made jballa happy) who is a VERY smart kid and good tackler. Added some LB depth which is nice. Don't know much about him, but I trust Reese. I'm not too excited about this pick, so I'll give it just a B

5- Jonathan Goff- A MLB from Vandy who I felt was a MAJOR steal here. Hard hitter, nice ethic and character. Love this kid who is more depth at LB, a nice special teams player and perhaps a future replacement for Pierce? A-

6a- Andre' Woodson- Another Wildcat QB on our roster, for now. I think he's a day 1 talent, but mechanics and poor senior bowl dropped him, ALOT. I love hefty lefty, and don't care for Wright or Carr, so I like it, but it depends who makes the team, as I feel Andre' will. I liked him all through college, but it wasn't a need at all. Ah, what the hell A

6b- Robert Henderson- A DE I never heard of from Southern Miss. He may be good, but I have no clue. All I know, is he's a late round DL, and he's not Eric Foster. F

All in all, an excellent Giants draft resulting in a total A- or B+
                  We ALL bleed scarlet
                  New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                  UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                  Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                  BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                    Kansas City Chiefs:

1a.Glenn Dorsey, DT: WOW!Never in my dreams did I expect him to be there at 5.he gives KC the prescense in the middle we have not had in a long timeA+++

1b.Branden Albert this was almost too good to be true.To land the premiere defensive player in this draft then still land the guy we were targeting at 5 with the 15th pick A++

This is the person that was complaining excessively a month ago because the Chiefs weren't doing anything in the off-season.
                    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

GIANTS

1. Kenny Phillips- Falls into our laps we scoop him up. Giants lost Gibril to the Raiders, we pick up a safety probably better than Gibril even now. Although i think his skills make him more fit to be a SS, I think he starts FS from day one and does an above average job. A/A+

2. Terrell Thomas- A good fit for our scheme, he can blitz well, tackles decently, has nice long arms and height. Good for at least a nickel or dime.B-/B

3. SUPER Mario Manningham- we are apparently really high on the guy. Has some character issues but we have a great locker room and staff to support him. Gets great seperation, decent hands, runs good routes, great after the catch. Probably going to be a reserve if Plax or Toomer get hurt. B+

4. Bryan Kehl- could play SLB or WLB in our system, at worst will be a very good special teamer. B/B-

5. Jonathan Goff- brought in to eventually replace Antonio Pierce i presume, he is intelligent and constantly improving upon every year, close to 100 tackles two years in a row, is a pretty good blitzer.B/B-

6a. Andre Woodson- very very good value here, he has his faults but overall he could develop into a very good backup and maybe a starter years from now.B

6b. Robert Henderson- a dominant pass rusher, probably ideal for our ace package of 4 DEs on 3rd and long. Maybe a diamond in the rough?C+

Overall id give us a solid B/B+
                      Last edited by BaLLiN; 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to grade each pick. There are a lot of guys that we drafted that I've never watched myself. So I'll holdoff from judging. I will say that my initial reaction to this draft is better than my initial feelings about our draft last year. And last years draft turned out to be pretty damn productive.

Overall, I'll give us a solid B.

Bengals

1.) Keith Rivers - LB - USC

Ugh. Everyone knew that New Orleans was going to trade up and get Ellis from us. Everyone! How could our FO not pull the trigger? Hell, we could have given then the same exact deal that New Orleans offered! We had two 3rd rounders! Argh! Being a fan of this team is sooooo hard sometimes. Anyway, Keith Rivers is a decent pick. I don't like this talk about moving him to play MLB. The guy was an All-American playing on the outside; keep him there. I do like Rivers more than Harvey and McClevin. We know have three studs at LB in Keith Rivers, Odell Thurman, and Ahmad Brooks. Would have loved to have taken Ellis, but Rivers isn't too bad either.

2.) Jerome Simpson - WR - Coastal Carolina

Don't know anything about this guy. Apparently he's fast, he's got good hands, and he can make plays. With or without Chad Johnson, the Bengals needed to get deeper at WR. You could line a broom out as a wideout and I'm convinced that Carson Palmer could make it a Pro-Bowler. The Bengals apparently did a lot of research on him, and Mike Lombardi praised the pick on the NFL Network. So we'll see...

3.) Pat Sims - DT - Auburn

This guy had better be a stud for us. This is the pick that it would have taken to trade up for Ellis. So, basically, the Bengals are saying that Rivers/Sims > Ellis. Okay, I'll buy that. I really don't like Pat's attitude, but he's shown flashes. He'll get the opportunity to see the field pretty quickly. The Bengals needed to address a DT.

3.) Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida

This guy is fast, he was captain of the Gators, but the only thing that worries me is the lack of success that Florida receivers usually have in the NFL. But, like I said, with or without Chad, the Bengals needed to get deeper at WR. Chris Henry is gone, Chad is being a *****, and TJ is in his final year of his contract.

4.) Anthony Collins - OT - Kansas

Pretty good value here. The Bengals needed to address their O-Line, and their coaches say that he can play everywhere. Can't argue with that. Our line was really beat up last year, so it's a good pick.

5.) Jason Shirley - DT - Fresno St.

The only thing I don't like about this pick is that with Shirley's past, it's ammo for people who want to keep playing the 'Bungle' card. However, I've like Shirley a lot for months. I'm really excited we got him. If he's good then everyone will forget about his issues...if he's a bust, then he's a 5th rounder and we can just cut ties.

6.) Corey Lynch - S - App. St.

The 'Wolverine Killer'! He's the one that blocked Michigans field goal to upset the Wolverines. This kid looks like he'll be a great gunner and contributer to special teams.

