Jaguars.com Senior Editor Slams Mel Kiper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaguars.com Senior Editor Slams Mel Kiper

Vic Ketchman, Jaguars.com's senior editor and the instigator of the whole "#1- New England Patriots*" power rankings "scandal" earlier this year, has this to say to Mel Kiper.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6918

"Come on, Mel, do you honestly believe the Jaguars should’ve traded for Taylor? How many years could the Jaguars expect Taylor to play at the level of his salary? For that matter, for how many years could the Jaguars expect Taylor to be a productive every-downs end? Two, three?...

Let me give you a peek into what would’ve happened had the Jaguars traded for Taylor. ...

The regular season would’ve rolled around and after about three or four games, some hack of a sportswriter would’ve dared ask Jack Del Rio this question: “Coach, Jason Taylor only has one sack through the first three games. Are you concerned?”

Del Rio, of course, would’ve been forced into a hard denial and the sportswriter would’ve immediately become one of those poop-negative scribes who just doesn’t want the team to win. Three games and one sack later, the question would be asked again and the routine would repeat itself for the remainder of the season.

Gee, I think I’ve seen this movie before.

By season’s end, Taylor’s first year with the Jaguars would be rationalized as an adjustment year. His second season will be much different. You’ll see.

No we don’t. By midseason of year two, we’re starting to get the idea that football, the young man’s game, is nearing an end for a guy on whom the Jaguars spent a first-round pick to acquire. Meanwhile, Harvey is developing into one of the top defensive ends in the game. In the second year of his career, he’s near the top of the league in sacks and now it’s become obvious to one and all, even the fans who want to trade for every old-timer in the league who possesses a recognizable name, that a terrible mistake has been made."

OHhhhhh that kind of slam

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
      OHhhhhh that kind of slam
      You just came to see if there was a video.

Comment

Shut up Mel, Harvey will be better, you'll see!!!

Like it or not, Championship windows aren't open very often. Do they have time to wait for Harvey to develop? I guess we'll see. Jason Taylor is still beasting it.

Comment

vic ketchman is one of the best team sports writers out there...he mixes his sarcasm perfectly with unbiasedness...<<<< is that a word?

Comment

For a late second rounder to get Jason Taylor is really good for maybe a year only. He is an incredible athlete and really good at rushing the passer, but to spend a 2nd rounder on probably a 1 year player, its really not that good of a deal.

Maybe if they did one of those incentives things, not on production but on how many years he plays. If he plays 1 then its worth a 3rd rounder, if he plays 2 then 2nd rounder seems like a much easier deal for the Jags.

Comment

I would necessarily call it "unbiased" to claim the the player your team didn't get would have sucked and the player your team did get will be awesome, but I don't think the Jaguars picking the young tandem of Harvey and Groves over pursuing a possibly unfocused and aging edge rusher was that bad a move either.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                For a late second rounder to get Jason Taylor is really good for maybe a year only. He is an incredible athlete and really good at rushing the passer, but to spend a 2nd rounder on probably a 1 year player, its really not that good of a deal.

Maybe if they did one of those incentives things, not on production but on how many years he plays. If he plays 1 then its worth a 3rd rounder, if he plays 2 then 2nd rounder seems like a much easier deal for the Jags.
                So the Dolphins would accept a 2010 draft pick for Taylor?

Comment

Well this argument is too early to have anyway, if Harvey ends up being and elite edge rusher, and Groves ends up pretty damn good, I'd take that over 2-3 years of Jason Taylor...Of course hindsight is 20/20, but judging ahead of time, I'd rather have Harvey and Groves over Jason Taylor, its not like the Jags are some incredibly old team...They are young in alot of key positions, I'd prefer the young guys, they are both local with one guy being from Florida and should have motivation to want to work as hard as they can.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by JT Jag View Post
                    So the Dolphins would accept a 2010 draft pick for Taylor?
                    No, hopefully Taylor could make his decision about coming back before the draft, which is hard to ask from him, but id be a 2009 pick. I think it would be fine for both teams. Dolphins because theyd get something out of it, and Taylor may not be a great fit at OLB, also a team rebuilding doesnt need an old talent being payed as much as he is. Jags because they get an elite pass rusher.

Comment

Hey,somebody disagrees with Mel Kiper! Let's all care!

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Boston View Post
                        Hey,somebody disagrees with Mel Kiper! Let's all care!
                        Seriously. This was not worth a thread in the NFL forum.

by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen
                        <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                          It worked for the Patriots when the got Corey Dillon.

Comment

The Jags are a pass rush away from the super bowl and Taylor can get you at least 10 sacks easily. We'll see if Harvey can get at least that his first year.

This will really look bad if Taylor has a monster year and Groves and Harvey's sacks combined don't match taylor's.

The Jags are simply in win now mode.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                            Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                              The Jags are a pass rush away from the super bowl and Taylor can get you at least 10 sacks easily. We'll see if Harvey can get at least that his first year.

This will really look bad if Taylor has a monster year and Groves and Harvey's sacks combined don't match taylor's.

The Jags are simply in win now mode.
                              That's exactly right. Everyone gets caught up in the "we need to get younger players" deal. Not everyone needs to. A window of opportunity lasts a maximum of five years for a core of a team. Jason Taylor helps this team in their current window more than Harvey and Groves could

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information