6.) Matt Sherry - TE - Villanova

It's hard to find anything about this guy. Mayock and Kiper both seemed to like him, and said that he caught everything thrown his way. Not sure how he'll see the field though with our current TEs.

7.) Angelo Craig - DE - UC

It's good to have a Cincinnati Bearcat on our team. He's undersized, so I'd imagine we'll play him at LB. Could play special teams, I guess.

7.) Mario Urrutia - WR - UL

Big, big wideout. He had a really good sophomore year, so hopefully he can bring that fire and make the team.

Comment

From the Giants draft discussion:

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          Let's break it all down:

1. Kenny Phillips
                          -it pained me to see Jenkins and Cason off the board. At that point in the draft, I liked Phillips with the 31 over anyone. Ive always been skeptical on him. When i saw him, I personally thought that his flaws were very correctable, and felt that most of his issues were because he tried to makeup for other's mistakes which made him look worse in the end. However, you hear scouts and they tell you he's not very good. Me personally, I feel that he will be a very good player for us. He'll trust his teammates, and he will have a dominant pass rush in front of him. I feel he'll revert back to his sophomore form, as most of his mistakes were mental and were due to a lack of confidence in his teammates. He should be our SS, he can stop the run, blitz, and cover the TE in man coverage. Thats just what we need.

2. Terrell Thomas
                          Im unsure of this one. Id feel a lot better on it if he had a better 40 time. He sounds the part, and when you put on the film he looks the part, but injury concerns and a slow 40 and hip movement scare me. I wanted an elite CB from this draft, I don't know if Thomas is that kind of guy. He can move to FS and be a dominant FS, but we drafted him as a CB. We'll see how this one goes, this was a gamble.

3. Mario Manningham
                          Absolutely love it. His character concerns are way overrated. He should be Toomer's heir on the left side. For a late 3rd, excellent value and im really happy with this pick. Great pick. This spells the beginning of the end for Sinorice. This pick indicates we're hoping Manningham will take over for Toomer, and entrench Steve Smith in the slot. That leaves no room for Sinorice. This is a wakeup call for him. Either step it up, or good bye. I have a feeling the latter will come true, as ive seen nothing from him to make me believe he'll make the leap we've been waiting for.

4. Bryan Kehl
                          Ive said all along all we needed was a depth LB on the weakside. He's just that. Great instincts, great character, he'll be serviceable behind Wilkinson. He fits with what we want, high character leaders with smarts and good production. I like it.

5. Jonathan Goff
                          Absolutely LOVE this pick. He's a younger Antonio Pierce. He'll be our eventual MIKE when Pierce has to hang it up. And he'll learn under Pierce too. Great player, the sledgehammer type of MIKE we need in our scheme, and has great intelligence, leadership, and studies a ton of film. He's PERFECT. Absolutely love him. We stole him. We're so stacked at LB now.

6. Andre Woodson
                          Believe it or not, when i projected the qb talent in this draft, I rated Woodson #2. I liked him that much. There was no way he shouldve fell so far. But he did, and we potentially land a solid back up to Eli. This pick is great for several reasons.

-It gives us a quality developmental backup to Eli
                          -it could mean we get to cut Carr in PS
                          -No more Anthony Wright
                          -if he does pan out, imagine if he does which I personally feel is possible, we now have a very valuable trading commodity 2 to 3 years down the road. And for a 6th round pick, we invested barely anything for what could be a potentially a great trading commodity. Can't lose with that.

6. Robert Henderson
                          .....who?

Overall, I really like this draft class. Once again, Reese did what we wanted him to do: he addressed needs in the right order, got high character quality guys, and added depth. We might not have any stars in this draft, but we have a lot of solid guys, and thats what wins championships. Only questionable pick was in round 2, but even if that doesn't pan out, you have to like what Reese did here.

I wouldve liked to have seen him be more aggressive early and grab Mike Jenkins, but hey what can you do. He seems to like to stand pat with his picks. One thing i did like was i felt we needed to address CB and Safety within the first 2 rounds. He did just that. Now the real question is, did we get the good Kenny Phillips or the bad one? And did we reach on a subpar CB? Those questions we won't know the answers to until the season starts.

Overall i give it a solid B for now.

Comment

2. CB Terrence Wheatley, Colorado - Pretty good prospect who fits the scheme but was a bit of a reach. B-

That was one of the worst picks in the draft, lol.

I watched Will Franklin absolutely destroy this clown. Huge reach for a player that was not going to get taken that early and has some character concerns? B-???

Comment

1.Leodis McKelvin-A+-- gives us a corner who SHOULD end up being a lock down corner.

2. James Hardy-B+-- finally gives us a big wr, good hands, good speed, a HUGE threat in the endzone, something we havent had since Moulds.

3. Chris Ellis-B-- good pickup, becomes a situational pass rusher, can get to the QB

4. Reggie Corner-C-- gives us another corner, greer and mcgee's contracts are up after this year, hes a ballhawk who isnt afraid to get physical.

4. Derek Fine- D-- i was hoping to get a tru pass recieving TE in the draft, or Possibly Martellus Bennet, but those damn Cowboys, always ruining everything for buffalo fans

5. Alvin Bowman- B-- extremely athletic, should be a great special teamer, and possibily a starter in the future.

6. Xavier Omon- A-- well, only reason i give this an A, is because i LOVE this pick. Thie guy can run the ball....maybe he can play fullback--ala Crockett-- i think he is gonna be a steal

Demetrius Bell- N/A

Steven Johnson- c-- could be a steal at Wr for us in the 7th

Kennard Cox-- N/a wont be anything more than a practice squad player IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information